What's new

Preperation needed for finishing MDF? (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Just finished glueing my stands together and need advice with finishing them. I plan to use truck bed coating for the base, top, front, and back. Do I need to prime the MDF first? How many coats of primer, and how many coats of the truck bed coating would I need to make it look nice.

I also picked up 1X6 birch for the sides and need advise on stain and lacquer if needed. How many coats, what type/brand of stain and laquer work best?

This is my problem area... I know nothing about finishing wood. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

When I built my Emeralds I used two coats or primer and then two coats of a textured paint from Rust Oleum. Sand lightly with 220 grit paper in between the coats of primer and be sure not to sand through the primer back down to the MDF.

The primer really helps seal the MDF. I had some very small spots that I accidently sanded through the primer and just decided to paint over it with the textured paint. It still turned out pretty good but at those spots the textured paint looked a bit dual since it was soaking in. I just had to take special care to spray over it lightly several times until it matched the rest of the finish.

Brian

P.S. I finished veneering my AV1's and put the first coat of poly on them over the weekend. My dad will finish the other two coats of poly during the week. Damn these things are looking good!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Derrick,
The paint was in an aerosol can. I bought one of those little "can guns" to use with it. It makes spraying easier and much more comfortable accept that I always end up with a blister on my trigger finger!:frowning:
Brian

DerrickN

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

Is there any advantage of using Rustoleum paint over Krylon or Walmart brand? Rustoleum texture paint are about $5.00 in my area. I'm just curious because I thought Rustoleum are used for metal and other materials that are exposed to moisture and rust.

Thanks,

Derrick

I found an excellent black "undercoating" for my sub. It's Rustoleum, and I can't remember exactly what its called, but its a rubber coating spray. Its kinda the same stuff that you would dip tools handles in, except its a spray and not as thick. I tried it out last night, and the finish looks excellent to me. The best part is you don't really have to put a primer on the mdf because this stuff is pretty thick. I can take pictures of it tonight if anyone would like.

DerrickN

Stunt Coordinator
Blake,

I know what you're talking about and I saw that at my Walmart store. Please do post some pictures so I can see the result.

Thanks,

Derrick

Here is a link to the product.
Link Removed
I will post pictures later tonight if I can. I don't know how they will turn out though, because the texture is pretty subtle. I will try though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks