What's new

Primer and FAQ (1 Viewer)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I was just reading through the Primer and FAQ, which is all great and everything, except that i stumbled across this:

I do beleive that's incorrect, and quite confusing. People are COMMONLY confused when they venture into the realm of "6.1" and are easily fooled into buying stuff they don't need or understand, and are frequently told flat-out lies about Dolby Digital EX, and DTS ES. I'm sure many of you know this, but it does need to be changed in the FAQ.
1. Dolby Digital EX aka Dolby Digital 5.1 EX. This is NOT a 6.1 source. TRUE 6.1 is 6.1 discrete channels of audio coming off the dvd, and this is non-existant in the realm of Dolby Digital. DD EX is 5.1 with a matrixed rear back channel.
2. DTS ES: comes in two flavours: matrix and discrete.
a) DTS ES matrix: is almost totally identical to Dolby Digital EX, in fact i beleive they pay royalties to Dolby for using the same processing, except that it's applied to a DTS encoded track instead of DD. Again, this is 5.1 with a matrixed rear back channel.
b) DTS ES discrete: is the only TRUE 6.1 format around, and uses 6.1 discrete channels coming off the disc. It's quite rare on movies, a few do have DTS ES discrete though, gladiator is the first that comes to mind. There are a couple more, but they are rare.

VERY frequently, DD EX, and DTS ES are called "6.1" even though they are not. And it is my understanding that recievers listed with DTS ES, if they do not clearly say "discrete", are of the matrixed variety. In reality, the difference between DTS ES matrix and discrete is probably ridiculously small to unnoticable.

Joe Wyant

Grip
I don't really know the tech. stuff, all I know is I really like how the rear center sounds on my system. I have been a little disapointed with dd ex movies, but the dts es sound great.

joe

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
herm...i'll try, I'm kinda new at this but here goes :)

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...082#post513082[/url]
well, i couldn't tell if that had too many http:// s, so here's a manual paste:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...082#post513082
Whew. Ok, well in case i still goofed, its there on your Beginner's Primer and FAQ, perhaps 1/3 to 1/4 the way down and the post is titled "Going from Dolby Surround to 5.1 audio" Its at the end of the post, the whole section title "So what the heck is 6.1?" And feel free to edit what i've said, because i am by no means an expert on this, but in my search for a great home theater, i've taken quite a bit of time to hobble together enough about 6.1 to know that that portion of the FAQ needs some more explanation, or it's very likely to confuse people even more.
Well, I was also looking for an in-depth article i read online here somewhere, but i can't seem to find it. This internet is just too big :frowning: I thought it was on the SMR site, but I'm only seeing bits and peices of the info scattered around, not in one article. No matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks