What's new

President Nixon Liked Movies --- Complete List Of Every Film He Saw As President (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Most U.S. Presidents liked to watch movies in the White House (and Camp David, among other screening locales).

And Richard Nixon really seemed to like to watch movies while he was President (from 1969 to 1974). Jimmy Carter, from the info I've seen gathered, is the President who saw the most movies as Chief Executive -- 580 of them! Carter, in fact, is the only U.S. Prez to screen an "X"-Rated flick while President ("Midnight Cowboy").

I thought the linked list below (of Nixon's screenings) might be of interest to some people.

Kind of interesting to see that Mr. Nixon had free time enough to view more than 500 films while serving as President. He probably saw more movies than some DVD collectors see nowadays.

Mr. Nixon didn't waste much time either -- just two days after being inaugurated in January 1969, he watched his first movie in the White House ("The Shoes Of The Fisherman"). Never heard of it. ...........

MOVIES PRESIDENT NIXON WATCHED.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Wow, Nixon had great taste in movies.

Just glancing at the list, he seemed to really like John Ford, Alfred Hitchcock, and large-format epics. Eclectic, too... Citizen Kane and Lawrence of Arabia... with Kelly's Heroes and Mame. :D

Great to see that he was a fan of Around the World in 80 Days and Lawrence of Arabia, as well.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
What movies did other presidents watch?

And does the White House still use film projection or does it now use video?

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Nixon was obviously a fan of David Lean as well, having watched Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, Bridge on the River Kwai and Ryan's Daughter.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Yes, but I think it's quite possible that Mr. Carter viewed a special screening of the "X"-Rated version at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. *

* = Info provided by "Deep Throat II", my personal source to POTUS. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'd enjoy seeing a movie-watching list for both President Clinton and President Kennedy. I have a feeling I'd like the films on both of those lists.

I know the last film ever seen by JFK was the Oscar-Winning "Tom Jones".

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I know that President George W. Bush screened "Thirteen Days" at the White House early in his term. I believe he invited Senator Ted Kennedy to the screening as well.

I thought "Thirteen Days" was a pretty solid flick.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
:rolleyes:Please. You can attack any film as being a film and not 100% pure truth. Thirteen Days was as faithful a representation of the Cuban Missile Crisis as you're going to get in a film. And the extras make it very clear where time compression, etc. are used to tell the story. The guy at that link just has a political axe to grind. :thumbsdown:

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Regardless of the accuracy of the history involved, I thought the crew and actors did a decent job of developing tension, etc.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Just to note, I have Thirteen Days in my DVD collection. It's not so bad to let other points of view in.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Havent seen 13 Days yet but I kept meaning too.

I wonder what Nixon thought of All the Presidents Men? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.