What's new

Pretty in Pink (1986) (1 Viewer)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
It's tough to believe that the iconic '80's teen film Pretty in Pink still isn't on Blu yet. It's an extremely well-done film with a great story, good acting, and an incredible soundtrack.

Even though I never saw this back in the '80's, I do remember hearing songs from the film as a teen - notably OMD's "If you Leave", "Bring on the Dancing Horses", "Pretty in Pink" by the Psychedelic Furs, "Left of Center", etc. And, I had bought the excellent soundtrack on CD long before actually seeing the film. Very iconic, and the scenes the songs were played over were very appropriate.

The message about looking beyond someone's financial/social position in life & instead finding value in the type of person they are was quite powerful, and a good message/life lesson for anyone, no matter how old you are.

The scene when Molly Ringwald had the conversation with her father (played by the late, great Harry Dean Stanton) about her mother leaving the family years before was quite poignant. Very deep for an '80's teen film.

It was cool that the MR character worked at a record store. I'm a huge music fan, and it's nostalgic to see this element in the film, especially as the years pass. I.e., many dedicated record/CD stores like this one have all closed in the past 5-10 years.

Prior to reading about this online, I had no idea that it was intended for Molly Ringwald to end up with Ducky (John Cryer) at the end of the film, or that fans of the movie were disappointed that she & Ducky didn't end up together. If you watch the film carefully, Molly has 0 romantic feelings for Ducky, and it's obvious she just sees him as a geeky, somewhat annoying friend that she grew up with - and that's it. So, I find it extremely realistic that she ends up with the Andrew McCarthy character at the end of the film - since it's 100% evident that she liked him better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks