Preview Chaplin SE quality for free!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Turner Classic Movies will be showing the newly restored version of The Great Dictator at 9 PM EST on Tuesday.

Preceeding the film at 8 PM will be Kevin Brownlow's newest documentary, The Tramp and the Dictator.

For those interested in the 2003 SE DVDs, this showing should shed light into how much is being put into the transfers.

2. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

I just got done watching the new documentary 'The Tramp and the Dictator' on TCM. I also watched the beginning of 'The Great Dictator' and the picture quality was amazing (quite an improvement from the Image DVDs). Now, I can't wait for all the 2-disc SEs due next year (I am hoping that the rest of the films look just as good after the restoration).

3. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Thanks, Deepak. Very good news indeed. [​IMG]

4. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It looks like the NTSC master hasn't been made yet...but the movie still looks great in PAL.

The main difference I can see is an overall cleaner image, less grain, and a much better black level. The sound seems a lot clearer and cleaner, too.

But the DVD's are still incredible. Keep in mind that they used masters which were made in 1992 and all the restoration was done digitally. It looks like the films were restored on film rather than on video...which is what is important.

Even better, it looks like the restoration used the nitrate camera negative...it has that wonderful glow to it!

6. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit

Is there any word if "The Tramp and the Dictator" will be included on the DVD?

7. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    The "Tramp and the Dictator" documentary will indeed be included on the 2-disc DVD set of The Great Dictator.

8. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I watched some of THE GREAT DICTATOR LAST night and was a little put off. The picture was clear, but was almost "too clean." I'm hoping that it was just because I was watching it on DirecTV and they occasionally overcompress the signals on TCM. It's a fantastic film.

9. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

The "too clean" look results from the softness created by the conversion of the master from PAL to NTSC (the only currently-available transfer of the WB/MK2 DVD restoration is in PAL; the PAL master already exists because R2 is getting the DVD in November 2002, while we are getting it in June 2003). I'm sure that when the NTSC master is made, TCM will replace the NTSC conversion of the PAL master.