Price check.... Paradigm

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Ace, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Jeff_Ace

Jeff_Ace Extra

I am new to HT and am starting off with a Marantz sr5000. I am going to listen to a set of Paradigm Titans with the cc170 and Atoms for surrounds. What price should I pay? I was thinking $600 out the door, but I thought I'd throw the question out there and see what inputs I receive. For LFE I am probably going with the Sony SA-WM40 (have seen a lot of good reviews, and this sub is within my price range).

2. Evan H

Evan H Stunt Coordinator

The titans list at $210, don't know about the cc-170... my dealer give me a straight 15% reduction.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I got 4 Titans and a cc170 for $600. I'd honestly say, unless you are getting the Atoms for size reasons, get 4 Titans. Price difference is so minimal it's not worth it NOT to get Titans all the way around.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Funny John that is the exact opposite of what I woud say.

4 Atoms. Get them now though the price will jump when the version 3s come out.

Atoms are a HUGE value, with a very smooth sound.

Brent

5. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

If you can get to Canada, it would be well worth it. I just bought 4 Atoms/CC170/PDR-10 from a dealer in Canada for $1000 Canadian which is about $625 US. They itemized the bill as $200 for the CC170, $200 for each pair of Atoms, and $400 for the PDR-10. I believe that the Titans were about $40-$50 more for each pair, but I really liked the accuracy of the Atoms over the Titans. You really can't go wrong with either set up, but I would recommend either getting 4 Atoms or 4 Titans for a seamless soundstage.

Good Luck.

6. John Garcia

John
    Yes, the Atoms are more accurate, but they just don't have the presence for music. I wanted a little more bass extension than the Atoms had, especially at louder levels. The Titans can take a bit more power. The Titan is as good a value as the Atom, and nearly as accurate.

I have since upgraded to Mini Monitors for mains, with Titans still in the rear.

7. Jeff_Ace

Jeff_Ace Extra

I have listened to both the atoms and the titans. To me, the titans sound a bit better for music and I think the extra $30-$40 is worth paying for the titans. My set-up will be about 60% music and 40% movies, therefore the musicallity (is that a word) of the titans would be useful. Also, as far as I know, the titans can not be wall mounted, correct me if I'm wrong. I have to wall mount my rears because my HT area is only about 3/4th of my living room and the shape/size of the room requires the rears on the walls. Well, thaks for the replies and any further replies will be appriciated.

8. John Garcia

John
    Yes you can mount Titans on the wall, though it is not optimal. You should strongly consider plugs for the ports. Paradigm makes their own brackets for both the Atoms and Titans, which can be found on their site:
    Brackets

9. Evan H

Evan H Stunt Coordinator

I realize that everyone has different tastes when listening to speakers. With that in mind, i prefered the Atoms to the Titans for music. I felt that the atoms had a tighter bass response. The titans were a little lower, but i felt that they sounded boomier, and so I didn't care for that.

10. Jeff_Ace

Jeff_Ace Extra

Well, tomorrow I will be driving the hour and a half to Oakhurst, CA to audition the titans, cc170 and atoms. Hoping to get the complete set for about $580 out the door. On my way home, I will stop at BB and listen to the sawm40 sub. If I like it, I will probably order online for around $150 (fingers crossed).