What's new

PRESS RELEASE: Three films by Richard Quine (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Three New-to-DVD Films by the Iconic Director of Optimistic 1950s Comedies

THE FILMS OF RICHARD QUINE:

It Happened to Jane
My Sister Eileen
Strangers When We Meet

Available on DVD for the First Time February 22, 2005

Richard Quine, known for his lighthearted, sparkling comedies of the 1950s that perfectly captured the Eisenhower era, including Sex and the Single Girl and Bell, Book and Candle, will be honored by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on February 22, 2005 with three new-to-DVD films: IT HAPPENED TO JANE, MY SISTER EILEEN and STRANGERS WHEN WE MEET. Each will be available for $19.94 SLP.

Richard Quine, born in Detroit, began his professional life in vaudeville before turning to the legitimate stage and then movies first as an actor and, from 1948 onward, as a director. Working with such icons of the 1950s as Mickey Rooney, Jimmy Stewart, Audrey Hepburn, Lauren Bacall, Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon and William Holden, Quine established himself as a talented director of feel-good comedies that frequently included snappy musical numbers. But as tastes changed, Quine, feeling left behind and unable to make the kind of films he wanted, eventually committed suicide in 1989 at age 68.

It Happened to Jane (1959)
Starring: Doris Day (1960 Oscar® Nominee, Pillow Talk), Jack Lemmon (Eight-time Oscar® Nominee, Two-time Oscar® Winner, 1974 Best Actor Save The Tiger, 1956 Best Actor Mister Roberts), Ernie Kovaks (TVs "The Ernie Kovaks Show").

In this romantic comedy, Jane Osgood (Doris Day), a single mom with two children, is in the live lobster business. But when her first big order for the Marshall Town Country Club turns up dead through no fault of her own, it kills her chances for a successful season. Discovering budget cuts at the railroad are to blame, she turns to George Denham (Jack Lemmon), her longtime admirer and an attorney, to seek compensation from the railroad's tyrannical owner, Harry Foster Malone (Ernie Kovacs). Jane wins in her local courthouse, but Malone agrees to pay only for the lobsters, not damages. She refuses his offer on principle and the battle is on. The press has a field day with this modern-day David and Goliath story. And the whole country turns to Cape Anne, Maine, to watch as one woman stands up to "the meanest man in the world". It could happen to anyone but....IT HAPPENED TO JANE.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
Digitally Mastered Audio & 16x9 Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English Mono
Subtitles: English, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish
Filmographies
Bonus Trailers
Scene Selections

Rated: Not Rated
Color / Closed Captioned
Running Time: 97 Minutes

My Sister Eileen (1955)
Starring: Jack Lemmon (Eight-time Oscar® Nominee, Two-time Oscar® Winner, 1974 Best Actor Save The Tiger, 1956 Best Actor Mister Roberts), Janet Leigh (1960 Oscar® nominee, Psycho), and Betty Garrett (TV's "Laverne & Shirley") with choreography by Bob Fosse (All That Jazz) and a script by Blake Edwards (The Pink Panther, Victor/Victoria).

The Sherwood sisters get off the train in Manhattan looking for fame and fortune. Eileen (Janet Leigh), a beautiful aspiring actress and Ruth (Betty Garrett), a loveless would-be-writer, move to New York to realize their dreams. After suave magazine editor Robert Baker (Jack Lemmon) insultingly rejects Ruth's corny romantic tragedies, Ruth takes his advice to write about something she really know....her belle-of-the ball sister's power over men. Ruth's secret jealousy of Eileen leads to a web of lies that only an international incident with the Brazilian Navy and a jail-bound conga line can untangle. The optimistic humor of Blake Edward's screenplay and the lively fun of Robert Fosse's choreography make for full-scale enjoyment in this charming "big time or bust" success story.

Digitally Mastered Audio & 16x9 Anamorphic Widescreen 2.55
Audio: English Dolby 4.0
Subtitles: English, Japanese
Filmographies
Bonus Trailers
Scene Selections

Color / Closed Captioned
Running Time: 107 Minutes

Strangers When We Meet (1960)
Starring: Kirk Douglas (Oscar® winner, 1996 Honorary Award, three-time Oscar® nominee), Kim Novak (Golden Globe winner, 1955, 1957) and Ernie Kovaks (TVs "The Ernie Kovaks Show").

Tale of architect Kirk Douglas, who, in the throes of a mid-life crisis, falls out of love with his personable wife (Barbara Rush), and begins an affair with Kim Novak, whose husband has lost interest in her sexually. Walter Matthau plays a lecherous neighbor who makes advances at Rush as soon as he learns of her husband's infidelity.

Digitally Mastered Audio & 16x9 Anamorphic Widescreen
Audio: English Mono
Subtitles: English, Japanese
Filmographies
Bonus Trailers
Scene Selections

Color / Closed Captioned
Running Time: 117 Minutes

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'll second that "Hooray" for more Doris Day!

But I'm truly saddened to read how Richard Quine's life ended up. I never knew.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Nice to see Quine being highlighted in the promotions -- he was an interesting director who had more visual imagination than most people who directed comedies in the '50s and '60s (and he was probably an influence on Blake Edwards, who co-wrote My Sister Eileen).

Though My Sister Eileen is a good movie, I can't help thinking how good it could have been if only Columbia had been willing to pay to use the score of the Broadway version, Wonderful Town. Not that the Jule Styne/Leo Robin score is bad, but the Bernstein/Comden/Green score is better, and Betty Garrett would have done extremely well with it. Oh, well. Still a good movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks