What's new

Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful Special Editions set for 8/29 (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

Yeah, extremely unrealistically, I might add. L-A-M-E. And absolutely no substitute for Molly. I wanna see that original ending, dammit!

I vastly prefer PRETTY IN PINK to SKOW; there's no Molly or Duckman in SKOW, and the soundtrack isn't nearly as good, except for Brilliant Mind by Furniture, but that song is totally thrown away in the film.

Silly reasons, perhaps, but I stand by them. :)

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, PIP's ending is totally unrealistic. It kinda ruins the whole movie - y'know, feeling happy at the end of the movie is very important to me, so of *course* I prefer SKOW. :) I can't believe I'm alone there....C'mon out of the woodwork, fellow SKOW's!

Also, Lea Thompson is much more likeable as the Unattainable Popular Love Interest side of the love triangle, than Andrew McCarthy was in Pretty In Pink. He was so weak and irritating.

And I like Molly Ringwald... but there's something about Mary Stuart Masterson - an emotionally *real* quality about her - I always *believe* what her character's feeling...and feel it too. She's one of those compelling actors for me, y'know where I have to go out of my way to see EVERY movie they make...no matter how uninterested I am in the plot or other actors, because I know *she'll* be awesome, at least. I even bought the crapfest that is "Chances Are" for her! I had to suffer through Robert Downey Jr.'s hyperactive hijinks and Cybill Shepherd letting her bra do all her acting. Sigh...but Masterson was masterful. :) She took a nothing part, with very little screentime and made the strongest impression...that's a gift.

Okay, back on topic... sorta. It's a shame Paramount owns these films... they suck. The Breakfast Club *should* be reconstructed. Still, John Hughes shouldn't abandon his movies completely to their mercy... he should do bonus material for the fans.

I guess I'm just asking for it, but here's another unpopular opinion... :) Am I the only one who hates Sixteen Candles? I mean, I saw it as a kid, thought I liked it, but all I remembered about it was the final scene of Molly and her birthday cake (and the fact that her parents forgot her birthday), so i watched it again years later and was APPALLED by the racist humour and especially by that scene where the "hero" (Molly's love interest) encourages the geeky kid to have his way with the hero's former girlfriend...while she's UNCONSCIOUS. So...basically condoning rape, and playing it for laughs. Yikes. What was John Hughes smoking? I know it was the early 80's and movies were still in that Porkys mentality, I guess, but Sixteen Candles seems to be lauded as this sensitive, realistic portrayal of teen angst... and yet it's a raunchy party movie? Was it meant for young girls to relate to? Or for frat boys to get off on? I don't get it. Maybe there was studio interference and they were trying to appeal to too many different groups.

Okay, now I've gone waaaay off-topic. I'll shaddup. Call me when the extras are announced. :)

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
perhaps the footage couldn't be found. at least there's on-set footage of it being shot.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Picked both of these up yesterday for $8.98 each at Sam's Club.
Being a huge John Hughes fan, I had to rebuy these although I already own the first dvd releases.

Watched all the special features on both films before I watched the movies.
If you are a fan of these movies, I have 2 words for you...BUY THEM.

-Pretty in Pink.
The special features on this disc are amazing. quite possibly the best specials I have ever seen on a dvd. Director Howard Deutch, Molly Ringwald, Andrew Mccarthy, and John Cryer give you more than you ever needed to know about behind the scenes of the film. The featurettes use old footage(interviews, snippets) of the actors, and current interviews. While the old interviews give you a little to go on, it's the new interviews that blow all the secrets wide open. Ringwald is especially teriffic and has the most on screen interview time. It's just a little heartbreaking to watch her talk about how magical it was working on the film, and what a great time she had. She dishes on the Chemistry beween her, and Andrew Mccarthy (she had a huge crush on him) and the result: the scenes of them together were magnetic.
It's true the original ending isn't on the disc, but quite honestly there is so much compelling footage on this disc, that it doesn't even matter. When I finished watching all the features I just wanted to give Molly Ringwald a big hug...seriously she is just so genuine, and touching in the interviews. I love it. I haven't watched the commentary by Howard Deutch yet, but plan to soon.

-Some Kind Of Wonderful

The special features on this disc aren't as plentiful as Pretty In Pink, but there is still a ton of info on the Making of feature, and the Meet The Cast feature. Things like Lea Thompson, and director Howard Deutch are married in real life. Eric Stoltz, Lea Thompson, and Mary Stuart Masterson have plenty to say about the film, but strangely the interview with the actress who played Eric Stoltz's teenage sister in the film had me in tears. She talks of a very tragic story. I watched the film with the commentary by Deutch, and Lea Thompson, adn it was very informative, and fun.

Again, these are way worth the price. I just hope all the other John Hughes productions get this kind of special treatment. If that happens, I will be truly happy.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone confirm if a new transfer/master has been done for these new SEs or are they the same as the previous releases? Thanks.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The picture, and sound for the special editions are identical to the previous releases on dvd.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Sorry about the misinformation. My mistake.

After checking the picture on both releases again I did notice the picture from the newer P I P is slightly better, and more natural looking.
the differences are slight, but I would love to know to if these are going to get a HD dvd release? I plan to buy a player early next year, and just thought if the picture looks this great, imagine a HD release.

Patrick.C

Second Unit
These two films became available this week (along with the SE of Ferris Bueller) in the "Too Cool for School" box set. I haven't been able to find this locally and was wondering what the packaging was like. Has anyone seen it? Is it just a slip case over the three standard keepcases?

Frinkazoid

Auditioning
Real Name
Frink
According to Amazon, all three DVD editions of Some Kind of Wonderful have been discontinued: the original 2002 release, the 2006 Special Collector's Edition and the 2008 "I Love the 80's" edition with a bonus CD. Also out-of-print is the aforementioned Too Cool for School box set, though both Pretty in Pink and Ferris Bueller's Day Off remain in-print.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks