What's new

Price drops on Sony DVP-NS500V and DVP-NC650V DVD/SACD players at Crutchfield. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Crutchfield has dropped the prices of the Sony DVP-NS500V and 'NC650V DVD/SACD players. The 'NS500V dropped from $300 to $230, while the 'NC650V dropped from $400 to $330. The new prices are more realistic to my mind, seeing that neither player offers progressive-scan video output.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks Keith.

I have been looking at the DVP-500 as a second player since my JVC 721BK is so glitchy with some of the DVD video material. I must admit that the JVC is yet to reject a single DVD-A disc I've thrown at it. The Sony will handle video and SACD, which will suit me fine. I'll wait a few weeks, and hopefully will be able to get it for just under $200.00. I know the Sony 500 isn't an upscale ES model, but I have heard some positive things from owners about it regarding SACD playback. I already have a CD changer I'm satisfied with for the time being, so the Sony 500 is the only player that will fit in my budget for now.

Reg

P.S. - I know I will need to purchase a Radio Shack switcher to accomodate both DVD-A/SACD.

The local Best buy has similar prices (after an "instant rebate"). I don't remember the exact prices but I think that the NS500 was $249 and the 650 was $329. The fine print on the price signs indicated that they were printed on Sunday, March 3.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, I feel the 'NS500V is a solid value, assuming one doesn't need progressive-scan video output. It is not an all-world audio component, but it handles SACDs well given the DVD capability and low price. If you grab one, I am confident that the Radio Shack switch boxes will serve you well.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Those are good prices. I just bought a 500v for $500 CDN (so that's $575 incl. tax)

Using today's 1.607 exhange rate, I got ripped off... $357US... that's $137 more!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Sony is getting ready to bring out their new line of DVD players in June. There will be a DVD player with SACD and progressive scan that will list for $300. So, if you are interested in SACD and progressive scan you might want to wait.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Marty, you are absolutely right. The DVP-NS755 will sell for $300 and do progressive scan.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Is the 755 a single tray or carousel like the 650? I assume single, but the Sony press release didn't mention any changers. Also the 755 plays mp3.

I don't think Crutchfield ever really has sales on Sony; given the Best buy price is the same I'm guessing thart's the new price since new models are coming.

I was wondering why they dropped the prices on the 5ES receiver too. Is it too soon for new receivers coming?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Good Guys at So Cal dropped the price on the DVPN 900V Progressive/SACD player from $999.00[MSRP] to $699.00,see how far Crutchfield will be.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil, the 'NS755V will be a single-disc player. I imagine the prices of the 'NS500V and 'NC650V have dropped since they are going to be discontinued soon. Note that I have not heard of a replacement for the 'NC650V, however.

I was not aware of the price drops on the new Sony ES receivers. Crutchfield has the 'DA3ES for $800 and the 'DA5ES for $1200. I wonder what Oade Bros. is selling them for. I doubt that Sony is going to replace these receivers already. They usually don't release new receivers until August or September. If my memory serves correctly, the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES didn't arrive in stores until October or November.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Music Direct out of Chicago has dropped the price of the Sony DVP-nS900V from $1,000 to $599. Just got the flyer in the mail yesterday. Of course, you get progressive on this one. If you can stretch, this appears to be a great deal.
Go to www.amusicdirect.com... :)
Lee

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, $599 is the best price I have seen on the 'NS900V, though I haven't polled J&R Music World, OneCall, or Oade Bros. I've seen it for $700 at Crutchfield and Tweeter. Note that Sony announced a new ES DVD player at CES that I suspect will offer multi-channel and stereo SACD playback. I assume that is why the price of the 'NS900V so soon after its release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks