What's new

Price tags leaving sticky goo behind.... (1 Viewer)

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I hate it when I get a DVD and the cool embossed slipcase is not covered in shrinkwraping, and the store places their price tag on the front. When I peel the sticker off, it often leaves the goo behind.

Why do they not shrinkwrap them? This happened to my Batman Begins DVD. I can't get the goo off the cool lenticular cover.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I guarantee that I hate this practice more than anybody else hates anything packaging-wise about DVDs! :angry:
(I'm just WAITING for someone to release a multi-disc set of all single-sided discs in one of those overlapping case thingys with a slipcover on the outside of the shrinkwrap!)

BTW why don't you all show some love for my Studio Feedback thread that so far has gotten ZERO replies?

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=218937

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I was gonna post a thread about this in the retail feedback forum, but has anyone else noticed this problem EVERY SINGLE TIME they place an order with Digital Eyes?

It seems to be something with their warehouse storage, maybe related to humidity or something... but I cannot remove a protective security sticker from a keepcase without toally destroying the case.

I order from Digital Eyes regularly, at least on a monthly basis and usually quite large orders at that, they are the greatest and best priced online DVD retailer around imo and have excellent customer service, but I'm tired of having to waste money on new keepcases every single time I place an order. I'm always left running out to Future Shop. I might even stop ordering from them for a while because it's so frustrating...

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
You can also use a little oil, "3 in 1" works every time for me and cleans up in a snap...but I have not used it on cardboard...might not be a good idea.:)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Goo-gone makes me nervous, because it as a solvent it can itself damage some cases and coatings. You might try this: Remove the DVD(s), then pop the case in the freezer for a couple of hours. A lot of adhesives lose their stickiness at low temperatures and are very easy to remove. I do this all the time with plastic kitchenware and the labels come right off, usually in one piece.

This is less likely to damage a case than heat and/or moisture, and you don't have to be nearly as careful or sure-handed as with other methods. :)

Regards,

Joe "Ten Thumbs" DeMartino

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
I wouldnt use it on cardboard but WD40 works with stickers on the cases. I use it alot when buying previously viewed discs that have a sticker that won't come off. Just leave it on for a few minutes.

JoePassmore

Stunt Coordinator
There wasn't any shrink wrap on it? That's weird. Now, those stupid stickers that run around the edges of the keep case? I LOATHE them.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Not a "sticky price" issue, but I just received THE FLY and THE FLY II special editions from Amazon. The amaray cases are shrinkwrapped but the outer cardboard slip cases are not. Both slipcases are creased and ripped. I might as well just dump them because they really do look hideous.

Are these slipcases intended to simply be tossed in the trash?

John

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Yeah John, those are the types of cases that I'm talking about. Some of them are pretty cool like having embossed areas or foil printing on them, so I'd like to be able to keep them. But for some weird reason, they aren't shrinkwrapped. Most of the skickers applied by the distributor come off easy. Its the hideous price tags individual stores apply that ruin the cases.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Plus they tend to get banged up after being on the shelves for a while. There's a reason why I don't buy used discs, but that almost doesn't matter when they come packaged like this!

Whose bright idea was this anyways? It's got to stop NOW!!

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
The "Saw: Uncut" DVD is absolutely horrible in terms of leaving sticky residue behind. I've been scraping the stuff off for 2 days, and there's still some left.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
You really just need to go to your local drug store and buy some Goo Gone, Brett.

If you basically follow the directions, your concerns are a little misplaced, Joseph. The adjustment I'd make for Snappers/carboard is to apply the GG to a paper towel and dab the detritus, as opposed to simply pouring the solution on the residue or sticker like I usually do. As long as you do not leave the GG on for too long, you are fine.

And the amount of time it takes to accomplish the task is far less than the hours you're leaving DVD cases in with the ice cream. ;)

-p

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
The studios also need to stop heating the shrink wrap on the spine of the case, causing it to melt to the plastic. Warners, Fox, and MGM seem to be the biggest culprits in this practice.

John*D

Second Unit

I thought I was going crazy with some of my DVDs having that problem. Guess I'm not the only one...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks