Pride & Prejudice...shipping...any reviews? 16x9???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaViD Boulet, Sep 18, 2001.

1. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Just got an email from deepdvddiscount that my P&P SE has been shipped!!!
    I'm NUTS to know if this new reportedly WS version is indeed 16x9 and on par with the R2 version in overall image quality.
    Well...if it's shipping to a consumer like me...has anyone out there gotten one early or read any reviews up on the web? Where are the reviews??!!
    Any info would be appreciated as it will be DAYS before I get the disc from deepdvddiscount...
    -thanks,
    dave [​IMG]

2. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I got the same shipping notice today.
    My last (and only other order so far) from DDD shipped on a Wednesday and arrived the next Monday. So I'm hopeful P&P will be here by the 9/25 street date, although it doesn't matter that much to me, especially considering their great price on this DVD.
    I'll pop it into the player as soon as it arrives to see how the video looks. It won't take much to improve on the original R1 version.

3. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

Please let us know. I hate the way my current P&P DVD looks!
    Looking forward for an anamorphic transfer.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection Home Theater Pics
    Ozzie

4. Lisel

Lisel Stunt Coordinator

Mine hasn't shipped from DDD. [​IMG] Although I have both earlier R1 and R2 versions, I won't be able to make a comparison as most of my DVDs are awaiting shipment to my new place.
    Lisel

5. Ellen

Ellen Stunt Coordinator

Ellen
    I'm probably crazy for even thinking about picking up yet another copy of P&P given that I already have the VHS tapes, LD and old region 1 DVD. But it won't take much to convince me that I must have this new version too. The making of feature and an anamorphic print would be enough to push me over the edge [​IMG]
    Is DDD really selling the new version for only $20? The picture they show is the old version cover. Have any of you received this yet? Comments?

6. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Still waiting. I was hoping it would be in the mail Saturday since it shipped Tuesday and my last shipment from DDD only took 3 business days. You never know with DDD's media mail. Hopefully Monday.
    You can see a picture of the new cover art either at:
    A&E website - Pride & Prejudice SE
    or
    The Digital Bits - Upcoming DVD Cover Art (9/25/01)
    And yes, DDD is really selling it that cheap. They usually have very good prices on A&E DVDs (52% off MSRP).

7. Tom Koegel

Tom Koegel Stunt Coordinator

I have it in my hands, and it claims to be anamorphic. Of course, it claims to be 2.35:1 also! The aspect ratio is definitely 16:9/1.77:1. For a demonstration of the benefits of the proper aspect ratio, check out Chapter 12 (at about the 2hr, 24 minute mark) where Darcy arrives at the Collins household to find only Elizabeth home. There is a two-shot where Elizabeth sits at one end of the frame and Darcy at the other. On the 4:3 versions, the back half of each of their bodies was sliced off. In the 1.77:1 version, their whole bodies are visible, and the shot pleasingly demonstrates the distance between the two characters at that point--without slicing them in half.
    Unfortunately, I am at the office and hence can't confirm that it actually is anamorphic--because my software DVD player doesn't indicate whether a release is 16:9 or not. I'm guessing that it is anamorphic. The "When Dinosaurs Roamed America" disk from Discovery Channel had the same "2.35:1 anamorphic" mistake (it was anamorphic, but it was in the 1.77:1 ratio).
    From a very brief review of some critical chapters (albeit on a 19 inch computer monitor), the transfer does look improved from the prior transfer used for the VHS, laser, and first DVD release--but it's not likely to be demonstration material for anybody.
    Tom Koegel
    [Edited last by Tom Koegel on September 25, 2001 at 04:37 PM]

8. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, double post. The second one below is more correct.
    Tony Aguila
    [Edited last by Tony Aguila on September 25, 2001 at 05:29 PM]

9. Tony Aguila

Got mine today and it is anamorphic. The bad news is that the transfer is really poor. Edge enhancement is not excessive but detail is very bad, almost VHS-like. I'm watching this on a Cinema 13 (= Sanyo PLV-60), 92" screen... from both a progressive scan player (Sony NS700P) and a Pioneer Elite DV-F07 using the projector's scaler.
    But since I love this film so much, I'll take what I can get. Some of the scenes are darker, compared to the full screen version. I must confess that some of the scenes look worse to me than the previous version. Unfortunately I can't make A-B comparisons now since I sold my old copy in anticipation of this one.
    Ironically, the making-of featurette (not anamorphic) looks better than the main feature. Sigh.
    Tony Aguila

10. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Well, that's disappointing. I still didn't get mine yet.
    I wonder why these bozos can't seem to get this transfer right? You can almost excuse the original R1 release. It was an early DVD and they didn't have much experience. But there is no excuse now.
    Oh well, we also sold the original, for a lot more than this new one cost, so I can't complain too much. At least it will be nice to have a widescreen version.
    Thanks for the reports.

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Also interesting, the film clips in the featurette look to be 1.66:1 (non anamorphic)...wonder if the 16x9 1.78:1 feature has been cropped?
    Anyway...the image isn't stellar, but it does look superior to the original P/S version IMO.
    Would someone out there with the R2 do a comparison and let us know what gives?
    I'm wondering if they simply digitally converted from the 16x9 PAL master or created a new 480x720 24 fps digital master from scratch (from the film elements).
    anyone out there have the time to do a full-fledged review comparing this agains the old R1 and the existing R2 version???
    thanks,
    dave [​IMG]

12. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

David-
    I watched the original DVD set probably 50 times,
    and I just popped in the new set to look at the
    picture quality and widescreen image.
    The image is "masked," on the top and the bottom,
    as I remember lots more information on the top and
    bottom of the frame. BOY DOES IT LOOK BETTER
    WITH THE TOP AND BOTTOM PROPERLY MASKED!
    The composition of the people and the landscapes
    are much improved without all the "air" above their
    heads. Scenes look much more intimate than they
    did in the Open Matte version.
    As for quality of the actual presentation,
    I will leave that to those of you with higher end
    equipment than me. [​IMG]
    -Mark

13. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Mark,
    Are you sure that it's not a combination of a bit of masking on the top/bottom with a bit of additional information on the L/R?
    Just from memory (like most other people on this forum, I too sold my prevous R1 copy) there appears to be a more comfortable L/R framing.
    If the film elements were really hard-matte at 1.66:1, as this anamorphic transfer isn't windowboxed, they may have just slightly cropped (vertically) the image to 1.78:1 while preserving full width.
    -dave

14. Tony Aguila

I agree with you, David. There's just a slight top and bottom cropping and the whole width is opened up. I remember feeling claustrophobic watching the landscape scenes on the full frame version. The widescreen transfer really opens up the vista!
    After watching the whole thing last night (just couldn't resist) I noticed a couple more "improvements"... They've removed the episode breaks (end credits and ensuing intro), except, of course, at the resumption on disc 2. Disc 1 now ends at a more appropriate scene Spoiler:when Eliza rejects Darcy's proposal of marriage.
    The full screen version also seemed to have a yellowish cast throughout and I think they tried to correct this. However, it gave some scenes a greenish cast, which looks worse to me. After a while, though, I got used to the fuzziness of the picture, and in some places it actually looked good.
    The audio MAY have been redone, because I could swear that I couldn't make out the dialogue in some passages on the previous version (enough so I had to look it up in the book), but here, dialog sounds clearer. BUT, I also upgraded my speakers (Paradigm Studios) since my last viewing of P&P, so I cannot really be sure.
    I just feel that they could have done a much better job on the whole. "I'm really put out! Can this be endured?!"
    Yours, &c.

15. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

DaViD-
    Sorry, my misscommmunication. I thought you might
    be referring to the difference between open-matte
    and pan-and-scan. (I tend to think of "cropping,"
    as lossing the sides of pan-and-scan, and "masking,"
    as when we cover up the top and bottom of open-matte
    shot films.
    I've seen you name so often, I should've known
    you knew what you were talking about. [​IMG]
    I really have to look at it tonight.
    I just remember the credit sequence looking
    MUCH better as far as the credit and the items
    flowing by.
    -Mark

16. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

Besides the proper framing in question is the image quality better than the previous DVD? I thought the previous version was terrible.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection Home Theater Pics
    Ozzie

17. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Both audio and video seem improved. The yellow cast is definitely toned down a bit, but the color still has a very stylized appearance. I think that the soft focus of the image is part of this "look" and maybe that's just the way the film elements really look. It was a made for (British) TV production so maybe it just wasn't filmed with the ultimate of resolution in mind or maybe the soft-focus was purposeful for atmosphere or artisic reasons. Anybody ever seen this production look any sharper anywhere else? At least we can thank the BBC for filming in widescreen (16x9 TV is much more common in the U.K.).
    The audio sounds better to my ear too. I noticed this immediately.
    Ok...someone out there with the R2 version...let's here a comparison!!!
    -dave