What's new

Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful Special Editions set for 8/29 (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Yet another announcement from DavisDVD (I swear I don't work for them). Both are set to include a commentary by director Howard Deutch and featurettes. Judging from the specs, the "Pretty in Pink" DVD might possibly include the film's original ending. If you look at the info posted at DavisDVD, you can make your own judgements. To me, it looks to be a featurette about it instead of the actual ending.

Also, the commentary on Some Kind of Wonderful will also feature Lea Thompson as well.

I only care about Pretty in Pink; never cared too much for Some Kind of Wonderful, but there are people who like it and I can respect that.

All I can say is I'm glad I never picked up the original copy, although I was tempted a couple of times there. Glad I waited.

Retail is $14.99 a piece.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Excellent news! I often wondered why I hadn't gotten 'round to picking up my fave '80s teen comedy-drama (PRETTY IN PINK) on DVD yet, and now I know why! I'd KILL to see that original ending...I dearly hope it's included!

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Pretty in Pink is very tempting. Some Kind of Wonderful is just Ok although the scene where Stoltz shows his sketch to his detention buddy who then shows him what he's been carving into the desk is absolutely classic.
I wish Universal would release SEs of their Hughes films which have been promised for years and reportedly have had extras ready for.

John*P

Second Unit
I must say that I am very disappointed that John Hughes isn't participating in these commentary tracks...or probably on any of the featurettes. (I wonder if Paramount even asked him, or if they even told him they were doing these SEs?)

Yeah, that was my initial impression as well. :-/ We'll see...

jeff strickler

Stunt Coordinator
John Hughes and the studios do not get along.

I swear I read somewhere that he won't participate in extras anymore unless the studios spring for better quality (a BREAKFAST CLUB "reconstruction" comes to mind). And I think he severed ties with Paramount completely in recent years.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

I'm inclined to believe that, especially since his commentary track from the original FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF DVD was notoriously absent from the new expanded DVD that came out recently. I don't know if commentary tracks are owned in perpetuity by the studios that record them or if participants get back-ends from their usage, but I would not be surprised if either he denied permission to repurpose it or Paramount omitted it so as not to repay him.

I don't blame him for being difficult. He has made a lot of money for the studios he worked for, created an entire subgenre. And in the years his movies have been available on video, they have suffered song substitutions, poor transfers, and featureless presentations. Even today, if you buy any of his movies you'll get the proper theatrical version, but that's about all you'll get. No trailers (music reclearance), few retrospective interviews (no desire to pay talent to appear), and no extra footage (unwilling to comb vault for scenes). Meanwhile, derivative sheiss like 13 GOING ON 30 gets the royal treatment. I can totally see Hughes going Cameron Frye on this whole matter.

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
The original ending was included in the movie tie-in novel when the film was in general release. And is a drastic left turn from the flow of the film . I cant wait to see it .

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I read that hughes liked the original ending more, but didn't want to give the message that cross-class relationships couldn't work.

John*P

Second Unit
Well, I just saw the cover art for these 2 DVDs...

Some Kind of Wonderful: Special Collector's Edition

and...

Pretty in Pink: Everything's Duckie Edition

No, I didn't make that second one up; it's too stupid to make up...

You can see the covers at DavisDVD.com

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

Good god, that's just sad! Who exactly are they paying to come up with these gems?? lol. Seriously though, I'm definitely getting "Pretty In Pink". I've come across it a few times at the Wal-Mart bargain bin but never picked it up. Good thing I waited.

Patrick.C

Second Unit
The Digital Bits is reporting that Paramount is going to release a "Too Cool For School" box set on 10/10 with Ferris Beuller's Day Off (Beuller Beuller edition), and the new versions of Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful listed in this thread.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Extras, extras...I'm dying to read all about it. It's all I care about, since I already have the earlier editions. Hopefully the Everything's Duckie edition means that a certain alternate ending featuring Duckie, will be included. 'Cause at least *that* would give the silly edition name some *meaning*. :)

Am I the only one who prefers Some Kind Of Wonderful to Pretty In Pink? I think it's more realistic, not to mention more satisfying at the end. And Mary Stuart Masterson is such a great actress... you can tell she's got a backstory for her character all figured out, adding layers to her performance that aren't spelled out by the script. She's just so damn cool. Oooh, wouldn't it be nice if she and/or other cast members did audio commentaries for these movies? Even if they can't get John Hughes, try to get the actors to participate! Be a pretty lame special edition with no commentaries or deleted scenes....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks