What's new

Price Reduction and All, Should I get the DC (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
C'mon, for $75, you're getting a console with alot of games to back it up... sure, there may not be much in the future, but there are still games to look foreward to, and games that are already out to play...
Games coming out soon to look foreard to (off the top of my head):
-NFL2k2
-NHL2k2
-Headhunter
-Sega Tennis 2k2
-NCAA College Football 2k2
-Shenmue 2
Games already out:
Link Removed
for $75, this'll last you until the gamecube for sure, and i bet even after you get the gamecube, you'll still wanna come back and play it again...
Also, for $75 you get a 'portable' internet/email station, MP3 player, MPEG-1 video player,
and play all your old favourites from the SNES, Genesis, Gameboy, NES etc.
------------------

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, if your going to play the "cross off the ports" game, then play it right. These appeared on these systems first...
Rayman: Sega Genesis/SNES simultaneously
Resident Evil: 3D0

Wrong on both counts. Rayman 1 was a Jaguar and Playstation game (I think Jaguar first actually, or was supposed to be). And REsident Evil on 3D0? That's too funny. RE was the game that practically built the PSX and was an exclusive for quite some time. It wasn't even released for 3D0.
-----
The main problem with Dreamcast's 3rd party support was that most of them used the DC as a stopgap between PSX/N64 and the PS2/GC/XBox. They'd release one or two games and move one. But I don't see why this is even an issue now. The system is dead, but it's cheap and has lots of great games. Yes, most are from Sega..... so what? That's one of the main reasons the DC is even worth buying, great Sega games.
The hobbiest scene on the DC right now is also pretty fun. Emulators, VCD players, MP3 players. It's pretty interesting.
------------------

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Then again, using emulators is illegal (not the emulators, the ROMs). It also doesn't always work good (some problems with sound for some). There are a lot of good DC games, but most of them are sports (which I don't like) and a lot of the rest can be bought for another console. I would rather spend a few extra bucks on a game for another console than spend $75 plus the game.

Larry C

Stunt Coordinator
------------------------------------------------------------
Make a list of all the DC games that are good. Now cross off the ports. Now cross off the games that are made by Sega or Capcom. Now you are left with a small list of good, exclusive titles.
------------------------------------------------------------
If I make a list of all the DC games that are good, why should I cross anything off? The issue is whether the system and the games are great! I bought the system yesterday with an extra controller a VMU 2 jump packs, Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi and Virtual Tennis and it came out to about $175.
Seriously I don't care if the titles are exclusive or if there from 1st, 2nd or 3rd party developers. What I care about is that the system is a kick ass gaming experience. From what I've read on the Dreamcast and its games and from the little time I have played with it, it is just that.......
KICK ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have canceled my Gamecube pre-order not because I will not purchase one, because I will. But not for sometime to come.
[Edited last by Larry C on August 27, 2001 at 12:50 AM]
[Edited last by Larry C on August 27, 2001 at 12:51 AM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The point I was trying to make was that the DC had poor exclusive third party support. Instead of buying a game console, it was more of a Sega game console (in that only Sega games were exclusive).
If you bought a DC when it came out with 2 games, a VMU, a second controller, and 2 jump packs, it would cost around $400. Buy a GCN with 2 games, a memory card, and a second controller (they have auto-vibration functions) and it will cost around $350. I consider the GCN to be a better deal from its launch prices than the DC was. Yes, you can buy all the DC things a lot cheaper now, but that is because there was not enough exclusive third party support and "must have" exclusive games to make it a success. If I can skip buying a DC but get a port of all the good games it had on another console, I won't buy a DC (I already have one, got it at launch).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My point is not pointless. If I could have saved myself $200 by not buying a DC, that extra $200 could have been spent on buying the ports or other versions of games that were on the DC. The only games that didn't get ported were either first party games or were really bad (besides a small few good games, but they are part of series' that are continued on another console).

erik bush

Agent
so. getting back on topic. i just picked up a dreamcast (birthday present from my wife). for roughly 350 bucks, i got:
dreamcast w/ 1 controller + nfl 2k1 nba 2k1 baseball 2k1
extra controller
3 vmu's
2 rumble packs
arcade stick
svideo cable
a handful of games (tony hawk 2, ncaa 2k2, mat hoffman bmx, dave mirra bmx, qbert (wifes), nhl 2k, street fighter 3 alpha, crazy taxi, ecw anarchy rulz, plus a couple more i can't remember)
which ain't bad. considering i would have 1 ps2 + 1 game or 1 controller for about the same.
~erik
------------------
my dvd list
"what, were they psychos?" "did they look like psychos? is that what they looked like? they were vampires. psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, i don't give a *#@% how crazy they are."

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
You can get a haul of great games on the Dreamcast for a song. It is definitely one of the best investments out there if you shop around. It is also comparable to the PS2, as the larger video memory allows double-buffering progressive frames and more textures!
I sold my PS2 (for cost, not a profit) last winter, but my Dreamcast ain't going anywhere!
16:9 480p Rayman 2 and 16:9 480p Soul Caliber are experiences that have not yet been matched on a console. Until this winter...
That said, all of the consoles, including the PS2, have their merits. But the Dreamcast is the deal of the century right now.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I personally believe that the DC has been THE machine to own since it came out, and I still feel that it is THE machine to own.....Viva Dreamcast!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't like sports or driving games at all, so I didn't like the DC much. It did have a LOT of great games, and I have a nice library of games, all of which I love.
I suggest getting one now since they are so cheap. If the price goes down within a month, just go back and demand cash back.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I don't like sports or driving games at all, so I didn't like the DC much. It did have a LOT of great games, and I have a nice library of games, all of which I love.
It had a LOT of great games, and you have a library of games that you love, but you didn't like the DC much.
rolleyes.gif

erik bush

Agent
EB is where i bought most of the games. i picked up marvel vs capcom and tokyo extreme racer off of ebay (along with a carrying case, i can't find one of those ANYWHERE). the rumble pack things i found at compusa for 2 bucks each (they are green tho, but hey, for 2 bucks..). now as long as they don't can nhl 2k2 i'll be happy.
anyone want to suggest some games to pick up? i'll post an entire list of everything i have when i get home tonight.
~erik
------------------
my dvd list
"what, were they psychos?" "did they look like psychos? is that what they looked like? they were vampires. psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, i don't give a *#@% how crazy they are."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.