previews

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Mike Frezon said:
Your logic that a letter (which you describe as "important) did NOT need surnames of its recipients, but DID need capitalization totally escapes me. In your mind, no surnames = friendliness while capitalization = respect (and hope that the letter will get read). Why would you do one and not the other? That does not compute. To me that's like saying you would show up for a job interview dressed in your best suit and tie (because you want to be taken seriously) but then call the Human Resources Director (whom you've never met) by his/her first name.
perhaps i did not do a good job at explaining, so let me try again.

a big business department head is very likely to get a lot of emails. i suspect that most of them may never get read, simply because of time constraints.

so said person needs to be somewhat selective. without capitalization, it is another reason why the email may be deleted, without ever getting to the content of the message.

let's just say that i am lucky enough that for whatever reason, the department head decides to read the letter.

i felt i had a better chance by using an informal approach as opposed to a formal approach.

i have never seen a letter of any kind addressed as dear ann jones. so i am not sure just exactly how you would have chosen to do the salutation if you had been writing it.

if the site had listed the heads as miss ann jones, mrs. ann jones, director ann jones, or anything of the like, i would very likely have chosen to keep the salutation formal, as well.

that is the logic that i used in deciding how to make the salutation.

ahollis

Premium
Real Name
Allen
I think the subject of this thread was previews on the front of Blu-ray Discs that annoy some people. Most people take it with a grain of salt (not film grain) and skip over them. It has been suggested that those that don't like the previews either cease purchasing those discs that are offending and/or write a letter/email to the higher ups explaining your complaint. The thread has moved to the point of forum etiquette. It seems there's really nothing more to say on the subject, so I ask a Moderator to see and review if the thread should be closed and locked. It is getting very repetitious. Thank you!

Reactions: Joe Bernardi

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
ahollis said:
I think the subject of this thread was previews on the front of Blu-ray Discs that annoy some people. Most people take it with a grain of salt (not film grain) and skip over them. It has been suggested that those that don't like the previews either cease purchasing those discs that are offending and/or write a letter/email to the higher ups explaining your complaint.The thread has moved to the point of forum etiquette. It seems there's really nothing more to say on the subject, so I ask a Moderator to see and review if the thread should be closed and locked. It is getting very repetitious.Thank you!
Agreed.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
I've been following this thread with some fascination (and trepidation) for the past few days. It's even more fascinating when the "ignore" option is utilized. :P

Regarding unskippable trailers in the beginning of the film, they're a pain, but not a dealbreaker for me when it comes to buying a movie or not. After all, I usually end up finding out after-the-fact, so I never saw a point in grumbling about it.

Also, I'm sure anyone who's bought a "Doctor Who" DVD can sympathize with unskippable anything. Every disc (of the classic series) will feature skippable content in the beginning, before giving us that damn 17-second menu introduction that is unskippable beyond belief. You can't hit Menu, you can't hit Chapter-Skip. Every time the disc loads, after we get the BBC ident, the 2|entertain ident, the current-series-of-Who trailer, and the BBC America promo, we get a 17-second introduction with the time vortex, the TARDIS, and the show's logo, all before we ever get to a menu. While 17 seconds may seem slight, it can last an eternity sometimes. I've learned to live with it for the past twelve years. Surely others can do the same.

:)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
ahollis said:
I have been dealing with previews before the movies since the VHS days. Just glad I can skip forward now instead of fast forward.
I can't recall which blu-rays they were, but there have been at least two where I couldn't skip forward. I had to fast forward. I recall reading on another thread (and don't ask me to remember which one) that even fast forward can be disabled. If that's the case, it may be only a matter of time...

ahollis

Premium
Real Name
Allen
Rick Thompson said:
I can't recall which blu-rays they were, but there have been at least two where I couldn't skip forward. I had to fast forward. I recall reading on another thread (and don't ask me to remember which one) that even fast forward can be disabled. If that's the case, it may be only a matter of time...
I have many, no a lot of Blu-ray titles and every one that has previews can be skipped. I do have some older Disney DVDs that don't allow to skip option and you had to fast forward. Disney did change their whole set up for previews for Blu giving you the option at start up to go to movie or watch previews. I'm sure that change was brought on by irate mothers complaining. I have never seen a preview that could not be fast forward. Not sure if that is possible. I think that the era of un-skippable previews is in the past and not the future, but I do think you will see more previews attached as time goes by.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Plenty of BDs and DVDs made by Canadian companies (and that's the only place to get them) have unskippable "everything" before the main menu. Hell, lots of recently-made DVDs even have chapter skipping disabled. This may sound strange to you, but this sort of rubbish is commonplace in all sorts of product/service sold here.

Our features on Canadian-market BDs may be identical to the American ones, but the arrangement of things and the unskippable crap is common, and we often have twice as much of it to wade through too, due to dual languages. But, as in the "DVD days" of yore, BD prices have dramatically fallen here this year, and it's rarely cheaper to buy the U.S. ones, so we put up with them jamming us re BD control.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I've watched a few East Indian DVDs for essays I've written and they are packed with logos, trailers, mail order products, food ads and even grocery store commercials before the main menu loads.

ahollis

Premium
Real Name
Allen
Professor Echo said:
I've watched a few East Indian DVDs for essays I've written and they are packed with logos, trailers, mail order products, food ads and even grocery store commercials before the main menu loads.
Can you skip or fast forward past them?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What kills me about previews...The smaller film outlets(Strand, IFC, Tartan, etc) always make their previews a part of the menu.Otherwise I couldn't care less. When BD debuted, it took forever for the first players to get anywhere. I still do the same thing...1. Plop movie in2. Go make popcorn/grab beer/chips3. Enjoy movie.

Reactions: Suzanne.S

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcbcar