What's new

Pricing (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Paramount titles aren't even combo, and they're higher - what gives?

Combo now affords experimenting at rental level, but double sided discs are a pain. How's the scratch factor on rentals affecting playback of HD DVD?

Getting REDS on SD instead.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't understand your question? Most of the Paramount catalog titles on HD DVD that I've bought had a $29.99 MSRP and after discount my purchase price was usually $19.99 plus the 10% Amazon discount. The only exception to that pricing in regard to catalog titles was "Reds" which was higher on both BR and HD DVD for some strange reason.

Now, if you really want to complain about catalog title pricing then take a look at Fox and Disney BR titles that have a $39.99 MSRP.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
All the recent announcements...World Trade Center, MI-III.
I just realised that they're all 2 disc bonus feature titles - whoopee, charge more for SEs, deja vu DVD a few years back.

I'd rather have a combo!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
They are still doing it today with the 2 disc SE's. Given Target is pretty aggressive, I think HD enthusiasts are getting off easy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Those are not catalog titles, they're films that have been released theatrically within the past year which means the studios will price them higher in an attempt to recoup some of those production costs that are still on their books. Also, I believe MI and MII which are catalog titles were bundled up as a boxset with the recently released MIII in a purely marketing strategy. This isn't just Paramount, it's every studio! There have only been a couple of those recently releases films that had a MSRP below 39.99, so this is a industry wide pricing issue not just Paramount. We have discussed this issue more than a few times already and even though, as a consumer I don't like it, as a business manager, I can understand their reasoning in doing so. Furthermore, the studios won't change it and will continue to price such titles that are still on their books until there is greater marketing penetration with these new formats.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks