PRESS RELEASE - PS3 goes TrueHD for Blu-ray playback

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MarekM, Sep 22, 2006.

1. MarekM

MarekM Supporting Actor

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060922/20060921006062.html?.v=1

Press Release Source: Dolby Laboratories
    Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby TrueHD Deliver a Premium Surround Sound Experience for PLAYSTATION(R) 3
    Friday September 22, 12:17 am ET

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 22, 2006--Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE : DLB - News) announced today that the PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) will support Dolby® Digital 5.1 surround sound for next-generation entertainment, including games and movie titles in the Blu-ray Disc format.

PLAYSTATION 3 will feature interactive Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound for games, Dolby Digital, and Dolby TrueHD for decoding up to 7.1 channels for Blu-ray movie playback.

2. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    Interesting. It must do the decoding internally and output the PCM through HDMI to the receiver/preamp DACs. It would be nice if it did DTS-HDMA as well, considering all of Fox's titles will be delivered this way.

Mike

3. Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye Second Unit

If Sony can get the Blu-Ray performance to match the AV specs (and that's a big "if", as I can recall many PS2 owners complaining about DVD playback problems), then the PS3 is looking more and more desirable, even to someone like me who hasn't ever owned a console (always been a PC games player).

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Sweet news from the BD camp, not a gamer my self but one can consider the purchase of a PS3 (especially in 2007 when they will be readily available) for the Blue-Ray player with everything available. Sad for Toshiba since the next generation player won't have these options.

5. ppltd

ppltd Producer

What options? TrueHD is already supported on HD-DVD.

Thomas Eisenmann

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Oops, come to think of it Toshiba's second generation player will have it available via HDMI didn't think of that when I posted. Unlike todays player that have it available via 5.1 channel inputs.

7. dkny75

dkny75 Stunt Coordinator

Has it been confirmed that the PS3 will decode it internally? Just because it supports it doesn't necessarily mean it will internally decode it. If it doesn't then you'd need to buy a new receiver (does not exist yet) that will decode True HD. Is this correct?

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I'm worried.

It seems that BD players are talking like they have "Dolby True HD" when really they're just ripping the 640 kbps DD "core" out of it without full lossless decoding.

Can anyone CONFIRM that the PS3 is actualy going to fully decode the lossless True HD?

What about DTS HD?

I really want the PS3 but I'd feel so much better about it if it could fully decode! Because of the high resale potential, I may buy one anyway even with audio deficencies knowing I can turn around and sell it later in the year when better-featured BD players come out and hopefully start to drop in price.

9. I can't say for sure about TrueHD, but the current trend seems to be Sony adding scads of hardware to the PS3 regardless of the cost.

My initial concern was Sony's original plan to emulate PS1/PS2 functions (which would have been a disaster).

Recently, Sony announced that they were adding PS2 hardware to every PS3 to insure near-100% backwards compatibility.

If all goes well, my PS3 will gracefully translate all my PS1/PS2/DVD software into glorious quasi-HD over HDMI.

Sony seems to be pulling out all the stops and hopefully they will do TrueHD right as well.

10. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    David,

Do you have a source on what is happening to "Dolby True HD" audio in the BD players?

It would be nice to understand what quality of PCM I'm actually getting via HDMI for both Blu-ray and HD DVD for my Lexicon MC-12 HD.

Paul

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Nope... wish I did!

I'm right here with the rest of everyone scratching my head wondering about that. Grrr. Some rumors at AVS were suggesting that the Pioneer delay was to get some audio decoding in the player... but I think that was just conjecture.

Wish I knew more!

dave