What's new

Presumed Innocent/Frantic Blu-Ray - Double Feature Review (1 Viewer)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Harry-N said:
If they paid me what I paid for the disc, then I got it free, right? Are you suggesting that others are getting a better deal than that?
Harry
Sure, but they "paid" you for a faulty disc and they aren't covering the cost of the new, corrected disc. Meanwhile, they paid me to take back the old (faulty) disc AND they paid for my new (corrected) disc. I suppose if I was more savvy I could have used that $22 credit they gave me and used it on other (better priced) discs at Amazon and then gone to Best Buy and gotten the new FRANTIC at the lower price. I still have the $10 in Amazon credit for the return of my old FRANTIC disc that I can use on something else. So, overall I got $32 in credit from Amazon.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Jon, it's great that (if I read this correctly) they both refunded your money for a returned disc, and they gave you a free new one. Somehow that doesn't seem fair to me from Amazon's point of view, but hey, it's their business - let 'em conduct it anyway they'd like. I've been in on similar arrangements in the past, so congratulations. In my case, I still have the errant disc to either keep or sell,
Just on a whim today, I was driving past the entrance to our local shopping center with the ill-stocked Best Buy, so I thought I'd only waste a tiny amount of gas and time pulling in and checking out their stock. Sure enough, on the end-cap display were a bunch of two-fer Blu-Rays, with PRESUMED INNOCENT/FRANTIC prominently on the top. Remembering the caveat that the new disc package had a replacement sticker over the UPC area, I looked and saw that indeed there was a sticker. So, I took advantage of the $14.99 price and bought one, brought it home and checked out the scenes in question.
[Bad French Accent]
"Yes...it is true...incredible...incredible stuff."
[Accent mode off]
The scenes now play correctly in English, restoring the film to the way it should have been all along.
Harry

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Last week my Best Buy suddenly had a dozen or more copies. I had to do a bit of traveling which kept me from following up, so finally today I went in, armed with the correct UPC number, and got the second to last copy for $15, a price deal ending today. Just watched Frantic straight through for my first time since 1988. Wonderful! What a treat!

And what an amazing situation. How often does something -- anything -- get corrected this quickly? I guess about as often as a major director contacts a studio and tells them it needs correcting. Thank you, James, for your efforts in this.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
Yesterday I found the corrected Blu version over at BB and finally last night watched the WS version of Frantic for the first time ever, the audio track is exactly as I remember from the original P/S DVD release..
PQ is not up to today's standards and the audio track is only 2CH DD, but regardless, this presentations is far superior to the original P/S Region 1 USA DVD. Thanks to all involved in this effort.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
The corrected BD showed up today - it's so fantastic to finally have this wonderful film as originally intended.

James - thank you so much for seeing this through. Your initiative and perseverance in this matter has allowed countless viewers to enjoy this masterpiece as Polanski truly intends - you should be very proud of your accomplishment!

As someone who has followed this thread since the very start (and even bought the French BD!), I'd like to thank you again for this truly legendary result.

Cheers from Australia,
Will

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What was wrong with the original Frantic disc? Also, was the defect throughout the entire film?

Crawdaddy

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
A small number of scenes that are supposed to be in English (and include a character whose inability to speak French is a major plot point) are instead dubbed into French.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by cafink
A small number of scenes that are supposed to be in English (and include a character whose inability to speak French is a major plot point) are instead dubbed into French.
Thank you. I was wondering if it's worth purchasing again.

Crawdaddy

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Its a grand total of approx 5 mins of the film, but it's throughout the entire film. Various lines are redubbed in about 1/2 the scenes.
To my mind the redubbing makes the film completely incoherent, as language and communication/inability to communicate are an absolutely core theme of the film.
I say replace if you can. Unfortunately no news yet on a Warners exchange, I haven't had a chance to call them again.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Will*B said:
The corrected BD showed up today - it's so fantastic to finally have this wonderful film as originally intended.

James - thank you so much for seeing this through. Your initiative and perseverance in this matter has allowed countless viewers to enjoy this masterpiece as Polanski truly intends - you should be very proud of your accomplishment!

As someone who has followed this thread since the very start (and even bought the French BD!), I'd like to thank you again for this truly legendary result.

Cheers from Australia,
Will
Yet again, I'm honestly quite moved to know there are other people out there who are so pleased. :)

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Quick update: It appears that the subtitle track has been corrected as well. It now reflects the English audio track, so no more "(SPEAKING FRENCH)".

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
I am so glad I waited for a corrected version prior to purchasing this film. I just watched this for the first time last night (had never previously seen it, theatrically nor on home video). I must say, the incorrect soundtrack would have been a substantial detriment to the film. As a person who cannot speak French, I really felt right there with Dr. Walker... the language barrier really adds to the feel of confusion and desperation. That would've been compromised if certain conversations had instead been dubbed in English (or had Walker speaking French).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This has showed up at BJ's for $7.99 so gonna stop in and hopefully find it to be the correct version.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Finally around to watching Frantic.
Looks very good.
About 42 minutes in he does speak on the phone and says two maybe three French words.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
TonyD said:
Finally around to watching Frantic.
Looks very good.
About 42 minutes in he does speak on the phone and says two maybe three French words.
Sounds like you did not get the corrected disc. Everything Ford says on the phone, should be in English, IIRC.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
He says one line in French in the middle of leaving that message: "I don't speak French", in awkward French. That surely is correct.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Chas in CT said:
He says one line in French in the middle of leaving that message:  "I don't speak French", in awkward French.  That surely is correct.  
Sounds reasonable. Haven't looked at either disc (I've owned both) in over a year.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Chas in CT said:
He says one line in French in the middle of leaving that message:  "I don't speak French", in awkward French.  That surely is correct.  
That was what I heard. This was the only French he speaks in the film on the new bluray.
Corrected bar codes and corrected disc.

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Agermose Jensen
Does anyone know if the disc was fixed in other areas besides the US? Specifically if the UK and Scandinavian editions contain the correct English soundtrack?

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
The Australian disc seems to be OK... I haven't watched it right through but checked the offending scenes and everything seemed in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks