PrePro vs Reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Jay, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Brad Jay

Brad Jay Agent

Obviously I'm a newbie to this HT Forum with this question but with all this 950 prepro talk what is the difference between a pre-pro and a receiver. Positives and negatives of each and do you need a seperate amp with a prepro or are they the same thing.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Brad, a pre/pro is essentially a reciever without the built-in amps. Let me take part of that back, a pre/pro may or may not include a built-in radio tuner. A reciever by definition has a pre/pro, amps, and tuner on a single chassis. That's convient but except for extremely expensive recievers they usually cut corners on some aspects of the unit.
    I really favour the pre and seperate amps aproach. Your pre is always easy to upgrade. 2 1/2 years ago I brought home a Marantz AV9000 pre and sliped it right into my system. I kept te same amps and just disconnected my Pioneer Elite pre. I expect to do the same thing again eventually when another pre strikes my fancy.
    One thing I hardly ever hear mentioned as a disadvantge of recievers is that the heat of the amps wearing on the unit's other components. I believe that they do. Since 1992 I've had 3 pre's and none ever went to the shop. Some might say I was just lucky and there's some truth to that I'd have to concede. But, I believe seperates will last longer.
    I believe seperates usually sound better. Power amps with their own power supply, not shared like most recievers, usually perform better than those in recievers.
    A reciever is convient but I think seperates are better. If your budjet allows, I think you should strongly consider the Outlaw pre that's due out soon. For the $899 they are going to be charging for it, it sounds like the best value in a pre in ze hiztory ob ze wurld! ...to me and many others hanging around this forum. Then you can buy the amps of your choice.
    A pre/pro has regular RCA component jacks for it's 5.1 (6), or more (6.1 or 7.1), channels. You simply run cables over t the amps inputs. The amps have speaker connectors. Now you should know. If you're on a tight budjet you may need to opt for a reciever. If you can, go for seperates. Best wishes!

3. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Rachael,
    Excellent explanation. [​IMG]

4. Brad Jay

Brad Jay Agent

Excellent!! Now it's all clear thanks for taking the time for such a clear explantion on the subject.

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Di nada mi compadre por teatro del casa. Welcome to the forum Brad, I'm glad to help tenderfoot. In no time you'll be ahead of the curve with the lot around here! Best wishes!

6. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Rachael,

With your vast collection of LDs, I'm sure you have alot of 2.0 movies. Have you thought about getting a Lexicon and letting Logic 7 fool you into thinking those 2.0 movies have 5.1 sound? With the immiment release of the Outlaw (and other prepros this year), Lexicon prices should continue to drop. A fully loaded DC1 should be available under $1k very soon. I've had 6axis and DPL2, and Logic 7 is by far the best on 2.0 sources.

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Ricky, logic 7 would be useless in my present living room (teatro). But! I'm having a condo built and expect to move in at latest by late summer. So next fall or winter I might be serious about a new processor for my dedicated theatre room! I really like my Marantz 9000 + Smart Jr. EX unit. I do have an extra set of Paradigm ADP-170's that I'm not using right now. I'm using Mini-Monitors presently. So, I have the speakers possibly on hand for Logic 7 now. 4 ADP's might be better? The thought of logic 7 has crossed my mind.
    I'll proably experiment with what I have for awhile. I'll proably have to because of moving expenses in reality. An awful lot of my LD's are of really old movies that predate Pro-Logic, but not all. I do have every episode of STAR TREK NG and all but 2 of the available episodes of DEEP SPACE 9 on LD. I'd bet that they would sound better than the phony 5.1 remixes that will be on the NG DVD's. I'm really looking forward to moving from living room theatre to a nice rectangular room! Oh, in my crystal ball I also see a big bad subwoofer too.
    Some things are gonna change....I'm not sure yet. The Marantz has been a real winner! I love the remote too. But the future is a strange place, who knows...? Best wishes!