Primary music speakers, not fronts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeMcGrew, Nov 7, 2002.

1. MikeMcGrew

MikeMcGrew Stunt Coordinator

I need some music only speakers for a 20x18 living room. I am considering the S36II's and the S38II's by JBL. I can't believe the difference in sound in these two speaker types. I figured because they were so close in series, they would be close in sound. To be honest, I think I like the 36's better. They seen to have crisper, clearer highs ans mids. I am not interested in using this set of speakers for my HT, just for music. I listen to all kinds of music and have a pretty decent sub if I need to incorporate it but I'd rather not. Does anyone have any suggestions for me please. I'm starting to get grumpy about the whole thing because there are sooo many options out there. My budget is less than $300.00 total for 2 speakers (and shipping if need be).

2. MikeMcGrew

MikeMcGrew Stunt Coordinator

Hello???? Did I say something wrong??? I can't get anyone to reply to my posts. Is there some sort of secret code???[​IMG]

3. Charles Elliot

You may want to take a look at Axiom speakers available via the web, or if you will consider building cabinets, look into the Adire Audio kits (their HE10.1 is oriented towards music systems). Both of these systems are very highly praised.

Hope this helps.

4. Curt Gilker

Curt Gilker Agent

Mike -
    If you are set on the JBLs, I would re-evaluate the S38s, primarily for the low-end bass response. Since your budget is fixed, the speakers you buy will have to produce the full range of sound.
    Personally, I second the Axiom recommendation. I have a set of M3Ti's, but the M22Ti's are also highly regarded. I am 100% music, and I love them.
    Axiom
    Axiom also has a "factory outlet" that will save you more money. This is how I bought mine, and I could not find the imperfection (still looking - grin).
    Axiom has outstanding customer service, with a return guarantee, so a trial is risk-free and you can do it in your own home with your equipment.

5. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

I, too have been looking at these two speakers (the S38's and the S36's) as I've posted elsewhere and have also been surprised that I have preferred the sound of the S36 every time head to head.
    But..... this is at 4 different Best Buys, whose setups can be charitably be described as mediocre so it may not be a fair comparison (S38's at 3 of the Best Buys mounted vertically, not horizontally, on store had one facing up, and one facing down, one had them wired out of phase).
    I finally listened to them at a 5th Best Buy and was very impressed by their sound for the first time.
    If you are going with the S36's you will need a very good sub as they don't go low at all.
    There is one internet store selling the white one's for $175 a pair, a great price.
    Hope this helps...

6. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

If you like the JBL studio line, I think you'll have a more satisfying experience w/ something like the S26 and a well-integrated sub. Even the S38 just does not get low enough for bass guitar, kick drum, etc. for my tastes.
    Something to think about.
    S26 plus that $99 Dayton sub from PartsExpress would be pretty sweet.
    If you want to stick w/ just a pair of bookshelf speakers, you might consider these:
    http://www.htdaudio.com/levthremains.html