Pretty In Pink DVD - bummer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Clark, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Dan Clark

Dan Clark Stunt Coordinator

I was really disappointed to read in DVDFile's review that the seldom seen alternate ending was not included. I've always wanted to see that. That changed this from a Must Purchase Immediately to a buy only if/when I see it really cheap. Too bad, because it's my favorite Hughes movie (even though he didn't direct).

2. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Well, as far as I know, the ending doesn't exist anymore. And besides, only diehard fans even know it was filmed...

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I was happy to get the film in its original presentation, and I got it for just $15.99...can't frown on that, really.

Time for a Molly-a-Thon with Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, and Pretty In Pink!

4. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

I loved that there are no extra features at all on it, yet the back of the DVD case says "Extra Features are unrated" hahaha.. Made me laugh.

Chris.

5. Patrick_J

Patrick_J Agent

How is the 5.1 soundtrack?

-pjc

6. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

OK...Being a big fan of Pretty in Pink, this is the first I have ever heard of an alternate ending. Please if you know, what was the alternate ending?

7. Dan Clark

Dan Clark Stunt Coordinator

8. Brett C

Brett C Second Unit

Another case where Paramount Couldn't even muster up a trailer to put on the disc...But being out at all is better than nothing I suppose...

9. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

I got this for nostalgia sake. The quality of the DVD is dissappointing with no extras and OK video and audio. I was a liitle surprised at the quick pacing of this film. John Cryer is really great in this film. Watching this again, I wondered how anyone can fall for Molly Ringwald? Also, it's interesting how kids are smoking during gym and in the hall ways.

10. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

At least it is nice to know that the same mess happens to mainstream releases as well.

When we, the horror fans, have talked about the missing things from certain films (cough, cough) Friday The 13th series (cough, cough) we are told to get over it or that our wants are petty...

The same could be easily said for the forthcoming Collector's Edition of Grease...really there isn't anything special on it...other than the movie itself. (Of course, I am sure that for the films 25th Anniversary, we will then see what a true Collector's Edition is...)

11. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

I agree with Chuck. I think they WILL put out a new DVD of Grease next year...and thus force everyone to buy the disc twice. It's one of their biggest titles, and they are only releasing it bare-bones because its DVD release date is not in an anniversary year....

12. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

13. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I'm not a Pretty In Pink fan, but it is a shame that 80's films(particularly comedies) are getting the shaft from various studios. This film and Better Off Dead from Paramount, Real Genius from Columbia, Ruthless People and Down & Out In Beverly Hills from Disney. Video transfers range from mediocre to horrid and are completely featureless. Now I see horror films aren't the only victims of studio neglect.

14. Matt Bloxham

Matt Bloxham Agent

One of my 80's favorites, I also picked mine up at Best Buy for $15.99. I was bummed that it didn't have any special features, but was still glad that it came out on DVD. The video and the audio are good, but not great. At least the video is anamorphic (unlike Can't Buy Me Love, which isn't in its OAR, so I did'nt buy it) and the audio is 5.1 (great 80's soundtrack)now I wish they would also do the same for some of Hugh's other films of Sixteen Candles and Breakfast Club, also throw on some special features while they are at it. [​IMG]
    Matt:

15. TomF

TomF Stunt Coordinator

I read somewhere that Hughes made Some Kind of Wonderful to get the ending they wouldn't let him have for Pretty In Pink. Does the Pretty In Pink DVD have the original music? For Sixteen Candles, there were many music substitutions on a later VHS release I bought (I assume the DVD is the same). While it doesn't ruin the film, it does detract from it.

16. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

Dan,
    Thanks for the trivia link... a lot of information that would have been cool to see in the extras section that is absent on this DVD. I hope they do not make a sequel... as much as I loved this movie a sequel would leave a really bad taste in my mouth(kinda like weekend at Bernies 2 or Mannequin 2(McCarthy must have really needed the money)) Anyway since the last bit of info on that sequel came in 1997 it probably isn't going to happen..

Thanks again

dan

17. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

18. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    There's something to be said for not double-dipping, but I wish Paramount would start doing it for some of their earlier lackluster efforts like The Hunt for Red October. That's one I won't buy until it's done better.

19. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Pretty In Pink may not have any bonus materials and might be a bit high-priced at a $24.95 SRP...

But Can't Buy Me Love is $19.95 SRP with a pan & scan transfer and mono soundtrack.

At least Paramount took the time to make a new 16:9 widescreen transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 remix, and include the original stereo surround.

I'm sure that if we keep complaining about titles that we REQUESTED or as some have done...DEMANDED, things will definitely change. (This last comment is all sarcasm.)

20. Carrol Jo

Carrol Jo Extra