Price of Rockets RS550

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dom P, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Dom P

Dom P Stunt Coordinator

I see that they are on sale now for $699. What was the old price?

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

3. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

its amazing how far they have come.

i remember meeting mike at soundtrack when he was in shopping around with his wife. they were looking at the competition. he told me of his plan for this new company that would make really great looking and sounding budget speakers for the masses, and sell them only online. went to their website and checked it out (still wasnt much on it). i honestly didnt think it would take off, but i sure was wrong.

4. Dom P

Dom P Stunt Coordinator

That's a nice price drop. I was seriously considering them, but now I see they don't have free shipping. $170 is alot for shipping.

5. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Who's Mike....I think you meant Mark, as in Mark Schifter? [​IMG]

Dom, I don't think they ever offered free shipping to my knowledge. If they ever did, it might have been quite long ago. How did you come to the $170 figure?

I ordered a 5.0 package (2x550, 2x250, and 1x200), and shipping was under $200 to Texas. The 550s are like 60 lbs each (maybe closer to 70 lbs shipping weight). The 250s are about 50 lbs/pair (55 lbs shipping weihgt). And the 200 is 46 lbs (maybe 53 lbs shipping weight).

That's about 250 lbs of speakers shipped to Texas (from CO) for under $200. Not sure if you're expecting them to charge less than what it costs them to ship the speakers via UPS or Yellow? It may appear that some companies charge less money for shipping, but in actuality, the cost is already built in to the product pricing itself. I don't think it makes any sense for any business to charge it's customers less than what the cost of doing business is to them. They wouldn't be in business very long.

You can check with UPS to see how much they'll charge for shipping this much weight (and bulk) to do a comparison.

6. Dom P

Dom P Stunt Coordinator

I'm not saying they ever offered free shipping. I just though they did. I got the $170 from my checkout. Everything over 100lbs goes out via Yellow and my order is 140lbs. They even have a chart with estimated shipping for each speaker.

I don't think it's unfair for them to charge that much. It's just that $700 is about my money ceiling for the fronts. That's why my other choice was the outlet M60s for $720 shipped.

----------------------------------------------------------

RS550 - South American Rosewood $699.00 1 $699.00

Comments & Special Shipping Instructions

How did you hear about us?

Subtotal: $699.00
    Shipping & Handling (via Ground): $170.00
    Total: $869.0

7. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Yes but with Rocket you get real wood not vinyl. Axiom is a good speaker so dont take this as a flame as it is not meant to be. In my situation with alot of wood already in the room the vinyl just didnt look right and especially the wife said no! May cost that shipping but its worth it.

8. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Dom, have you tred calling in? Not sure where your location is, but that chart may just be the averaging of all 48/9 contiguous states. So the closer you are to CO, the cheaper it's going to be. I know that I was personally surprised when placing my actual order (over the phone) that the shipping for all 5 items was like $70 less than what the chart estimate was going to be. I got mine shipped via UPS, BTW, which is definitely cheaper than Yellow. However, UPS quality of delivery (in general) is not any where as good. My speakers did arrive in good shape with UPS, but it's their general shipping practice I have issues with. Also, with Yellow, you can request scheduled deliveries.

BTW, have you demoed either of these speakers?

9. Dom P

Dom P Stunt Coordinator

Maybe I'll shoot them an email to see how much it would be to ship.

The vinyl vs real wood is still in my mind. I'd much rather have wood, no question about it. So once the sale went and the price dropped closer to M60s, I got very interested.

Nhan_H, how do you like your 550s? I'm going to power them with a H/K 525 and mostly use them for movies. Not enough money for the surrounds and center right now, but in the future definitely. How will they do by themselves with movies? Do they have enough low end?

10. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

Hi Dom,

While I'm not Nahn I also have the 550's however mine are being used as rears right now. I'm using an HK7200 to power them and they sound great with the HK. I have had my 550's in the front as well and I was very surprised with the low-end of these speakers. They are rated to 42hz so in room you should get pretty good output into the upper 30's. The VIFA XT-25 tweeter that is used in the 550's throws a huge soundstage...I often get up to check to make sure that my center channel isn't on so I don't think you will have an issue using just the 550's up front until you have the means to get a center channel.

Keep in mind that no matter what speakers you get you are paying shipping...Axiom is definitely charging it...it's just built into the price. Yes, the Rockets are a MORE expensive speaker than the Axiom you are looking at but IMO you are getting a superior cabinet and finish. Good luck with your decision! [​IMG]

11. Dom P

Dom P Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Bob. Hey you live right by me; I'm in Hanover Park.

You guys seem very happy with your Rockets, so I'll take your word for it. Hopefully they don't sell out before I get them.

12. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Go to Bob's and check out his systems.

13. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

Yeah Dom,

If you would like to audtion any of the Rocket products that I have at the house let me know...[​IMG]

14. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Cool, Dom. Bob's a good guy. Just be careful not be too fixated at all the toys he has in his house [​IMG]

Bob's pretty much nailed the 550s on the head. I gave my beloved PSB 6t towers up for these babies, and I don't regret for a second that I did [​IMG] And yes, the rosewood veneer is fantastic!!!

I had a shootout with the 550s and some HTD Level 4 speakers here last weekend with a couple of friends. I haven't had time to post the results, since I've been so busy with lugging speakers around town as well as with work lately. Kudos to the HTD guys for letting me borrow their speakers and being so nice and helpful!

During the demo, much of the time we had to turn off the center, sub, and surrounds to do a fair and consistent comparison. The 550s definitely provide a very wide and nice soundstage (as did the Level 4s). For example, when listening to some multichannel SACDs that do not make much use of the center channel, I'm always fooled into thinking that there's music coming out of the center. That is, until I walk up to the center speaker to find that very little or no output exists [​IMG] That's how I found out that the center channel was of limited use for some of these MC SACDs.

They definitely went pretty low without the sub, and the smoothness and refinement of these puppies are what I definitely love about them.

Oh yes, I wish I had an HK driving these babies. I'm currently using a Yamaha RXV2200 for that. I just love the sound that my old HK produced more than the Yammies, although they are very nice receivers, themselves.

I also hope they don't sell out of those speakers any time soon, as I'm looking to order package 3 for a friend. I ordered a pair of HTD Level 3s for his brother last week. And yes, these were some of the speakers I was lugging around town :O

Hope you have fun over at Bob's [​IMG]