Previously Viewed DVDs - the uncharted goldmine

Discussion in 'DVD' started by chrisMCG, Jun 22, 2003.

1. chrisMCG

chrisMCG Agent

I used to be like most of you - I would go every DVD Tuesday and pick up the latest and 'greatest' at a cost which now makes my stomach cringe. I have a couple of buddies who had started purchasing previously viewed discs, but being the awkward fellow that I am - I was unable to commit myself - until a few months ago that is.

My first previously viewed disc was a little film called The Price of Milk - it's not the best film I've ever seen, but it had it's own sense of charm. The things that really surprised me the most were a) the disc cost a fraction of what it would have cost new (10 bucks compared to 25), and b) the disc sported no scratches whatsoever, in fact it really looked like it had only been played once or twice.

When I shop for previously viewed I usually look for the 9.99 discs first - these are the discs that have been through the markdowns and are usually the cheapest you can find. Most titles that don't sell are eventually 9.99. I've picked up things like Road to Perdition for 12.99 - compared to 24.99, and The Kid Stays in the Picture for 9.99 - compared to 27.99!

So, my suggestion to you is that if you haven't checked out the previously viewed method - try it out! It just takes one - and then the addiction is like crack and you'll find you can either save your bucks or expand your collection like mad.

That's my 2 [​IMG]

Cheers

2. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Can anyone give some names of stores in Southern California (hopefully near the Inland Empire) that buy and sell previously viewed DVDs? I see the local Wherehouse stores do but they seem pretty beat up there.

3. Ray O

Ray O Extra

I'm getting all my PV'ed discs at Rogers Video, as I get an additional 10% off. I don't bother buying any of the new dvd's that I know are selling in high volumes, there are always lots of rental copies that eventually will be sold off. I've only had one dvd that was defective, and it was returned with no questions asked. I pick them up for $10CDN.

4. chrisMCG

chrisMCG Agent

Right on Ray O - Rogers actually has some decent indie flicks too (I've found quite a few cool indie pics, as well as some classic B Horror films i.e. Teenage Caveman!). I prefer Rogers to Blockbuster - Blockbuster usually is more expensive - and believe it or not, Rogers is usually better than most of the smaller PV stores around here

5. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Ok I am definitely one to advocate for previously viewed DVDs. I am still in college. But did you realize that Road To Perdition was only $14.99 when it came out at the B&Ms? That said, I have never (and will never) pay more than $15.99 NEW for a SINGLE DVD (excludes season sets and multi-disc titles). I have just over 620 titles in my collection now and more than half of them were purchased previously viewed.

6. Kris Gates

Kris Gates Auditioning

Mathew,

You're in Florida. They're in Canada. Most hot new DVDs here in the US cost $20 on average. In Canada, it's $27-30.

7. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

I get my used discs on Amazon.com. Maybe I've just been lucky in my purchases, but I'm 17/17, all in excellent condition and non have any play issues.

8. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

I'll have to take another look at PV DVDs. From my experience, whenever I go to the video store and see what they've got, they're just selling a bunch of scratched disks for 20 dollars CAN (when I can buy them new for about 25). It's a joke.

Jonny K.

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Note, that's $30 Canadian, which is only a few cents off of $20 US. DVDs actually tend to be slightly cheaper in Canada.

10. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

You know what's interesting? The Canadian dollar is now much stronger than it was before. Instead of paying $1.50 for a US dollar, now we pay $1.35. But have you noticed any price changes? Nope. I wonder where all the extra money is going? [​IMG]

Jonny K.

11. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Actualy, in Canada, most week of release prices are about 20-25 Canadian.

12. Ronnie Schildha

I have found pawn shops to be a great source for used DVd'S. From 8 to 10 bucks each. I'm talking movies such as Lord of the Rings (8 bucks) , Star Wars I & II (8 bucks each) Armegeddon Criterion Collection (10 bucks). Usually movies are in very good condition and often they could even be called mint. I try to avoid buying from rental stores because of the excessive handling.

13. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Uncharted DOMAIN!!! Well...maybe for you but I've been playing this game for years. And the one thing I have learned is that CDWarehouse and those type of places that sell used games or CDs or DVDs are great for finding OOP DVDs.(Flash Gordon for $4.99 anyone?)

But pawn shops take the cake. Most of my good finds came from pawn shops. Yea, their dirty, they stink, and well...you get the point. They are, by all practical standards, the worst place for service. But they are the best place for price. In fact I just micked up a mint copy of Rashomon Criterion Collection for $9, plus all of the other great prices(ranging from 4.99 to 9.99). And 99% of the time you can get them to come down on the prices if you buy 3 or 4. Just ask and you shall receive. The same goes for the used CD stores. I always get $ off when I buy CDs or DVDs their and they always come down for box sets.

Try the pawn shops would be my recommendation unless you live in the Twin Cites metro, then their off limits! J/K

Happy hunting!!!

14. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

$14.99 is my cut-off for any single-disc DVD, old or new. Now, if it's a two (or more) disc set, I expect to pay a little bit more and usually do if it's new release. Most of the time Best Buy or Wal-Mart will have it the cheapest the week of release, so I go there.

15. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

There should hardly be any problem with used discs as long as you're able to verify that they're not (seriously) scratched.

16. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

My local Blockbuster charges $19.99 for many of their "previously viewed" DVD's.

[​IMG]

17. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

I've noticed Roger's Video has started putting those little stickers around the centre of their rental DVD's. Do they remove them when they sell the DVD's? If not, are they difficult to remove?

18. chrisMCG

chrisMCG Agent

19. RISUG

RISUG Stunt Coordinator

Rob,$19.99?, Bhwahahahahahahahaha. I never pay more than $9.99 for previously viewed from Ballbuster..I mean Blockbuster.Not since dvds were first released have I seen previously viewed movies being sold for $19.99 from Blockbusters in the Chicago land area.

I'd like to know what the people at the Blockbusters over in CA Riverside are smokin......must be some good stuff.[​IMG]

20. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

I think my local Movie Gallery sells previously viewed discs for "buy 2 for $16.99 each, get one free," which is about $11.33 each for three. The problem is, I can never find three that I want to buy, and I'm always concerned that the discs are going to be in poor shape. On top of that I really don't feel $11 is a good price considering that I can buy new DVDs for just a few dollars more.