What's new

Price Compare: PreOrders at B&M's for ST:TNG The Complete (1st & 2nd) Season Box Sets (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Since one of the hottest topics is the pricing for the season-by-season box sets for Star Trek: The Next Generation, I thought that the "Weekly Roundup" guy (that's me) ought to show exactly what's going on with the two box sets that have been announced so far.
Keep in mind that the prices are subject to change, and that website prices may not reflect what the same chains actually sell these items for in-store (Wal-Mart is especially bad about web prices not matching store prices).
So, without further ado, here are the prices as of today, per the websites of each B&M ("Brick and Mortar") store:

__________________Season 1___Season 2
Best Buy__________$ 99.99*___$ 99.99*
Blockbuster________$101.99____$101.99
Borders____________$124.99____$124.99
Circuit City_____Link Removed__Link Removed
CostCo_____________$ 94.99____$ 94.99
Fry's____________Link Removed_____N/A___
FYE________________$117.99____$150.98
Hollywood Video_____TBD________N/A___
K-Mart___________Link Removed_____N/A___
Sam's Club_________$ 94.48_____N/A___
Suncoast__________$112.49*_____N/A___
Target______________N/A________N/A___
Tower Records______$134.99_____TBD___
Wal-Mart___________$103.88____$103.88
* = a bonus gift is included with purchase.
By comparison, Amazon.com is showing $104.99 pre-order price for both Season 1 and for Season 2.
As for other e-tailers: Click here for DVD Price Search's comparison of online e-tailer prices for Season 1 (they don't seem to have Season 2 listed yet).
Yes, you read it right: I can find Season 2 at FYE's site, but no matter how hard I look, I cannot find Season 1!! :eek:
I don't see it listed at Fry's OUTPOST.COM site yet, either.
Note that I've included clickable links for each chain that shows these items so far. I'll post updates when I can. If anyone has anything to add, please feel free to reply!
Cheers,

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I see there's a new thread that finds cheaper online pricing than the $85.99 lowest price that "DVDPriceSearch" finds at the link in my previous post.
A couple of these are getting Season 1 for below $80! :eek:
If you prefer online e-tailers, that's the thread to follow! :)

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Dave,

With shipping - 88.99 @ DVDpricesearch lowest $ vendor...

at CD Now...with 20% off coupon - 87.08 per set shipped with 2 day air delivery!!! Unbeatable!

Eric.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Update time!
See the grid in the first post for the updated overall grid. Here's a list of the changes:
  • Sam's Club added S1 for $94.48, which is the new best price at B&M's.
    CostCo has lowered their price on S1 by $2.00, to $94.99, but added S2 in at $96.99 - this has the paradox of charging us $2.00 more for the set with one less disc than the rest of the seven sets will have! :eek: I'm sure Costco will change that before S2 arrives...won't they? :rolleyes
    Think that's bad? Wal-Mart has set up S2 for $118.99...which is $20.11 more than they sell S1 for !
    smiley_puke.gif

Hollywood Video has set up a placeholder for S1, with no price marked or anything...but there IS a note that "This title available for rent at most Hollywood Video stores". :laugh: Not only not correct yet, but grammatically incorrect to boot!
I'll let you all know whenever I see more changes, okay?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
A quick update this time (I hope it's more extensive next time):

Costco adjusted the price of Season 2 to $94.99, to match the price I reported for Season 1 last week.

Right now I'm buying either there or at Best Buy (for the free CD).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Several changes lately:
* Fry's finally joins the party, with Season 1 for $119.99
* FYE got around to listing Season 1, for $117.99..compared to the shorter Season 2 for $150.98!
* Tower Records put up a price for Season 1 ($134.99), and a placeholder for Season 2 (price TBD).
* Wal-Mart raised the price of Season 1 by $5 and lowered the price of Season 2 by $15.11; now they are both even Steven at $103.88.
On-line prices seem steady...Amazon at $104.99 still, which is $20 more than the lowest price of $84.99 I can find using DVD PriceSearch for either Season 1 OR Season 2.
As it heads down to the wire, I am planning to just hit Best Buy. Reputable chain that I've had good dealings with, with great policies to protect me, guarantee of getting it on street date, and the free goodie to boot (worth the extra $5 - to me - over the Costco or Sam's Club price). Plus, there's still a good chance that during the first week it's out there will be a sale price or some other incentive (like a free $5 gift card or something like that) besides the free CD-ROM disc. So, Best Buy is gonna get my business on this one, unless something drastic changes. I even have an employee promising to hide one of the free CD-ROM discs away for me...so great service to boot!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jimmy M tells me in this post that Blockbuster has these both for $101.99; since he's in-the-know I'll trust him on it, unless I get substantial info that he's wrong. Blockbuster's web site doesn't say, so the grid will link to Jimmy M's post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks