Prewire is 16 ga. enough?

Duke72

Agent
Real Name
Brian Aucoin
I bought some 16 ga oxygen free thick jacket wire to pre wire. I am using Denon AVR-2307C with Boston Accoustics DSI-460 in wall speakers. Should I get started or get a heavier gauge wire?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I would suggest 14 gauge wire if the total run exceeds 20 feet (some experts say 15) and 12 gauge wire if the total run exceeds 30 feet (some experts say 20). Otherwise you are susceptible to subtle distortion if you try to get sound volumes comparable to in a commercial theater.

At low sound volumes, say volumes you can talk over, you will not notice any wire related degradation with 16 gauge wires out to 30 feet.

14 gauge non-oxygen free wire will outperform 16 gauge oxygen free wire. In-wall wiring should be done with wire suitable for the purpose, specifically with a degree of flame resistance. Household Romex (tm) type wiring is often used although it is not very attractive if the continuous cable is left hanging out of the wall to go directly to the speakers without wall terminals or banana jacks.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I usually jsut reccomend getting a big spool of 12ga and running that everywhere. You can pick thes eup online or at home depot, lowes etc.

Adam Gregorich

Owner
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
For a HT system I wouldn't go any lower than 14 gauge. I second the comment about getting wire rated for in wall use. It should say CL2 or CL3 on the jacket.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Druiz23