Price drops = re-releases in the future ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gabriel Martin, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Gabriel Martin

Gabriel Martin Auditioning

I was at a store today and noticed a few films that became very inexpensive:
    - The Usual Suspects
    - Jerry McGuire
    - Blade Runner
    - Batman
    - Batman Returns
    - Color Purple
    - True Lies
    - Raising Arizona
    - Hudsucker Proxy
    - The Big Lebowski
    - Fargo
    - Being John Malkovich
    - and others
    Ok. In this lists, I know there are 8 titles that are going to be reissued in 2002 or sooner. If there is a big price drop on a DVD, can I take it as a clue to an unannounced new edition of a DVD ?
    I don't recall reading about special editions of The Big Lebowski, Being John Malkovich or Fargo ? Could they be re-release in the future ? And what about Hudsucker Proxy ? They re-release Fargo already and there is this Coen kind of festival next year with Barton Fink (yeah), Miller's Crossing and Raising Arizona SE.
    ------------------
    G a B
    "Yes my real name is Gabriel Martin and no, I don't like The Patriot"
    My DVD Collection
    [Edited last by Gabriel Martin on October 07, 2001 at 01:16 AM]

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The following from your list I know for a fact have SEs coming:
    Blade Runner
    Color Purple
    True Lies
    Fargo
    I believe Usual Suspects and Jerry McGuire are getting SEs as well, but not sure

3. andrew markworthy

It's an ingenious theory, but I think it's more likely to be the case that although movies due to be released as a SE will drop in price, a lot of others drop in price for other reasons (in other words, in logical terms, if A then B, but if B then A is possible but not guaranteed).
    A couple of more prosaic explanations are that: (a) the manufacturers start by offering the full price knowing there's a body of hard-core fans of the movie who'll pay practically anything for it, then drop the price to attract the more casual buyer; and (b) the manufacturers goofed and over-produced (or the store over-stocked) and are knocking the price down to get rid of surplus stock.
    In the UK at least, I've learnt not to buy what I'd call 'middle ranking' movies when they first come out, but wait 3-6 months, because they'll almost certainly start to be offered at a cheaper unit price or as part of a 'buy 3 for the cost of 2' type deal.

4. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I'll give you a better reason for the price drops.
    Christmas is coming, the market is being flooded with hot new DVD releases, and the studios don't want the consumer to overlook these older titles that they presumably have lots of backstock on in the warehouses.
    Did you know that a DVD fits just right into an oversized Christmas stocking? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

6. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

7. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

Another title going for real cheap (as low as $8.99) is Reservoir Dogs. We know that a special edition re-release is imminent for this title.