Pride (UFC) Fighting tonight! Great card.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JakeR, Feb 24, 2002.

1. JakeR

JakeR Stunt Coordinator

There have been a couple of threads on the board in recent months regarding mixed martial arts, or what most people consider to be "ultimate fighting."

While still in its incubation period, UFC events were fairly bloody, with wild mismatches and a fairly loose set of rules. In recent years, the UFC promotion itself has adopted a strict set of guidelines, including weight classes and a mandate prohibiting kicks to the head of a downed man, elbows, knees while on the ground, etc. It's evolved into much more of a sport, and the payoff was being sanctioned by the Nevada athletic commission last year.

Over in Japan, it's more accepted, with coverage in their mainstream papers and television. For those with DirecTV, tonight is the first same-day broadcast of the Pride event. Pride is an anomaly: kind of a pro wrestling atmosphere, but with 100% genuine fights. They also aren't bound by athletic watchdogs, meaning that early UFC traits like soccer kicks are allowed.

These shows are great entertainment, and I would recommend anyone who's a fan of the combat arts gives it a try. Don Frye vs. Ken Shamrock headlines the card, and Pride is hoping that some of the recognition those two got in the UFC will result in a higher profile event.

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

JakeR,

I love PRIDE fighting, and I have my DirecTV unit set to switch over as soon as it starts, can't wait.