previews

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Robin9 said:
There is one member I would like to avoid - not in this thread I emphasize - so how do I activate this "ignore" feature? I can't find it anywhere.
Just go your forum name in the top right corner of the forum page. You'll see a drop down arrow, activate and you'll see the option to manage ignore preferences just click on it.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Robert Crawford said:
I made the suggestion for others to use on you as you seem to bother certain members.
that is not how your post would have been taken.

the first paragraph is obviously directed to me.

assuming the reader has a good understanding of english, then said reader would naturally think that the author was talking to the same person in the second paragraph as he was in the first paragraph.

however, i certainly agree with you, regarding ignoring me. if any posters find me objectionable for any reason, that is what they should do. i think that is a good feature for the forum discussions.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
jimmyjet said:

assuming the reader has a good understanding of english, then said reader would naturally think that the author was talking to the same person in the second paragraph as he was in the first paragraph.

however, i certainly agree with you, regarding ignoring me. if any posters find me objectionable for any reason, that is what they should do. i think that is a good feature for the forum discussions.
I've clarified my meaning so move on.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
jimmyjet said:

Pot and Kettle both black???

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just wait until you view some rental Blu-rays. Many of them have previews that can't be skipped. You actually have to use the fast-forward button to breeze through them!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Mark-P said:
Just wait until you view some rental Blu-rays. Many of them have previews that can't be skipped. You actually have to use the fast-forward button to breeze through them!
Oh come now...don't throw more gasoline on this dread...I mean thread...

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Mark-P said:
gosh, really !!

i have never rented any sort of video product, so was not really thinking of doing so.

since i really want to own everything that i like.

but at least for me, renting might be a good idea for pre-purchase - on the movies that i have never seen before. depending on how much it costs.

there are a few in my collection that i do not care to own.

right now, i am basically purchasing just the ones that go on sale.

and most of them i have already seen before, even if it was ages ago.

but then i took a chance on "think like a man". and i have watched it 3 times, already. i get a big kick out of it.

so you win some, you lose some !!!!!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
jimmyjet said:
the key word here, is SUGGEST.

i already know about the ignore feature, and am currently using it with some posters.

someone posted that my posts were a bit extreme. i merely posted the same thing back. i was not complaining about this poster bothering me with his posts, and at least at this point, i have no desire to ignore this particular poster.

thank you for your suggestion.
I made the post about your posts and you'll be hard-pressed to find the word "extreme" in it - I can save you the trouble - it's not there. Words have meanings - "outre" does not mean "extreme."

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Robert Crawford said:
First off, what others do with their monies is there personal business. You don't want to spend your monies because what studios are doing then go for it, but I can't stand it when others suggest what I should do with my money.

Secondly, for the general membership, if certain members are bothering you with their posts/threads then use the ignore feature on them and they simply disappear from you sight line.
Thanks for the suggestion - I didn't know where that function was - if it continues along these lines I think I will partake of that function for the first time on any board ever.

Reactions: ahollis

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Don't you wish the Blu-ray makers had never heard of java so they'd have to make DVD-style menus with few bells, whistles and other assorted junk that gets in the way of enjoying the movie?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Let's stay on topic here everyone...which, I believe, is about releases with trailers (not ads and not forced trailers...just trailers).

The personal back and forth is not going to help anything.

jimmyjet said:
regarding my buying habits, i purchase WAY MORE than the average person.
You have a Blu-ray collection of 25, Jimmy. Are you figuring that the "average person" doesn't buy ANY Blu-ray discs?

==================================

And just keep in mind that I've read on this forum--on more than one occasion--of times when HTF members have specifically purchased "Title A" for no other reason than it contains a trailer to "Title B" which is not on the disc of the release of "Title B."

Many people here are film fanatics and don't find trailers offensive and, in fact, seek them out. "People of all stripes...", etc.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
You have a Blu-ray collection of 25, Jimmy. Are you figuring that the "average person" doesn't buy ANY Blu-ray discs?
Not that I've taken a poll or have any data but I think 25 could be high for the average person who only really buys blockbusters or gets a couple movies as holiday gifts. For me, 25 is just a really crazy month but I could see 25 or less being the entirety of many people's collections.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
May I take this opportunity to brag to Jimmy about my collection of 2300 movies? 760 of them in the Blu-ray format. :D

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
regarding my blu-ray comment - i think what i said was that i purchase way more than the average person.

i dont think it has even been a month since i received my first blu-ray.

i am not foolish enough to think that i OWNED more disks than videophiles on a video site.

i am not even foolish enough to think that i will purchase more disks than videophiles on a video site.

but in the past month, i have purchased (i guess it is 25) blu-ray disks. do you seriously think that is anywhere close to being average ? i would guess that is more likely to be in the top 1%.

you guys gotta realize something - YOU ARE NOT TYPICAL with regards to video. that is not a put-down in the slightest way. i am not typical in lots of ways.

the one thing that i do interject here is that i am more likely to share opinions with the average person, regarding video. i am more like an amazoner, which probably has lots to do with why at least certain posters may find me objectionable.

i have already found out that most of you guys actually prefer grain in your movies. and while i am not convinced that the majority of htf prefer ads on their disks, it may be that they prefer it more than the average person does.

but for me, i dont allow myself to be manipulated. as i said before, this forced advertising is really an insult and a slap in the face to me.

as much as i liked "think like a man", if i had known it had advertising, i would not have bought it.

hopefully these studios will figure out what mr. macy did on miracle on 34th street - it is more profitable to actually please the customer.

i was a well-compensated systems analyst, by profession. so it was my job to analyze a system, figure out how to make it better, and then actually do the programming to accomplish the task.

the very first thing that needs to be understood is "what is the goal ?"

if a studio came to me for a suggestion, wanting to know "how to please the customer", then i could develop a very good system for said studio to do just that.

it is obvious to me what this forced advertising is, and it has nothing to do with wanting to please the customer.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i guess i need to add 7 to my BIG COLLECTION !!

i was gonna go back to beaver, when i discovered i had the 7-disk star trek original motion picture collection.

i am pretty sure that my first blu-ray tv show will be the twilight zone, when it goes on sale.

i have so much to view, that i no doubt will purchase some things that i never end up watching - so i can be patient, in terms of waiting for them to go on sale.

ahollis

Premium
Real Name
Allen
Robert Crawford said:
I've got a bigger problem with 8800 plus movies with over 1700 of them in the BD format.
Fortunately or unfortunately I'm not far behind you Robert. With this thread and the one on Grain I can only say my thoughts are that Jimmy is very naive or is just baiting us. Since he has been a member since 2009 I'm not sure of the naivety of this. I have been dealing with previews before the movies since the VHS days. Just glad I can skip forward now instead of fast forward. As the line from Star Wars says "Nothing to see here ... move along... move along."

Reactions: Walsh61

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chsblr