Prewiring question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Bulloch, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Rob Bulloch

Rob Bulloch Auditioning

Hello All:

I wanted to get opinions on prewiring for a home theatre under construction in my house. I wish to rough in wiring for a FPTV that will hang from the ceiling - will be drywalled so proper prewiring is important. I know to wire in a 110 volt AC receptacle but little else. Should I prewire for component cables? I don't have the projection unit yet but want to make sure I have all bases covered in terms of wiring needed both for present day technology and whatever the future may bring.

Thanks.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Rob,

First, welcome to the Forum!

Wire for component (three cables), composite and S-video to have all the bases covered. Since it's impossible to predict what kind of technology the future will bring, you might make sure you can pull extra wires if eventually needed. So leave a pull string, or install conduit to the location, etc.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Rob Bulloch

Rob Bulloch Auditioning

Thanks Wayne;

Actually, installing a conduit make sense and it would be easy for me to do since its a nice straight run from where the future projector will hang to the equipment area.

In terms of component cables, can I use RG6 coaxial? If so, is it critical that all three cables be exactly the same length? I read somewhere that this is very important.

Thanks again.

Rob

4. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

You should wire for a higher connection method than component, composite or S-Video. These are inadequate IMHO. Run three mini-HR (mini 5 BNC cables) from your homerun to the projector location. This will allow for 5 BNC connection, component, multiple composites (if ever needed which is not likely) and S-Video (again not likely). With a projector you will have to use an external processor (scaler) in the video chain before the signal hits the projector if you want the best image quality possible. Most scalers accept multiple component, composite and S-Video connections and output 5 BNC to the projector. You may also want to run a VGA cable while you are at it. Regards.

5. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

Rob,

I would recommend running at least 5 RG-6 quad shielded cables (with BOTH ends labelled. Save yourself the headache). As far as I know, quad shield is the best way to prevent hum in systems. Going with RG-6 (solid core) will help to preserve bandwidth over long runs. My $.02.

-Christian

6. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

If you run RG-6 then you need to invest in Maxi HR. It is 5 RG6 cables bundled together for 5 BNC. Much easier to work with and pull. This type of cable is definite overkill unless you have a long run. I use Mini HR in nearly all of my installs and I used it in my showroom systems. Regards.

7. Rob Bulloch

Rob Bulloch Auditioning

Thanks to all who replied:

The run is quite short - around 20 feet. Which leads to my next question. How close to the screen should the projector be? My room is 18 by 13 and the future screen will be on one of the 13 foot walls. How far back along the ceiling should I terminate the cables to prep for the proposed projector location?

Thanks

8. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Distances depend on quite a few things. Size of image, type of projector, room lighting etc. So knowing what projector is to be used is fairly important before making a decision on where to terminate your wires. You may put the projector up and find that you have to move it a couple of feet laeving a lot of wire hanging from the ceiling(or not enough). I would suggest running conduit(or wiring) at least beyound half way, capping it off and mark on the finnished ceiling where it lays for easier location later. If conduit, run at least two seperate 1 for power and 1 for data,keeping them far enough (8-12") apart to avoid interference.

9. Rob Bulloch

Rob Bulloch Auditioning

Thanks for the tip Bill;

I've decided to run 2 lengths of conduit as you advised and to take them to just beyond the half way point. This I think is the best bet since I have no idea what projector I will eventually buy or when. I just wanted to be 'future ready' and wanted also to make sure I didn't screw up -- once the drywall is up its game over for prewiring.

Thanks