What's new

Preview of Best Buy Black Friday Ad for Media (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
There is several other titles that I wanted to pick up but I chose not to. Either I hadn’t seen it or I opted for a digital copy.

I’m hoping that iTunes will have some good deals in the coming weeks too.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Best Buy cancelled my order of 4K The Dark Knight Rises and Black Hawk Down, saying they did not know when they'd be able to get them. Kind of bizarre, as I checked their website after I received the cancel notice and both were still showing as available for ordering/shipping.

That's a bummer.

Don't think I ran into that (yet?) so far...

_Man_

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Was thinking about ordering "Requiem For A Dream" UHD from BB, but their delivery ETA was first week in January 2021, so I passed, since I figured it would get canceled too. Plus $3.99 for shipping wasn't really heating my jets...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I managed an all-time low in BF purchases of BD/UHD this BF:

UHD Birds of Prey
BD Steel book of Tomb Raider.

That's it.

Patrick: I remember being AMAZED at your long BF purchase lists years ago. So many discs purchased for co-workers, family, friends, dog-catchers, etc. It was crazy!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Was thinking about ordering "Requiem For A Dream" UHD from BB, but their delivery ETA was first week in January 2021, so I passed, since I figured it would get canceled too. Plus $3.99 for shipping wasn't really heating my jets...

IF you're at all interested in inexpensive, digital streaming versions and haven't signed up for Fanflix's promos yet, they currently have a 3-for-$5 BF deal on a handful Lionsgate(?) titles in 4K (for iTunes or Vudu/Fandango) that includes Requiem for a Dream.

I just bought that plus Kick-Ass and 3:10 to Yuma myself.

Can't beat that price for 3x 4K digitals.

_Man_

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any news on cyber Monday sales?
If I recall they are never as good as Black Friday. For movies that is.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Best Buy cancelled my order of 4K The Dark Knight Rises and Black Hawk Down, saying they did not know when they'd be able to get them. Kind of bizarre, as I checked their website after I received the cancel notice and both were still showing as available for ordering/shipping.
My order of The Flash - S6 almost had that occur. For several days it had a "We're trying to get this shipped but if it's not by xxx then we'll cancel and refund." The entire time it was available for ordering. It finally shipped 48 hours before that arbitrary deadline.

I'm still waiting for that Season 3 Doctor Who set to come back into stock. It's been "sold out" for 4 weeks now, was part of the BF sale (while sold out going in), and is now $2 higher yet still sold out... I started to chat with them but it was a 45 minute wait! There's apparently no way to email - which would be easie - you have to chat or call.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Stopped by 2 other Best Buy stores on Cyber Monday yesterday, and found some titles, mostly UHD 4K Steelbooks, over the past few years, I find that I'm drawn to the "collectibility" of the steelbook editions, so that's what I go for when they are on sale.

So my revised list of pick-ups for the 2020 Black Friday-Cyber Monday weekend:

Birds of Prey 4K Steelbook (returning the non-Steelbook version soon)
Full Metal Jacket 4K Steelbook
Ghost in the Shell (Animated) 4K Steelbook
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood 4K Steelbook
Requiem For A Dream 4K (can't believe I found this on the shelves, website said not available within 250 miles. Heh)
Spider-Man Far From Home 4K Steelbook
Spider-Man Homecoming 4K Steelbook
Tomb Raider BD Steelbook

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Patrick: I remember being AMAZED at your long BF purchase lists years ago. So many discs purchased for co-workers, family, friends, dog-catchers, etc. It was crazy!

Nowadays, can't even give away discs... no one wants them. The times, they are a-changin' :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Stopped by 2 other Best Buy stores on Cyber Monday yesterday, and found some titles, mostly UHD 4K Steelbooks, over the past few years, I find that I'm drawn to the "collectibility" of the steelbook editions, so that's what I go for when they are on sale.

So my revised list of pick-ups for the 2020 Black Friday-Cyber Monday weekend:

Birds of Prey 4K Steelbook (returning the non-Steelbook version soon)
Full Metal Jacket 4K Steelbook
Ghost in the Shell (Animated) 4K Steelbook
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood 4K Steelbook
Requiem For A Dream 4K (can't believe I found this on the shelves, website said not available within 250 miles. Heh)
Spider-Man Far From Home 4K Steelbook
Spider-Man Homecoming 4K Steelbook
Tomb Raider BD Steelbook

My 4 discs that I picked up were all Best Buy.

My wife bought a few dvds at target that she wanted.

I ordered nothing from Amazon or target this year. Targets Black Friday sale was really disappointing.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I purchased a number of other films on digital only. I discovered I had a fandango gift card and I also bought an iTunes card from target during the sale.

I’m buying more movies but mostly digital with a few discs here and there.
It's been a horrible Black Friday for physical media.

Agreed. I have not bought anything.

I also bought a mix of discs and digitals. Not sure offhand which I bought more, but I count 22 digitals from BF week. Of course, I'm sure I spent more on discs. My batch of 10 from the WBShop's WAC sale alone probably costs a tad more than the roughly $100 spent on digitals... though I did buy 2x $100 ITunes GCs from Target.

Just went quickly thru my Amazon orders, and apparently, I came close to equaling the digitals count w/ Amazon orders alone (w/ the help of my 1-week-only Prime subs and all orders made w/ "no-rush" :D) -- counted 21 titles ordered for BF week, not including Tenet 4K.

And then, there's the "small" batch from the end of B&N's Criterion sale that included the Essential Fellini set and John Cassavetes set (all bought w/ 20%-discounted, Discover cashback GCs :D)-- technically not BF sale, but...

IF we include BB's BF previews that started a few days earlier, I count 16 titles from BB.

So I ordered little more than 2x as many disc titles as digitals for BF week -- probably close to 3x if we count each movie w/in box sets. Of course, most of the digitals purchases have nothing to do w/ BF sales, so...

Basically, as before, I probably haven't reduced my disc purchases by much so far since starting to buy digitals. Mainly just buying fewer marginal wants and curiosities on discs I probably mostly would've only considered at bargain bin prices or simply wouldn't have found before anyway, which are now easily replaced w/ frequent sales on digitals on top of my streaming subs...

Guess I need to do some more pruning of my buying process so I don't simply end up buying 2x as much as I did before, LOL, but digitals have made so much more readily and cheaply available... and I'm apparently a sucker for a good bargain deal... :lol:

Well, I suppose I should be glad for my wallet (and the WAF) there aren't too many such sales for discs during the rest of the year... :lol:

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am glad you found some titles on sale to your liking, @ManW_TheUncool . There were only a few things I really wanted to go on sale on disc, such as the Hitchcock 4 film set and Back to the Future Trilogy in 4K, but nothing I really wanted dropped in price during these sales. I did pick up the 4K/UHD of The Incredible Hulk for $8, but that was it.

As for digital versions. I have only bought three so far in the month of December. If iTunes has a good sale soon, that may change.

I am actually glad for the reprieve this holiday season, as we are spending money on a couple of big items -- a family room renovation at our home in Michigan and upgrading to a larger condo in South Carolina (we are spending more time down there since I retired, and we fell into a good deal on a unit with more space).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I got that last week From Amazon for $7.99. Received it on Friday.

I'm surprised to see so many people saying it was a bad year for discs. My credit card disagrees. Between various sales the last two weeks, plus Essential Fellini and GoT 4K (I thankfully had never bought any of it on disc) I think I set a record for disc purchases, some of which will still be coming in over the next few weeks.

I might be missing some, but I count 25 movies, the two sets I already mentioned and the Daniel Craig 007 UHD set, with six more arriving over the next few weeks.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I tend to get a lot of gift cards during the holidays so I’m sure I’ll look at some discs later this month.

My list of discs is dwindling but there are some titles that are only on disc that I’m interested in.

I have other debates on titles at times too. I had the
Lord of the rings films for years and I probably only watched my blu rays once. Great movies but I just didn’t get to them often. Of course I’m tempted to see the new 4k versions now...

I also feel that it’s best to sit back and wait for $5 digital films before buying.

I have quite a number of digital films that I have yet to watch as well.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I am glad you found some titles on sale to your liking, @ManW_TheUncool . There were only a few things I really wanted to go on sale on disc, such as the Hitchcock 4 film set and Back to the Future Trilogy in 4K, but nothing I really wanted dropped in price during these sales. I did pick up the 4K/UHD of The Incredible Hulk for $8, but that was it.

As for digital versions. I have only bought three so far in the month of December. If iTunes has a good sale soon, that may change.

I am actually glad for the reprieve this holiday season, as we are spending money on a couple of big items -- a family room renovation at our home in Michigan and upgrading to a larger condo in South Carolina (we are spending more time down there since I retired, and we fell into a good deal on a unit with more space).

I hear yah, Scott.

We have/had some fairly substantial projects and changes to tend to as well, including new roof replacement and my new dedicated HT room and revamp that will take a while though I already began some of the gear upgrades to be completed over the next few months.

I too was hoping for some great BF deals on the BTTF and/or Hitchcock 4K sets, but nada, except I did manage to score an eBay Best Offer BIN for the BTTF 4K set for under $28. IF you'd be happy w/ just the digitals, I'm aware a couple reliable sellers in the Digitals Classifieds are selling the BTTF set for ~$10 -- I almost just settled for that before scoring my eBay deal.

On the plus side of the ledger, we're probably gonna save a good chunk of $$$ w/ our son opting to do his remote schooling from home for the Spring semester instead of going back up to Rochester after completing his recent, 1/2-year, engineering coop internship gig. Just didn't make much sense to spend the extra $$$ (and efforts to arrange) for room and (relatively) poor food options just to do remote schooling in relative isolation up there... and it's not like he'd miss Rochester one bit while staying home in NYC area, haha, w/ or w/out this pandemic... :laugh:

But because he's back w/ us for a long stretch for a change, we have a real pet -- his full grown cat that he adopted as a kitten last Spring -- in the house now too. We never had such a pet before, so the house was not ready for her... and we'll have to adjust accordingly...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I hear yah, Scott.

We have/had some fairly substantial projects and changes to tend to as well, including new roof replacement and my new dedicated HT room and revamp that will take a while though I already began some of the gear upgrades to be completed over the next few months.

I too was hoping for some great BF deals on the BTTF and/or Hitchcock 4K sets, but nada, except I did manage to score an eBay Best Offer BIN for the BTTF 4K set for under $28. IF you'd be happy w/ just the digitals, I'm aware a couple reliable sellers in the Digitals Classifieds are selling the BTTF set for ~$10 -- I almost just settled for that before scoring my eBay deal.

On the plus side of the ledger, we're probably gonna save a good chunk of $$$ w/ our son opting to do his remote schooling from home for the Spring semester instead of going back up to Rochester after completing his recent, 1/2-year, engineering coop internship gig. Just didn't make much sense to spend the extra $$$ (and efforts to arrange) for room and (relatively) poor food options just to do remote schooling in relative isolation up there... and it's not like he'd miss Rochester one bit while staying home in NYC area, haha, w/ or w/out this pandemic... :laugh:

But because he's back w/ us for a long stretch for a change, we have a real pet -- his full grown cat that he adopted as a kitten last Spring -- in the house now too. We never had such a pet before, so the house was not ready for her... and we'll have to adjust accordingly...

_Man_
Man, is your son going to RIT?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That's my Alma Mater.

Fond memories? Have you visited in receiving years?

I visited a couple times and imagine not quite that much changed (on macro/general level anyway) since you were there -- well, I suppose the photography school/dept has undergone a good deal of change along w/ all the tech-and-business-related sea change. Still pretty spartan, sprawling campus overall... though they added this strip mall type area in the northeast corner w/ a big Barnes & Noble.

We know a few other kids also going there now, including my relative's kid and couple others from our church. Pretty solid, if a bit underrated, school for engineering and other STEM-related disciplines, not to mention your own field, especially considering the costs relative to other schools -- probably not fancy enough (and spending like that) in general to compete in typical college rankings game.

My son will probably miss the wrestling most, but probably time to give that up anyway... Maybe he'll finally get back around to picking up the violin again now that he's home and not wrestling, haha... Thought he might take up photography a little partly because of... ahem, this girl, a photog major, he befriended, but that didn't last long at all, haha...

Think my sister originally wanted to go to RIT too, if not NYU, for photography back in the mid-90's. But ended up at Syracuse instead...

_Man_

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks