Prewire?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by CurtJ, Mar 1, 2006.

1. CurtJ

CurtJ Stunt Coordinator

I have decided to wait on finishing the basement and dedicated home theater room until after we move into our new house. What things should I have the builder do to prepare the basement for finishing it? I know people talk of "prewire". What kind of wires should be ran at this time.
    Thanks.

2. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

I'd have him run 3 or 4 circuits to the basement. You can route them where you please when you frame it in. Also, prerun at least one Coax from the prerun cable wiring, phone and if possible run cat5, phone and cable to every room in the house, including the basement. Make sure all electrical runs to the basement are on their on circuit. Have the electrician do a whole house surge suppressor and power conditioner. Short of this do a circuit breaker that has built in surge for the whole house.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Before the room is finished as well, you should plan out your theater design. Complex systems can get very very involved, but as a starting point make sure you run lots of relevant cables: speaker cable, video, in-ceiling power for a projector, etc etc. Conduits also help future proof things if plans change and you end up needing to pull new wires of whatever type.

4. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

I would wait at least a year before doing any finishing down there. You may (and probably will) develop small cracks that could have some water seeping in. You want to make sure that you have excellent drainage from your house (tie downspouts, graded yard). You should wait to let the house settle a little, then fix any cracks. Have a professional come in, and fix the cracks. The stuff you paint on the walls to keep water out, is not a fix.