What's new

Price of New TV on DVD (1 Viewer)

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Well this is a switch. Did you guys notice the price of Season 1 of Get Smart? Costco is selling it for $20. If that trend continues for all 5 seasons, you're looking at $100 for the complete series. How much did we pay from Time Life? Over $250!!! Why did this happen? Shouldn't the complete series cost less than the individual pieces?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
But you're speaking of Time-Life... the King of price gouging! Plus we got the "special packaging" of the cardboard "phone booth" box and the extra disk per season of bonus "features" that will be typically watched once at most. Isn't that worth an extra $50-$100?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

That was second, in Sept. 2004 for Season 2, Volume 1.

Sex And the City - The Complete 6th Season, Part 1 was first in May 2004.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

I'll tell you Joe it's a catch 22. On One hand I want to support the releases to insure more seasons are forthcoming, especially classic tv, but on the other hand the prices these get dropped to at a later date make it very attractive to wait. Most of the sets I have in my collection if I had waited I could've picked up for as much as 50 to 60 percent off, thats nothing to sneeze at. I waited for the Jeannie Releases and just paid about $17 for S3 and 4. So I am going to wait on alot of TV stuff from now on.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

The Thing I look at is every year TV gets suckier and suckier, sure there's stuff I DVR and watch but I have alot of Nights now where I'm watching alot of Classic TV thanks to my collection, thats why my Movie purchases have practically dropped to nill, but my TV purchases continue.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Dave,

I imagine that there's a lot here that would agree with you. Just IMO, but I basically stopped watching network shows after about '96 or so. I know that there's some quality shows out there but IMO, not as many as the earlier days of TV shows. I did enjoy "Firefly" that I borrowed from my nephew but that's the only one that I've seen in a long time. The big advantage for current series viewers is that most of the shows are soon available on DVD after their initial runs.

As for TV/DVD pricing, I'm with you and Joe on this one. Ironic that you mentioned "...Jeannie", since that's one (S5) that I would have already bought in my earlier days buying TV/DVD sets but I'm waiting for a sale on it. The price drops (by waiting) are just too deep to ignore for me.

IMO, if we had more information on what shows were discontinued, or on hold, or waiting for their slot in the Mfg line, etc, it would make a difference in my purchases. But the not-knowing about a show's status (ie "Big Valley", etc) makes it more difficult for me to buy at release to try and do my part to insure continued releases.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Waiting for the Nov DD sale or better sale:

I DREAM OF JEANNIE S5
PERRY MASON S3 V1UNTOUCHABLES S2 V2LOVE BOAT S1 V2HONEY WEST COMPL SERIES
ADAM-12 S2

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Right now DD is running an incredible "Buy One, Get One Free" sale with IMAGE dvds. If you are a fan of shows like Combat, I Spy, Twilight Zone, or The Dick Van Dyke Show you can get them very cheap.

Gary "not sure how or if I can link that page, so folks will just have to go to DD and click from there to the appropriate page" O.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Boy, Gary...your post sent me scurrying to DeepDiscount's site...and I can't find that sale anywhere. There is no banner for it on their main page and I can't find it in a search anywhere else. :frowning:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I thought so too. Definitely a must buy for anyone that passed up on them previously, IMHO.

Gary "the DVDS sets are the best of the deal, but the COMBAT and TZ dvds aren't bad either if one doesn't already own them" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary, that's "Sherlok Holmes" work on that Image sale
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Strange that they aren't offering the complete Combat! series set, only most of the individual season sets. I saw that they have the complete TZ Definiteve set & the Dick Van Dyke Complete series sets. imo, those 3 are the headliner releases from Image.

Anyone that may be considering the Combat! sets, the complete series set that's available at DD, Amazon, etc, is the same as the individual sets (no new Extras, etc, vs the individual releases). You get a savings vs the single-season vol sets as expected with most series sets.

Allen_Kir

Stunt Coordinator
What i hate most is that when you buy them "expensive" when they first come out and they release all the seasons. They re-release it as a COMPLETE SERIES package with new features and a cheaper price then you paid at first. This sucks cause it's the loyal fans that supported them in the first place and now they get ripped off.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Allen,

Your 100% right and there's a lot of agreement on this Bd and elsewhere about your point. If I recall, Gord at TSoD recently posted an editorial about this very issue. It does seem to me that those who faithfully buy at release wind up regretting it later. I guess it all comees down to the show and where it rates on the individual's list. For me, I've been fairly fortunate with the "dice-rolling" with the buy vs wait scenarios.

For Combat!, that one's my #1 show (or it's a tie with the Fugitive) so when the individual season releases became available, I ordered all on release dates. For that show, as mentioned in my earlier post, I got lucky since I didn't miss out on any Extras specific to the complete series release, except for possible shelf-space savings with the complete series digipak vs the original single-season army/pack sets.

For TZ Definitive Version, I didn't buy the single-season sets and waited for the complete series set but I didn't know at the time that Image would release the complete series set, just got lucky waiting for it.

For Dick Van Dyke, I was a late buyer into that series and had only bought the 1st season set then the complete set became available. I gave the 1st season set to a friend.

For the Wild Wild West Complete set, I didn't wait for that complete series release but I probably wouldn't have bought the complete set just for the 2 TV-movies. Closer call on that decision but I'd waited so long for WWW that I bought the single-season releases as available.

That said, I do agree with you and most, if not all, here, as well as Gord's editorial. Seems to me that there should be some "good will" emulating from at least, the major studios for the single-season buyers out there. I'm not sure what, but "where there's a will, there's a way".

Allen_Kir

Stunt Coordinator
I think offering the "Bonus" disc for $10 or something would be a good idea or even selling the "NEW" packaging with the bonus disc on the company's website would make me happy. I would still be spending more but it is better than re-buying the same DVDs

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Same here at least on the ginormous collection that sits mostly unwatched!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I'm mostly the same way on price, with some exceptions such as Blu-ray sets for ``Lost'' and ``Heroes''...

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe

I hear ya, with the amount of TV on DVD that I own, I could easily open my own television network - wouldn't that be cool?

As for Blue-Ray, the same thing will happen to them - prices are high at the start and will plumett later on. I love what Future Shop is doing here in Canada - on the release date of August 26th (tomorrow!), they will be selling Heroes Season 2 for $27!!! This is such a great gesture; not sure if the studio is granting the discount or Future Shop will take a hit on the show for the first day. After that, the show goes back to its regular price of $1 million dollars (insert Dr. Evil's signature voice and laugh). :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks