Press Release : The Hole (Seville Pictures)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark McLeod, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

I know there's some interest in this one especially from one Jason Whyte so I thought I'd post the press release for Seville Pictures (Canada) upcoming Special Edition which streets on March 12th 2002.
    ----
    THE HOLE
    STREET DATE:03/12/02
    THRILLER 102 min
    RATED:14A
    *Live VHS & DVD feature eyepopping Silver Foil Specialty Packaging!
    SYNOPSIS:
    Four young students, two girls and two boys go missing from an exclusive English private school. After an 18 day search nobody expects to see them alive again, but one of the girls reappears. Liz has survived the ordeal. As she relives the experience of being trapped for two weeks in a dark, underground bunker, it becomes clear that she is so traumatized by what happened that she can’t sort fact from fiction. But what really happened in the hole?
    As detectives dig through the bunker, a terrible truth begins to emerge, where each piece of the puzzle threatening to expose the full horror of the actual events; an obsession that became the ultimate nightmare.
    www.theholethemovie.com
    FEATURING:
    Thora Birch - Ghost World, American Beauty
    Desmond Harrington - We Were Warriors, Riding in Cars with Boys
    Kiera Knightley - Star Wars: Episode I, The Phantom Menace
    Laurence Fox- Gosford Park
    DVD FEATURES: (DELUXE SPECIAL EDITION DVD)
    ·16 X 9 Widescreen Presentation
    ·Director’s Commentary
    ·9 Deleted Scenes
    ·Optional Stereo French Track
    ·Theatrical Trailer
    ·Trailer Gallery
    ·Stills Gallery
    ·Cast & Crew Bios
    -----
    Note : There is no mention of audio format. I will talk to my contact at Seville tommorow and try and find out the audio format.
    Seville is the Canadian studio who recently put out "Lost and Delirious" and will be putting out excellent editions of "In the Mood for Love" and "Thomas in Love" on Jan 22nd.

2. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

Thanks Mark!

3. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Doug,
    You are welcome. By any chance have you seen the movie?. I haven't but I keep hearing good things from those who have (primarily Jason Whyte).
    You can count on Seville for a nice transfer [​IMG]..

4. CaryA

CaryA Auditioning

Thanks for the info. Clint Mansell did the score, which is enough to interest me in the movie.

5. Gavin_L

Gavin_L Second Unit

thanks mark for the press release, very very nice of you for posting it [​IMG]

6. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Huh. Never heard of it but sounds interesting. Any similarities to Picnic at Hanging Rock?

7. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Yeah Mark, thanks for the info! I've been dying to see The Hole, and I'll be getting the DVD. Glad to see it will be a SE as well.

8. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

The other Mark said..

9. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    I saw this last year, and watched the DVD again last night. It is not a great film, but the story is intriguing, and is far from predictable. There are several shifts in narrative as well , as the story is told from different people's perspective.

However, I think the truth of what happened which is revealed at the end of the film is designed to be a big twist/revelation (a la Sixth Sense) but it is just the opposite, and left me disappointed. Part of the problem is the explanation of what happened takes up the last 20 minutes, and it becomes more obvious as the film progresses. Great twists, like the Sixth Sense and the Usual Suspects, are like sudden jolts to the system.

The acting is fine, if not outstanding, but the score of the film is great. I bought the soundtrack for this as soon as I had seen the film.

3 out of 5 for me.

10. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Excellent news!
    As has been mentioned earlier, Jason Whyte was quite vocal about his fondness of this movie...personally, I think it's more about his Rini-like OBSESSION with Keira Knightley. [​IMG]
    Regardless, I am interested in any title Jason recommends, so I'll definitely be looking into this movie for that reason.
    Well, that and also because I'm totally in love with Thora Birch. [​IMG]

11. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Wow, I'm all over this thread, I'm flattered!
    I found "The Hole" to be a very interesting, both atmospheric and very creepy. It's not really a horror film, but about how a girl's obsession leads to these awful events. It's an awfully manipulative film (I agree with most of Simon's comments); I could see the problems and flaws a mile away, but the solid atmosphere and it's attention to realistic horror had me hooked pretty quick.
    I'd liken the film's narrative to Rashomon (which I haven't seen since Bravo, many years ago, and I need to see again on the upcoming Criterion DVD) which begat many films after it, most recently Courage Under Fire. There's many viewpoints to the story given by different characters, but is done rather well.
    This DVD release sounds terrific. It never came to Victoria (I saw it right after the wild "Asoka" in Vancouver) and it had a very mild run by Seville pictures
    As for Keira Knightley, well, I could just stare at her for days. A little on the thin side, mind you, but there's just something about those eyes that destroy me. And, like Kevin, I adore Thora Birch (I saw "Ghost World" again this weekend, and I stand by my adoration, dammit!)
    Yes this has made my day (and after lack of sleep, I needed to wake up).
    Thanks,
    Jason

12. Larry P

Larry P Stunt Coordinator

Will this be available in the U.S., at least online from DeepDiscountDVD or Buy.com, etc.?

I hope so; thanks for the news.

13. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

its a fairly dark/depressing film, that while I enjoyed for the most part had me confused at the end....

Why was everyone angry at the detective?

14. Michael Dehaven

Michael Dehaven Stunt Coordinator

I found these little tidbits:

The Hole

(15) Daniel Brocklebank, Thora Birch, Embeth Davidtz. Dir: Nick Hamm. UK. 2001. 102mins.

It's shot in Britain - at Bray Studios (Hammer Films home studio).

"The Hole cost £1.5 million of public Lottery cash (out of a budget of £4,158,379). That surely excessive sum has bought only a cretinous mini-drama about a mixed quartet of obnoxious teens from an English boarding school who hide from authority in a subterranean army bunker and become fatally trapped."

"It is a scandal of misjudgment and mismanagement that investment from cash-strapped public funding for the arts should be routed into such a subsidised pile of swill. The Film Council still refuses to publish the accountants' report commissioned last year into the £33 million franchise awarded by Culture Secretary Chris Smith to the French-owned Pathé company in 1997. So long as it remains hidden, doubt will persist about the competence of its management. Films like The Hole reinforce that doubt."

15. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

"Will this be available in the U.S., at least online from DeepDiscountDVD or Buy.com, etc.?"
    Don't think so, unless these guys import. Seville is Canadian based. Although, Upcomingmovies.com did report that Dimension Films picked up this film, and may most likely make it a straight to video.
    Jay

16. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

I assume it will be available from the typical Canadian dealers.. which I hope someone will remind me of again [​IMG]
    thanks!

17. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Doug,
    Yes it will.
    As for US etailers. I know that Videoflicks.com sell Seville releases.
    Oh and BTW : As of right now the audio will be 2.0. I'm trying to convince them that this needs to be a 5.1 release.

18. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Just bumping this up because I received a promising email today from my source at Seville Pictures who told me that

19. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Although I'm going to be talking to you on ICQ pretty soon Mark, thanks for the update. Seville is indeed a terrific company and I'm glad to see that they are finally doing their discs RIGHT.
    I still hear Dimension has this film in the States, but knowing the fact that this never hit theaters down there, it may be a lackluster disc.
    Jason

20. Mikko Rasinkangas

Mikko Rasinkangas Stunt Coordinator

So what’s the latest on the audio format for the dvd? 5.1 or 2.0?