What's new

Previously Viewed...Why Not? (1 Viewer)

Al Stuart

Stunt Coordinator
My big problem with Blockbuster, more so than the cases, is that their used DVDs (at least by me) cost close to, as much as, and even more than new versions, sometimes even at the same store! "Catch Me If You Can" used - $19.99. "Catch Me If You Can" new - $18.99. I don't want to spend more than $10 or so on a used disc, and all Blockbuster seems to offer are discs $15 and above. If they're asking less than $15, then it's something that retails for $15 or less.
Well I don't know specifically where you live, but the Blockbusters that I get used stuff from in NYC don't ever do this kind of thing. If you wait for a sale (and don't say that you don't like having to wait, because if you were impatient, you would have bought it the first week it came out anyway), which BB often does to get rid of "guaranteed in stock titles" after the first few weeks, you'll find ridiculous deals, I've gotten many a $30 2 disc set for $7 (Cast Away, Royal Tennenbaums, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Unbreakable, etc.), or sometimes even cheaper with their buy 2 get 1 free deals. Most of the titles that they have too many of drop to $9.99 within a few weeks. Now granted they have almost no selection, and I have to go to Kim's or Tower Records if I want something that didn't play on 2000 screens, but it's hard to really whine when spending so little.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
I buy used, and I have done it through e-bay.

Actually, I have recently been purchasing ALOT of my DVDs through ebay. Its been a great experience, I recently picked up Bridge on the River Kwai Limited Edition for a total of $15.00, which I consider a steal. The same can be said for Criterion releases or anything that retails very high at stores like Hitchcock movies.

I am very careful when buying a disc, usually I like a image to be taken of the case and the disc.

I haven't had a problem yet....Well, except for the shipping/handling charges, but who doesn't with ebay.

Raymond

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
My girlfriend and I have bought about a dozen used/pv DVDs and haven't had a problem with any of them. The ones I've bought were Blockbuster deals and the discs were in good condition. They come in their rental boxes, but as long as the cover's the same and it's fairly clean, I don't mind. Any title that I'm REALLY wanting right away I'll pick up new with the regular cover anyway.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
David Lambert is a frequenter of this site and his weekly update can be found in the coupons & bargains forum.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
This year I have bought almost exclusively used. The only time I buy new now is during Best Buy's 5 for 30, 3 for 30 or 2 for 20 sales. Except for a used Criterion Seven Samurai which I received today ($20), I haven't spent more than $10 on a DVD in months. I have a video store here that sells newish releases (a couple of months old) for $10 but they might be gone soon.

I have been so spoilt pricewise I simply cannot in good conscience fork out the usual $20 anymore. I would rather wait. The only foreseable exception are the Two Towers releases in August and November.

--
Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks