Price drop on 08/28/05?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rich Z, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Rich Z

Rich Z Extra

I've been hearing rumors of a price drop on Panasonic plasmas on 08/28/05. Anyone seeing evidence of this? Or are the retailers going to hold the line and use this as a basis for a big Labor Day sale instead?

2. Rich Z

Rich Z Extra

Well, I don't know how the local CC and BB prices are going to be, but these online prices look pretty attractive to me!

PANASONIC TH50PX50U

Reg price: $4,999.00
    Sale price: $3,487.00

PANASONIC TH50PX500U

Reg price: $5,499.00
    Sale price: $3,895.00

Guess I'll be checking the sales flyers in the Sunday paper pretty shortly.

3. Rich Z

Rich Z Extra

Heck, glad I like talking to myself.....[​IMG]

Circuit City's flyer in the Sunday paper had the PANASONIC TH50PX50U listed for $3,999 with a 10 percent rebate. So that brings it down to around $3,600. Not too bad! So I was thinking about running on over there with my burning wallet to check it out, but wait a minute..... WHY the price drop? Is Panasonic getting ready to introduce a newer and better unit and they want to clear the stock of the older units first? I've seen this sort of thing happen before this way. What do you guys that have been watching these plasma screen prices and such for a while think about this? Or do I need to answer myself again later on?

4. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

Rich,

I hate to see you talking to yourself for too long [​IMG]. These are the current Panasonics which won't see a change until sometime in the middle of next year. Panasonic came on-line with a new plasma factory in addition to its old ones and they were able to cut prices. What they actually hope to do with this cost-cutting measure is take away market share from the DLP and LCD manufacturers. Enjoy the great prices cuts and the great sets. Now, is a good time to buy a plasma if that's what you're in the market for.

(There is talk of another price cut coming at Thanksgiving if you want to wait it out.)

5. Rich Z

Rich Z Extra

Uh, you mean I have to talk to someone other then myself now?

Well myself also found that BB has the Pioneer 50 inch model on sale for about the same amount. Guess I need to eyeball them and see which one looks better to me.

Wait till Thanksgiving? Gee, I dunno..... Then someone will probably say something about another price cut right before Christmas..... Then Presidents Day..... Another couple of years, they will be giving the darn things away, I guess.

6. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I know. Prices will only get cheaper the longer you wait, but the longer you wait the more you will be missing out on watching TV on a better set than you have now.

About Pioneer...

They ARE introducing new sets in the next couple of months which are supposed to have better black levels and some overall improvements to make them equal or superior to the Panasonics. Now, if they can deliever a TV in the same price range as the Panasonics remains to be seen. So the Pioneers you are seeing at reduced prices are their way of moving out old stock before the new models come in.

7. Rich Z

Rich Z Extra

Yeah, I know. I've been buying computers since the late 70s, so I know the game of something better always being just over the horizon. Best you can do is to buy the very best that is available NOW, so it won't become obsolete so quickly.

I'm probably going to buy something this week. I think the two I will be looking the hardest at will be the Pioneer PDP-5051HD and the Panasonic TH-50PX50U. I wouldn't mind looking at one of the Samsung units as well. I can't get up into town until Tuesday, however, so I've got some time to seek out some reviews of the units so I have some feedback to chew on. What looks good to my eyes is going to be a big influence, but I would like to know what other people thought of what they bought.

But honestly, is there anything, technology wise, that I really should wait for instead of buying now? Anything that I am just to newbie to know about that I'll be kicking myself over 3 months from now?

8. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

Depends really what you're looking for. Some better DLP RPTVs are coming out later this year which have 1080p. As far as plasma, the Pioneer line is being upgraded. Probably the biggest change is the ability of sets to accept a 1080p signal through HDMI--few if any sets have this ability at present. Probably most or all will have it next year and production cycle. How important is it? Debatable at present. When HD-DVD and Blu-Ray get released it might factor in. As you stated, the evolution of electronics just doesn't stand still.

Check out AVS forum for more detailed information about your interst in plasmas.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40

9. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi guys!

Panasonic makes a great plasma unit. www.tvauthority.com is a Hometheaterforum.com sponsor and will give you excellent pricing. When you contact them please say you heard of them from HTF.

On a side note, up to YESTERDAY, the 50 and 500 Panny units were NOT calibratible. Some of sets have a very magenta gray scale. I was lucky enough to receive the instructions for calibrating these models. If interested in a calibration please contact me for details. Conversely, if you know of another ISF tech, feel free to have them contact me for info on how to calibrate them accurately.

Happy viewing!!

Gregg

10. Rich Z

Rich Z Extra

Actually I have been spending a fair amount of time on the TVauthority's website. I like their 5 star program, as it takes some of the worry about of buying stuff like this. Tallahassee, FL really doesn't have an over abundance of shops carrying this kind of stuff, and I don't think I will even be able to eyeball some of the models I am interested in. I REALLY want to see that Samsung HPR-5072 model before I decide on anything, but I don't think anyone has one in stock around here. I can't seem to find any reviews on it either. The search engines like Google, etc., have become mostly taken over by the retailers selling their merchandise and are basically useless looking for basic info.

Thanks.

11. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Pioneer Plasmas will accept 1080p? are they 1080p models though?

wouldn't it be stupid for the only displays that accept 1080p are panels unable to display it...

12. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

No, I was referring to the DLP RPTVs coming later this year. Supposedly, the new LG and maybe the new JVC will. All speculation and rumour at this point. Then again, the new 65 inch Panasonic plasma coming later this year might also. It remains to be seen if the new Pioneer plasmas will accept 1080p through HDMI.

Honestly, the way I see it, once the manufacturers sell you this years' sets which will only accept 1080p through vga, they will start production on the true 1080p sets so they can have something to sell you next year.

13. Rich Z

Rich Z Extra

Well, I pulled the trigger today on a PANASONIC TH50PX50U from Circuit City. Also wound up buying a stand and a new upconverting DVD player as well.

So Gregg, how about sending me those calibration instructions? The unit is supposed to be delivered on Friday.

BTW, I had the sales guy hook up a regular DVD player to one of the demo units. I was IMPRESSED! I was even more impressed that my wife was impressed with it. She normally is not interested in stuff like that, but she seemed real keen on this unit. I was real critical in watching some demos on it, but I didn't even see a hint of ghosting or trails from high contrast motion. I honestly thought I would be going home without making a purchase as I was not going to buy anything that had any of the above mentioned problems.

The only thing the wife and I disagreed on was that I wanted to mount this thing on the wall. She is afraid that with the three subwoofers I have in my audio system, it may be best to not put any more stress on the structure of our house then is absolutely necessary. [​IMG] I capitulated on that point and we picked out a stand instead.....

Hopefully it will be an interesting Labor Day weekend around here.

14. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The price drops are here. I am looking at the 37px50u. Up to last week, I had seen it for as low as $2500 (lists for $3k). But it was always 1-day special sales only at Frys. Most other places wanted at least $2700 for it. But over last weekend, I saw it for $2400 at BB, and (gulp) $2250 at Circuit City.

If you're looking at TVA, make sure to tell them your an HTF (or AVS) member. They will give you an even better price. [​IMG]

15. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

Congrats.

Hang onto that sales receipt. CC is easy to price match other stores' prices with.

16. Rich Z

Rich Z Extra

How long will they honor it? I know I have 30 days to take it back to them, and I assume the price match would apply as well during that time period.

Let me ask you something..... How reliable are these plasmas? Is it worthwhile getting the extended warranty on them? Or is that just throwing money away?

17. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, thirty days. But with the price cuts and the stores trying to outsell each other you might be able to get some additional savings within those thirty days.

I'd rate the Panasonics as having a very good reliability rating. If you buy with an American Express card, American Express gives you an additional year. Myself, I never buy extended warranties. That's me, however. If I get two or three years out of a product, I'm fine with that because I'm an "upgrade junkie" who's looking for the newest thing. You'll have to ask yourself if the price of the warranty is worth it to you. As the years go by, the price of plasma TVs will get cheaper. At what point does it get cheaper to replace the set instead of repairing it or buying a very long extended warranty? I haven't read of any "nightmare" stories about Panasonics going bad in their later years. If a set is going to go bad, it's usually within the first year. After that, it depends on how many hours you put on it and how "abusive" you are to the set. If you do get a warranty, the ones that Circuit City offer are excellent. I've read about people who get a brand new product if something goes wrong because Circuit City doesn't want to go through the repair hassle merry-go-round. Ask the salesperson about what the warranty covers and what their replacement policy is. And see if you can negotiate the price on your extended warranty--that's always a possibility.

18. Michael Douglas

Michael Douglas Stunt Coordinator

What are the biggest price drops people are finding with the Panasonics?

19. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Circular in today's paper. New list prices:

37" HD: $2500
    42" HD: $3000
    50" HD: $4000

20. Rich Z

Rich Z Extra

Circuit City is also offering a 10 percent rebate on the spot, so the price for the 50 inch model is more like $3600. That's what it says on my receipt as well.

I'm kind of antsy waiting for my unit to be delivered tomorrow (Friday). I called the store today to make sure everything was a green light. The guy said the unit had not been picked up from the other store but that is supposed to happen tomorrow and get the screen to me during the afternoon hours sometime. I don't know, I think something is going to get screwed up. I'm not pessimistic, just very cognizant of Murphy's Law and realistic that the SOB hates my guts for some reason. The wife and I spent HOURS today taking out the old TV set and entertainment center (my aching back!), and I have cables and components scattered all over the place to leave a hole to put this new screen in. So if it doesn't show up, I have a heck of a mess to look at all weekend (and a LONG weekend to boot!) plus no way to watch any movies for the duration. No, I am NOT going to put all that crap back together again........

Oh well, we'll see, I guess. Fingers are crossed.