What's new

primus 250 or 360 (1 Viewer)

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
How much of a difference is there between the 2? I would be looking for a good music/HT set. Could I just run the 250's with a sub and be no different then the 360, or are the 360's that much better to justify the difference in price? How do 5 1/4 speakers compare to 6 1/2 speakers?

And should any surround sound speakers match the fronts? ie a surround with a 6 1/2 inch speaker with the 360's? Or can a 5 1/4 surround work just fine?

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
ok let me ask it a different way....

Is there normally a signifcation difference between front speakers when moving from dual 5" speaker to 6" speakers? I imagine the 6" speakers would give a sightly fuller (if that is a word) sound.

Again i would play music through them too, my initial thought is to go with the 6"ers but if I could afford it i would go with somthing that had dual 8", so where is the line?

James Phung

Second Unit
I think the advantage the 360 has over the 250 is the bass output. If you got a good sub then the 250 should perform equally. If you plan on doing a lot of music listening w/o a sub then the 360 would be better.

A 6" surround would be better than a 5.25" surround (of course) but would it be preferred to match them with the front according to their size it doesn't really matter IMO.

I was considering the 360s but ended up with Infinity Alpha 50s which are on clearance for about the same price of the 360s. If you're willing to get the 360s, definitely see if you can find the Alphas instead, they're much better with 1" tweeters, 5.25" midrange, and dual 8" woofers. You can get them authorized and direct from infinity/harman on ebay for a good bargain now.

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
Those do look pretty nice, I'll look for a good deal. What surrounds are you using with them... I hear alot about how important it is to match them.

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like the Alpha are being phased out, i'll assume for betas, alot of places seem to have them on sale or out of stock and no longer carrying them. Any truth to that?

James Phung

Second Unit
I'm using Infinity Alpha 20 bookshelfs (6.5") as my surrounds (which I had a hard time finding). I had Primus 150s (which worked well) before I replaced them with the Alpha 20s.

The betas replaced the Alphas, some feel the Alphas were still better than the betas. I haven't heard anything about infinity coming out with a new line to replace the betas as of yet.

If you like the betas, I think an even better deal would be the Infinity Kappas. Onecall.com has the Infinity Kappa 400 towers for $700/pair on clearance. These speakers use to be $2000/pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks