Price increase for TiVo Lifetime service

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryP, Apr 3, 2001.

1. GaryP

GaryP Second Unit

Guys,
    I just got an e-mail from TiVo customer service. On May 1st they are going to bump the lifetime fee up to $250. So, if you are going month-to-month (like me) you may want to consider getting in on the original price while there are a few weeks left.
    Gary

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Yeah, I got that notice too. Now I'm wondering if I should sign up for the lifetime subscription...or wait to apply that to an HDTV-capable PDR. Decisions, decisions.
    - Steve

3. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Well, I'd go for it. The new Panasonic HDTV-capable PDR has been announced for Japan only. There are two things to consider:
    1. Will a HDTV-capable PDR be available in the states in less than 20 months? (Why 20 months? Because that's the break even point if you were to continue with monthly payments for your TiVo service.)
    2. Even when a HDTV-capable PDR is released, will you be satisfied with the features and price? I bring this up because the new Panasonic HDTV-capable PDR is currently $2200 US, and can only record a whopping 2.5 hours of HD content. So even if you buy it, you'll need to wait even longer or pay to upgrade in order to record that HDTV version of Titanic you've always wanted. [​IMG]
    Ok, I know I said just 2 points, but also, if you upgrade now at $199, your unit will be worth that much more if you decide to eBay it in the future. Since Lifetime Subscription is tied to the machine, and not you, you could get a nice bit of $$$ back.
    In other words, GO FOR IT! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

4. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Stunt Coordinator

The 20 month break even point won't matter if you plan to resell the TiVo. TiVo's w/ lifetime service usually sell for at least $150 more than a unit w/ no subscription. This will most likely be even higher one the subs go to $249. So, if you pay $200 now and sell in 12 months, you'll save money over paying $120 in monthly payments during those 12 months. Did that make sense? It's like renting vs. buying...equity is the key.
    ------------------