What's new

Price check on Paradigm Studio and Yamaha RXV1000 (1 Viewer)

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
There is one authorized Paradigm Reference dealer only locally.
I've gotten a quote for a pair of shielded Studio 60 and Studio CC for CAD$1999 (under US$1300) plus tax, which comes out to about only $100 off list price, which is higher than what I was quoted many moons ago.
Or I can get the speakers plus the Yamaha RXV1000 for a total of CAD$3200 (under US$2100), which translates to another $100 off only.
I'm willing to venture outside of downtown Toronto if I can get cheaper prices. I'm particularly interested in the speakers. Another place is Audio One. Any good?
The receiver does have the numerous digital inputs, pre-outs for all channels, and 5 channel stereo I want, but I don't think it has THX-like reequalization that I wouldn't mind having. I also need 6 inputs for DVD-Audio, and it would be nice to have pre-main coupling for an equalizer although I doubt I'd ever use it.
The receiver is really secondary since my current one works fine except for DVD-A and 5-channel stereo and THX re-eq. I can upgrade that later. What about Onkyo or Marantz?
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
[Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on August 08, 2001 at 06:23 PM]

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
^
|
So what are other Torontonians paying for a pair of Studio 60s and a Studio CC? CAD$1999 seems a tad steep.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
You don't even need to drive anywhere. I live in Whitby and there is an authorized dealer here call Whitby Audio. I bought my entire line of Paradigm Monitor series speakers and my Pw2200 there.
Look up the dealers on www.paradigm.ca and you can get the Whitby audio phone number...just call and ask for a quote on the speakers. They don't sell Yammy (which I have as well, RxV800) but they sell Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Pioneer Elite...and others.
They are great people and can give you a decent estimate.
------------------
Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
Could you pick them up for me?

Gruson

Second Unit
Great combo! I use 40s and that same Yamaha receiver :)
------------------
Equipment:
Mitsubishi 65907 65" HDTV ISFd Steve Martin
Yamaha RX-V1000 6.1
Paradigm PW2200
Paradigm Studio CC
Paradigm Studio 40s
CV LS-15s
CV LS-8s
Toshiba 6200 Progressive
Pioneer CLD704 LD
Aura Bass Shakers
1080i DirecTV

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't pay any more than $1700 CDN and I think $1600 CDN is reasonalbe and should be doable. $1100 for the 60's and $500 for the CC. Maybe go in and tell them you will pay $1600-1650 (add in the amount for tax where you are) tax in, cash. Or give them the 1600 number to start and go as high as the 1650 with your bartering. If they don't take it, start to walk out, they'll either stop you and let you have them, or you'll walk out and find a dealer who will give you that price. Especially since Toronto will have lots of dealers to choose from, I only have one to deal with, if I walk out I have to drive over an hour and wait for them to order them, or drive 5 hours to Edmonton.
It's usually pretty accurate with Paradigm to take the US list price and use that as the price you can get in Canada, but with CDN dollars instead.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
OK thanx, it looks like I'll have to look elsewhere. I'll try Whitby and Audio One. That store did quote me a better price before (like about $1700 plus shielding) many months ago, but now they won't.
I'll add $80 to your prices because that seems to be the going rate for shielding which I'll need. Anybody ever try running three Studio CCs (tilted downward)? Seems like an interesting idea, and it would vastly simplify my issues with speaker placement, but of course, it seems like too much of a compromise especially when I'm dealing with the Reference line.
I think I may hold off on the Yammy. It seems nice but AFAIK it doesn't have a high-freq attenuation setting that I'd want for movies.
------------------

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Thanks. I got another 200 bux off for the three speakers, including shielding.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread