President Bush To Propose A U.S. Return To The Moon?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Peter Kline, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

2. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I would love to see that. It's about time we as a nation get ambitious again regarding manned space exploration.

It's amazing to think after going to the Moon, we've done nothing more than circle the Earth for nearly the past 30 years I'm not implying that what we have done for the past 30 years is insignificant or not important, because it is. I just think we are capable of so much more.

3. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Nothing bold about it. Just playing catch-up with the Chinese. It's about time.

4. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Peter, you naughty boy, sending Jack Briggs off to the National Review. [​IMG]

I almost posted this story myself a short while ago...

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

7. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Dennis,

You gotta do what you gotta do. [​IMG]

The hell with the moon, we should go to Mars.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Actually, I've been following the space-policy talks and discussions (or, rather, the information that is being released) since they began shortly after release of the CAIB report. Go to Keith Cowing's superb, independent NASA Watch site for several links to stories about the proposed redirection of our national space policy.

I would have posted much sooner, but most of the linked stories were so inextricably bound to discussing the current administration and its politics that I've been hesitant to say anything here.

At any rate, we might expect comments from the White House on the occasion of the hundredth anniversary of powered, heavier-than-air flight on December 17.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

And, Peter, the Moon is vital. It is a viable place for humanity to colonize as well as a stepping stone to other destinations. The Moon rules!

10. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    It always reminds me of the motto for Talon Gold, which was an SDI program back in the early 1980s....

"The meek will inherit the Earth. The rest of us will go to the Stars."

11. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Waste of time. But my sister works for NASA and talks about what they have planned for Mars all the time. I wish she worked more with it but she only works at Kennedy.

12. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

When he asks congress for a major increase in NASA's budget, then I'll be interested. Until then, this is nothing more than talk.

13. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

14. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Absolutely foolish.

Whatever happened to having a "vision." Have we not advanced beyond the 60's? Do we have to turn everything into a re-run? Go to Mars, go to the "center of the earth," but don't waste my money on this!!

15. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Mars is a laufty goal and 1 perhaps worth striving towards, but I have to wonder how close we really are to sending a man to Mars. Isn't it a 2 year trip just to get there right now? Wouldn't you need to send more than 1 person just in case there were some sort of medical problems and such, a lot can happen in 2 years. You'd also need 4 plus years worth of food, unless you plan a trip that stops by the Local McDonalds half way in between.

I don't know a lot about space travel, so these thoughts of mine are not the most well informed opinion and maybe it is more legistically possible than I think, but I would definitely strive for it, but that's just me.

16. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

A lot of space travel is not a question of "can we do it," but instead "how much will it cost the tax payers."

17. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I knew that this was going to happen after I heard that the PRC is making the moon its next goal.

It is sad that... oh wait, I can't go there. I'll just suggest that everyone contemplate what is really going on.

Glenn

18. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

19. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

It is the first step to continue our pioneering spirit. And yes, China announced first, that they intend to do so within twenty years. And while we may be following suit, the reasons are plenty and important, far beyond just "going".

It will be difficult to conduct a launch for mars from earth, due to issues with gravity and the size of the ship needed in order to handle the fuel for the voyage and return. An article appeared in Science magazine regarding this. Whereas the lacak of some of those problems on the moon makes moon based launches more viable.

The moon also may help serve as the driving force behind future innovation - something China has already argued. As chip manufacturers look at smaller and smaller ICs, environments such as the moon provide easy targets to help them produce future generation products; that's the reason why Intel and others have pushed for a prescence in the testing areas of the space station, etc.

Some use the moon as "hey, we've been there". Well, I've "been" to the ocean and waded out 20 feet. It doesn't mean that I know squat about the Atlantic [​IMG] There is a lot to be learned and gained from the moon, and it does provide us with a leaping point in the next generation of technological development.

20. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Strange place to put a penal colony ...oh they left that part out of speech?