Presenting Cedar Creek Cinema...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Sonnie Parker, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

It's complete....

I gotta say it: YAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

A little over 2 months and Cedar Creek Cinema is done.

It was fun and the audio and video results are awesome... better than I could have imagined. I am truly blown away by the image of our PJ.

Anyway... the camera we have is a cheapo and doesn't do very well in a dark room which has prompted me to search for a better digital camera. None the less, I did the best I could with the pics for now. I'll replace later. Just keep in mind that what you see is not exactly what you get... IMO what I see is better than the pics.

I'll post a few pics here but to see the entire selection click on my signature link and visit our revamped HT pages.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a few screen shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So... there you have it. FWIW, I've been (and family and/or others) in the HT room almost every night for the last week or so.

2. Bobby C

Bobby C Stunt Coordinator

Sonnie - looks great!! I'm going through your website now, your dimensions are almost the same as mine so I'll be studying it quiet a bit as I'm just starting my build. Thanks for sharing.
    Bob

3. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

congrats, your theater looks great... how do you like that sunfire amp?

4. Sonnie Parker

Thanks guys...

Bobby... you might want to check out our HT construction pages. It's not great detail but it gives a general idea of what all we did.

Johnny... the Sunfire has been with us for several years now and has done a great job IMO. It's never let me down and always had plenty of power to satisfy us and then some. The VU meter needle is stuck but I'm not worrying with such a small item that I never pay attention to anyway. I'm not sure if it even ever moved but none the less it hasn't effected the sound.

5. don costanza

don costanza Agent

Sonnie,
    Nice job and thanks for sharing. Even got a couple idea that will work for us.
    Appears that you won't have any trouble enjoying it.

Best Regards
    Don

6. Sonnie Parker

Thanks Don... we are definitely enjoying.

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

That looks great... a real professional job. So, with all of the soundproofing precautions, how is the end result?

Did you build that component/dvd rack? Looks great also!

8. Sonnie Parker

Thanks Dave...

I'd say it's as quite as a mouse outside the room but I'd be lying. I can tell you that I watched my reference scene from JP3 the other evening (a great heavy bass scene) and had it cranked up pretty good (testing the sub) and when I went inside the house I ask my wife and daughter if they heard anything and they claimed not a whisper of a noise from the room. But that's inside the house so we've got the HT walls and the house walls between the two areas... I would expect that to control the sound very well. As far as standing outside the room (standing in the garage)... my dad came up to the house the other day and I was in the room setting up my BFD and playing sinewaves from 16hz to 160hz at about 85 to 90db. He stated while he was walking through the garage he could hear what he thought was faint thunder. He didn't know I was in the HT room... he thought I was inside the house-house. Then he figured out that he shouldn't be hearing thunder and realized that I had to be in the room. So... all in all I'd say the sound proofing works. I plan on measuring the STC but just haven't remembered to do it yet. I would not be surprised to find it on up in the high 40's to low 50's quite easily.

I built the equipment console single handed. I started last Saturday morning and finished up on my holiday Monday. I've built several cabinets and bookcases in my time and have all the right tools to do it so it wasn't a big deal really. I wasn't sure what exact design I wanted but had an idea. I started and ended up with what I have now. I would have liked to have had a little more room for the equipment but then the center speaker would have gotten up into the screen area.

BTW... I'm researching digital camera's now and hope to have some better quality shots up within a few weeks or so. We also have to decorate the room a tad more with a few more pictures, etc. Not 100% sure what we are gonna do but it's kinda blah right now... so, it'll look better with time.

9. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Well, I'd say that's a mission accomplished as 85-90db in my basement HT tends to rattle pictures on the walls upstairs. [​IMG]

10. Sonnie Parker

Yeap... I'd agree with that.

When our HT shared our great room there was no escaping the boominess and rattling of pictures and windows, regardless of what room we were in.

There is absolutely no rattles or boominess anywhere now, in or outside of the room. Okay... maybe my teeth rattle a little and my body shakes a tad but that's what we want isn't it?