Price Limit :-( Any ideas?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Nick.S, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Nick.S

Nick.S Stunt Coordinator

I have been reading these forums for the last few weeks. I was going to purchase my receiver at Best Buy because of a discount. I do not want to spend more then 500. I know most people around here have nicer systems, but this is how much I want to spend. Anyone have ideas on receivers for this price? I can pick up a Yamaha 5590 for around 430 at BB. (with discount)Was wondering if I could get a better one for close to this price.

Thanks
    Nick.S

2. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Wrong forum. You should have the mod move this to the hardware forum. You'll get a better response there.

eeeeck, old habits die hard. Now called:
    receivers/separates/amps....

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Take a look at HK (Harmon Kardon) or Denon receivers in this price range and compare with the Yamaha. If possible listen to the receivers with your model of speakers...

4. Nick.S

Nick.S Stunt Coordinator

I took a look at the HK's and they are out of my price range. The denon's fit into my price range nicely. So now the question is, should I get the yamaha htr-5590 or the Denon 1804 - 2803???

The Yamaha is rated 100w rms VS Denon 90w rms. Also the Yamaha is rated .04 thd VS .05 or .08. (Not sure what this means)

*Comparing the 2 denon receivers*
    Features that I don’t know what they mean.
    (all comparisons are 2803 VS 1804)

THD .05 VS .08 ???
    dts 96/24 5.1 for dvd-video processing ?? (not on the 1804)
    analog to digital conversion bit/sample rate 24/96 VS 24/48
    Component video inputs x bandwidth 2x100 VS 2x30
    widescreen 7.1 mode (not on the 1804)

Fearutres that I know about.
    7.1 VS 6.1
    2803 has pre-amp outputs (prob wont use them)
    1804 has composite to svideo conversion. (need this for vcr)

Unless someone can tell me about the features that I don’t know about, or point me to a place that I can read about them, I am thinking that the only big diff is 7.1 vs 6.1 Plus around 230.00 I will be using this with my widescreen HDTV.

Thanks
    Nick.S

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Well the dts 96/24 is an audio format. It is not very common, so I doubt it would help you out much in the immediate future. The greater bit sample rate will make a difference, but it may or may not be noticable to you. The component video inputs could be important. If you plan to run component into your receiver with HD quality video you will likely need the 100 instead of 30.

6. Nick.S

Nick.S Stunt Coordinator

I use component inputs now, with my xbox and my dvd player. So I will be using them. I am just not sure what the 100 or 30 meant? Anyone els care to comment on the other features?

Thanks
    Nick.S

7. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

YGM Nick.

8. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

9. Nick.S

Nick.S Stunt Coordinator

The Harman Kardon's just seem a little to pricey for me. It seems like they are meant for a bigger system with a seperate amp. That one is in my price range, but its an older model and refubished. I am not saying I would not think about something refurbished, just want something with a little more power. I really like that denon 2803 or the 1804.

Anyone care to respond to my post with the feature questions?

Thanks
    Nick.S

10. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Oh dear. Here we go again. Doubling power results in a 3dB increase in SPL. In reality, while the wattage may look to be a huge difference, sonically, it's quite small. Yamaha's trueness to their power ratings is also a relatively curious topic, but I'll not delve into that in this thread...there are a TON of posts about this already.

More importantly for you, the H/K and the Yamaha have totally different sonic signatures. As with any audio component, you should audition it first.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...0325-Z&status=

Same price as your HTR5590. Refurbished? Yes. But factory direct from Harman Kardon, which means full warranty, as new. Older model? Yes. But does this mean alot? No, not unless you want the newer silver models.

The H/K is 7.1 not 6.1, which in my mind is much more useful. It's also heavier, which is a sign of a better amp. More importantly, the 5590 DOES NOT HAVE PREOUTS. This should be of paramount importance since it won't let you use it as a preamp with external amps down the line.

Denon I won't comment on because I have no experience with them hands on, but I will say, that in a heartbeat, I'd go with the H/K. YMMV.

11. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

I would go with 5590 which is equivalent of last years RX-V1300. Nice power, plenty of features. I like the sound of Yamaha over Denon, Denons didnt sound as clean as Yamaha. I bought Yamaha RX-V2300 over Denon 3803.

12. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Close, but no cigar. Just by looking at the back, you see that the 1300 has preouts for all channels, while the 5590 does not. Huge difference.

13. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Nick - Did you get my email about the Sony STR-DA4ES?

I think that would definitely outclass a few of these recommendations here.

14. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

How about a NAD 742 for $449? I know this one is only 50wrmsx5 but it's a great price.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/t742.htm

I just bought a nad c370 from them last week and I am truly impressed with the unit. Costumer service was good also.