Primal for dirt cheap

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JamesH, Jan 5, 2004.

1. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Primal is $9.99 at the EBgames website, brand new. I picked it up for the even lower $6.99 Xmas sale price a week ago and it got here today. At this price, I highly recommend Primal. I was expecting a Devil May Cry knockoff, but it's actually more of an adventure game in the vein of Ico. The combat sucks(basically mash L & R buttons until the enemies are dead), but combat has been pretty infrequent in the first few hours of play. You mainly explore some stunning environments and solve a few puzzles while advance the story(which is pretty good so far). The voice acting and presentation are also great, in fact, better than most $50 games. Gamespot has a review that seems very accurate if you want more info, although I might have scored it a half point higher myself(8.5). My main complaints are that you can't jump freely(you jump by pressing toward the ledge you want to climb), and you can't attack when not in a battle. They don't really affect the gameplay, but I feel a bit confined not being able to hop around or smack stuff at my discretion.

Forgot to add, Rygar is also 9.99. I bought it a long time ago, and for a solid Devil May Cry knockoff based loosely on mythology, look no further.

2. Alanna

Alanna Second Unit

And I thought I had scored a deal when I got Primal for $20 at EB back several months ago. =) Its a good game, I recommend it highly (although I never finished it). When you finally get to switch back and forth between the main "tough chick" character and the gargoyal things get spiced up a bit. I'm surprised the game didn't do better, its good stuff and edgier than most 'adventure' titles which are usually aimed at the younger crowds.

Rygar is awesome too. Paid $50 for this and never regretted it. Short, yes, but incredibly sweet. The enviroments are incredible and there's just enough flavor from the NES games to make it a little nostalgic. Buy this game. Now. So Tecmo will make another.

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I loved Primal. A must have game for PS2 owners, IMO. Especially if you have HDTV.

-Dave

4. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I like Primal enough, but I can't play it without getting severely nauseous, thanks to the camera. It's the only game in my 300+ collection that actually makes me physically ill after a few minutes. [​IMG]

I agree that other than the camera issues, the game is quite cool.

5. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

The only time the camera bugs me is when Scree climbs on walls, otherwise it seems like every other 3rd person game. Dave, I didn't know this game supported HD, how do you enable it?

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

It's not true HD, but it supports 480p. Just hold down X and Triangle after the PS2 logo appears and you'll get a message about enabling progressive scan. At least on my tv it made quite a difference.

BTW: One thing that really made this game stand out was the voice acting. As the game progressed, the characters really became alive due to the excellent voice overs.

-Dave

7. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

480p is good enough for me, I can't even tell the difference between 480p and 1080i on my 27inch at normal viewing distance. When I started playing Primal, I thought the crisp graphics would look great in high-def but assumed it was just wishful thinking.

After you mentioned it though, I opened the manual(a rare activity) and lo and behold, a section titled "about progressive scan". I'm pretty thrilled with the way it looks, which is almost on par with high end Xbox games. Definately the cleanest PS2 game I've seen and a real piece of programming wizardry. I finished the first section tonight and I like the way the story is being presented so far.