What's new

previews (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi guys,

seeing heinz ketchup sitting on the table doesnt bother me in the slightest. it doesnt take away from the show, and it helps keep prices down.

i wish all advertising was that non-intrusive.

advertisers care when it hurts their sales.

i know you guys dont care as much about it as i do, but not only does it bug me in terms of being forced to do something, but again i see it as a slap in the face. a punishment for buying their product.

i am not putting any more effort into it than i just did.

i do hope that each and every one of you will take the time to do as i did, for those things that do bug you. it is the only way that we consumers can change things.

we need to complain, and follow thru by actually not buying the product.

one thing you may be wondering about is whether i will actually follow thru ? lots of people say stuff, but dont really intend to do.

I NEVER BLUFF in real life. i bought my last sony disk, unless things change.

with regards to disk and disc - i think i am older than most of you (58), so i am more old-schooled.

it used to be that disc was more of a british ? spelling of the same word. in other words, disk and disc were the exact same word. but in the states, disk was always used. and in some other countries, disc was used. but they were not different words, just different spellings.

i guess, from what you are saying, the two words have actually morphed into different meanings ?

that probably wont change for me, any time soon - as that is somewhat enGRAINed in my memory - pun intended. and you guys thought that i didnt like grain !!!

the three names are the bigwigs of the sony pictures entertainment division of sony. they are listed on the site. i preferred to use a more personal tone, instead of calling them mr. smith and mr. jones - in this particular case.

anyone who looks at capitalization instead of context is not really worth impressing, so i dont worry about it. i can hold my own and then some, with anyone. so you cant say that i lack confidence.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
with regards to the "obsolete" aspect of the previews - yes they will be obsolete.

the only reason those previews are placed on the disk is to create sales for a newly released product.

they are "newly released" for a short time.

it would be way better for a studio to place a color flyer in each disk that is bought that instructs the consumer to go to studiomoviecatalog.com to see their entire catalog.

if i want to know about abc movie, i am not gonna be able to find it on my disks (assuming it is there), without searching thru a truckload of them.

the alternative is to click on a url and click on the movie title - only about a million times more efficient, AND MORE LIKELY TO RESULT IN A SALE FOR THE STUDIO.

there is simply way too much of this throw it in your face type of advertising. if you are not old enough, that may be all you have ever seen.

but there was once a time, when the product itself did most of the advertising !! you go back and listen to commercials from the 50s and 60s.

they will appear quaint to people today, cuz they dont have so much razzamatazz in them. by gosh, they actually talk about the product in some detail, instead of being designed to have some angle to it.

one thing that tends to happen as a person gets older - they are less willing to put up with all the bs. and a heckuva lot quicker to catch onto it. been there, done that sort of thing.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Bottom line: studios do market research, and will target advertising to have the most effect, and that means where it is most in the public eye. They're not going to relegate all advertising to some link you can click on "for more information". Whether you're willing to put up with it or not is neither here nor there, as, with all due respect, you do not represent a large group of people. You've submitted a complaint, fair enough. Now if several hundred thousand other people do the same, maybe something will change. No harm in trying, but basically you're going to find that few people care enough about this to do anything, and I for one am not going to stop buying movies on BD just because of trailers. Best of luck with it.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi persian,

i do agree with you that media will change, at some point. but i dont think we will be unable to play our current medium.

as to whether i or any other consumer will switch over, probably all depends on the situation.

i see myself still keeping what i have, but probably switching over for the new stuff. and possibly updating some of my more favorite titles.

to be honest, i feel confident that we will one day have technology that will be able to capture every last bit of info from "filmed" movies, and place them in a video format, with who knows how much resolution, by then.

i am not sure that digital has any exact limitations for how high the resolution can get.

i am probably content to keep most of my stuff as is. but my favorites and the stuff that has too much grain for me, i will switch over.

but the clarity of faces is really pretty good, now. in the past, everything was a bit fuzzy. and halos always existed around faces.

i am also not nearly as interested in newer stuff. mostly because it tends to mirror the morality and such that is in society, which for my taste, keeps getting worse.

i like leave it to beaver, father knows best, donna reed, my three sons, and all those family types of shows. bonanza and all the western shows. that sort of content simply isnt made any more.

while clarity is important to me, if the content is not desirable - then the clarity of it is a non-issue, cuz i aint gonna be watching it !!!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Feeding is not advised. Really. It's so obvious now - then again, I called this a week ago and I am here to tell you I was right then and I'm right now.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I don't think you're right Bruce, at least in terms of deliberate intent. But I suppose the ultimate result is much the same. I'll make a note not to enter into such threads in the future, as I agree that there's something rather odd at work here, one way or another :)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
good morning,

since some of you truly do not like my posts, or think i have some hidden intentions, please do as suggested and place me on your ignore list.

i wont feel insulted, and it should make your experience here more to your pleasing.

i dont expect to be liked by everyone.

gosh, if only i could find a way to put previews on my ignore list !!!!!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
haineshisway said:
Feeding is not advised. Really. It's so obvious now - then again, I called this a week ago and I am here to tell you I was right then and I'm right now.
I think this is unfair. I've been reading some of Jimmy's posts and while he does disagree with many of us, he's sincere and has been asking us for info on various subjects.

I agree with Jimmy on being irritated by forced previews, even those that can be skipped. My ideal disc is the one that goes directly to the menu.

I do not think this will improve simply because for most of the buying public, this is not a deal-breaker issue.

I believe that when studios sit down to design their next blu-ray release they first ask "how can we squeeze every dollar out of this release, and we don't care if the customer is inconvenienced!"

There is a lack of respect for the customer.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
thank you johnny,

you hit the nail on the head with something that i feel, but i dont think i stated - at least not as good as you just did.

and that is - i have simply lived too long and no longer am willing to tolerate some stuff - by matter of principle.

i absolutely realize that most people are gonna be willing to hit a few buttons so that they can play the movie they want.

if i was just thinking of my personal pleasure - i also would be willing to hit a few buttons, as opposed to missing a movie that i really liked.

that is exactly why the studios do this - they know that they can get away with it. and i simply will no longer allow anyone to manipulate me or control me - in that way.

even if it means i miss out on something that i would like.

if we give an inch, they will take a foot.

we can fight back. it is not just this issue - it has higher implications.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
jimmyjet said:
with regards to disk and disc - i think i am older than most of you (58), so i am more old-schooled.

the three names are the bigwigs of the sony pictures entertainment division of sony. they are listed on the site. i preferred to use a more personal tone, instead of calling them mr. smith and mr. jones - in this particular case.

anyone who looks at capitalization instead of context is not really worth impressing, so i dont worry about it. i can hold my own and then some, with anyone. so you cant say that i lack confidence.
Jimmy:

Firstly, you are mistaken if you believe you are older (at 58) than most of the members of this forum.

Personally, I think it's a mistake--in a business communication--to be informal with someone with whom you have had no prior interaction. I would say it is bad form to address someone by their first name in such correspondence. Addressing someone you've never met in a personal manner is generally considered rude.

And in terms of your opinion that people who "look at capitalization" are not worth impressing...I find that offensive. You thought enough of the Sony executives to properly capitalize your e-mail...yet you intentionally don't capitalize here on a forum where nearly all the members use proper capitalization and punctuation. I guess that shows how much you think of us here.

This is not a question of whether you can "hold your own" or if you are "confident" but how you interact with others in this community...and, how they are likely to receive your message.

Whether intentional or not, you are erecting barriers which will interfere with your ability to clearly and effectively communicate with others here on this forum.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Johnny Angell said:
I think this is unfair. I've been reading some of Jimmy's posts and while he does disagree with many of us, he's sincere and has been asking us for info on various subjects.

I agree with Jimmy on being irritated by forced previews, even those that can be skipped. My ideal disc is the one that goes directly to the menu.

I do not think this will improve simply because for most of the buying public, this is not a deal-breaker issue.

I believe that when studios sit down to design their next blu-ray release they first ask "how can we squeeze every dollar out of this release, and we don't care if the customer is inconvenienced!"

There is a lack of respect for the customer.
We can agree to disagree about what's fair. I'm not the only one here who thinks what I think. We can all have our likes and dislikes about Blu-ray discs and how they function - I have a handful of things that bug me about certain discs, but I find no need to go on ad nauseum about it and I certainly don't think it's a personal slap in my personal face and I certainly don't need to write to a studio to tell them that a little something bugs me and I especially wouldn't do it by using the first names of the people who run said studio. When you read the same basic post over and over again - sorry, something is, as Persianmortal says "a little odd" and a little off. As for me, I'm not going to use the ignore button yet (haven't ever done so) because it just seems weird to me, but I will not be returning to this thread.

And for the record, I don't like it if previews can't be skipped - who would? But I don't think I have many discs like that, and while it may be an irritant, it would certainly never stop me from buying a movie I love. If a trailer truly can't be skipped (VERY rare) then I put on the disc and leave the room and do other things until the menu appears. Otherwise, I just use the next button or go directly to the menu on my remote.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
haineshisway said:
We can agree to disagree about what's fair.
I'm only quoting a portion of your reply since that's all I'm replying to. In your previous post, you were accusing Jimmy of being an internet troll, at least that's how I interpreted it. That's what I thought was not fair. Was I wrong?

And if we want to talk about rehashing a subject over and over and over...shall we talk Star Wars? Greedo shot first...no Han did...Lucas has stolen my childhood...and on and on.

Jimmy, I agree with Mike on the issue of the capitalization. You thought it was needed for the letter to Sony but not here? Frankly, it's the way a teeny-bopper might write.

As for disc versus disk, I hadn't know the difference till today and I know I've misused the two. However, context usually gets the true meaning across.

BTW, here's a definition I just found on Apple's website:
DiscsA disc refers to optical media, such as an audio CD, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, or DVD-Video disc. Some discs are read-only (ROM), others allow you to burn content (write files) to the disc once (such as a CD-R or DVD-R, unless you do a multisession burn), and some can be erased and rewritten over many times (such as CD-RW, DVD-RW, and DVD-RAM discs).
All discs are removable, meaning when you unmount or eject the disc from your desktop or Finder, it physically comes out of your computer.
DisksA disk refers to magnetic media, such as a floppy disk, the disk in your computer's hard drive, an external hard drive. Disks are always rewritable unless intentionally locked or write-protected. You can easily partition a disk into several smaller volumes, too.
Disks are usually sealed inside a metal or plastic casing (often, a disk and its enclosing mechanism are collectively known as a "hard drive").

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
QUOTED FROM HTF RULES:

Conduct
10. No personal attacks. We expect all members to treat each other with consideration and respect. While we encourage lively debate, we do not allow personal attacks. This includes direct attacks, such as name-calling, as well as indirect attacks, such as repeated baiting of a member in a provocative or belittling manner.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Mike Frezon said:
And in terms of your opinion that people who "look at capitalization" are not worth impressing...I find that offensive. You thought enough of the Sony executives to properly capitalize your e-mail...yet you intentionally don't capitalize here on a forum where nearly all the members use proper capitalization and punctuation. I guess that shows how much you think of us here.
hi mike,

i am a bit disappointed in your reply, but am also sorry that you were offended.

with regard to your first point about addressing the people at sony - i thought about it, and decided to make it look more friendly. i thought, and still feel, that i had a better chance of being heard if i did it this way. but i do understand your point. it was a judgment call. on the site, they are listed as ann smith, not mrs. smith. that had something to do with it.

it needed to be capitalized, cuz sony probably gets a gazillion emails a day. if they had seen one that was not capitalized, they may very well never have read it. and they still may not read it, as they only have time to do major issues.

with regards to your second point, and by far the more important one - the people on this forum. what i said was that people who look at capitalization over content are not worth impressing. and i still stand by that.

i look at what a person says. not how he capitalizes. not even how he spells. cuz some people are not good at spelling. for example, their and there get misused all the time. i dont let it concern me. but rather what statements he makes. what logic he uses. etc. in other words, the CONTENT of what he is saying.

whether i capitalize or not HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with what i think of you guys. i wasnt aware that i needed to impress anyone here ?

i dont capitalize with any of my best friends, or anyone that i am friendly with. i do not capitalize on any internet forums. i do capitalize when i am writing formal letters to people that i dont know, which is once in a blue moon.

i hope that clarifies what i think about you guys !!

if not, i like you guys - even if we disagree about a lot of stuff. i have learned a lot of stuff since participating.

in any case, i will let you guys know if i get any sort of interesting reply. otherwise, i dont really have anything to add about previews that i havent already said.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
jimmyjet said:
hi mike,

i am a bit disappointed in your reply, but am also sorry that you were offended.

with regard to your first point about addressing the people at sony - i thought about it, and decided to make it look more friendly. i thought, and still feel, that i had a better chance of being heard if i did it this way. but i do understand your point. it was a judgment call. on the site, they are listed as ann smith, not mrs. smith. that had something to do with it.

it needed to be capitalized, cuz sony probably gets a gazillion emails a day. if they had seen one that was not capitalized, they may very well never have read it. and they still may not read it, as they only have time to do major issues.

with regards to your second point, and by far the more important one - the people on this forum. what i said was that people who look at capitalization over content are not worth impressing. and i still stand by that.

i look at what a person says. not how he capitalizes. not even how he spells. cuz some people are not good at spelling. for example, their and there get misused all the time. i dont let it concern me. but rather what statements he makes. what logic he uses. etc. in other words, the CONTENT of what he is saying.

whether i capitalize or not HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with what i think of you guys. i wasnt aware that i needed to impress anyone here ?

i dont capitalize with any of my best friends, or anyone that i am friendly with. i do not capitalize on any internet forums. i do capitalize when i am writing formal letters to people that i dont know, which is once in a blue moon.

i hope that clarifies what i think about you guys !!

if not, i like you guys - even if we disagree about a lot of stuff. i have learned a lot of stuff since participating.

in any case, i will let you guys know if i get any sort of interesting reply. otherwise, i dont really have anything to add about previews that i havent already said.
Your logic that a letter (which you describe as "important) did NOT need surnames of its recipients, but DID need capitalization totally escapes me. In your mind, no surnames = friendliness while capitalization = respect (and hope that the letter will get read). Why would you do one and not the other? That does not compute. To me that's like saying you would show up for a job interview dressed in your best suit and tie (because you want to be taken seriously) but then call the Human Resources Director (whom you've never met) by his/her first name.

You then go on to say that you do not feel the need to capitalize here on the HTF because you don't think you need to impress anyone here. Well, if that is not a clear sign of disrespect, I'm not sure what is. I certainly take it as such. But if that's the way you want to roll, so be it.

I think you will agree that communications is not just the content of the message. Some of the movies you watch might have a great message..but because of some of the methods used by the director, that message is lost on you. You have also been quite vocal about your desire that films NOT have a lot of grain. (Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a great movie. But its greatness is lost on you because of the presence of grain.) You want "clarity" on your Blu-ray discs in order for you to be happy with them. From where I sit, that might not be so different from me (or your fellow HTF members) having the same expectation of your messages by not having to wade through messages without the clarity of proper capitalization.

Communications is not just about sending a message...but also about the message being received.

I am a moderator..but am following this discussion with you as a long time member of the forum. [I fully realize that it is not possible for me to be separated totally from that position.] Occasionally we have new sign-ups who use ALL CAPS when posting. It is not long before a variety of members will politely explain to the newbie that this is a forum that is different from other forums. We do not tolerate bad behavior, we ask for "real names" from our members to encourage civil discourse, etc. Just as new members who use ALL CAPS are prodded by the membership to change behavior and use standard writing practices, you are being poked to do the same. Not because we simply want you to conform...but to increase the likelihood that your posts will matter to others.

Here, again, your direct quote about the letter to Sony--which contained a message you felt was important to convey:
if they had seen one that was not capitalized, they may very well never have read it.
You capitalized your letter to Sony because you wanted them to read it. I cannot speak for our membership, but I, personally, would expect the same consideration.

You certainly don't have to bring it. But without it, understand that you run the risk of members of this forum not caring to read your content.

If you disagree with me about this, that's fine. But now you know how I feel.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Mike Frezon said:
You then go on to say that you do not feel the need to capitalize here on the HTF because you don't think you need to impress anyone here. Well, if that is not a clear sign of disrespect, I'm not sure what is. I certainly take it as such. But if that's the way you want to roll, so be it.
hi mike,

do you feel the need to impress your friends ? would your friends think it was a sign of disrespect if you told them that you werent trying to impress them ?

we must come from different worlds. to me, that (they feel no need to impress me, or they are not trying to impress me) is a compliment.

to most people, what this means is that "hey, i am just gonna be myself. i am comfortable enough with you, that i dont need to put on any airs, or do anything particular to impress you, just be myself."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks