Preout volume

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Serban L, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Serban L

Serban L Auditioning

I recently upgraded my system from 5.0 to 7.1.
    I had the JVC RX-8020VBK receiver, JBL 38II fronts, JBL N-CenterII and JBL N24II surrounds. I added the JBL E150P subwoofer and JBL E10 as back surrounds. I am using the AudioSource AMP100 to power the back surrounds.
    During the setup I found out that the volume level of both subwoofer out and back surrounds pre-out is very low. I had to crank the subwoofer volume to max and adjust the LFE channel volume to +6 (+10 max) from the receiver in order to get a decent bass. In a similar way the amplifier is now at MAX and the back channels adjusted to +6.
    I tested the amplifier by connecting it directly to a DVD player and it sounds great with the same pair of speakers even at low volumes.
    Am I doing something wrong or is this the way it should be? How should I calibrate the system: set the pre-outs to maximum (+10) and play with the volume on the subwoofer/amplifier or the other way around?

Thanks a lot

2. John S

John S Producer

Your amp volumes are at max on the sub and the amp powering the rears?

If so, I'm not sure as I have no experience with that AVR.

3. Serban L

Serban L Auditioning

That's correct, John.
    The volume on the sub and the power amp are at max. Is it possible that the pre-amp section of the receiver is very weak? Anyone had this kind of experience with other receivers?

4. John S

John S Producer

I have installed a lot of 2 channel amps for the front L/R for people using pre-outs from their AVR and have never ran into this issue.

What concerns me is the darn sub, that connection is critical for everybody, hard to believe it would just have a week sub output, but as I said, I have no experience with JVC AVR's.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The sub might be an obvious one, it's probably underpowered for your room and listening habits; the 150 isn't exactly a powerful sub and JBL isn't known for great subs. How big is your room?

Not sure what the issue with the surrounds is though, as I've never experienced that either.

6. Serban L

Serban L Auditioning

You are probably right about the sub. I tested it at my friend’s house and it is much less powerful than his JBL E250P. And my family room layout doesn’t help either: it is 17’x13’ with high ceilings (10’, maybe 11’ high). My front stage is along the 13’ wall with an open wall to the stairs on the left and the sub sitting in the right.
    I just assumed that there might be a common problem in the receiver that’s causing the sub and the rear-surrounds to act similar.
    After all my system seems to be balanced using the settings described in my first post. The only question left is: will the MAX setting damage in anyway the sub and/or the rear channels amplifier?

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I used to have an Amp One/A and while it was pretty potent for it's size, I could hear when it reached it's limit (which was pretty high actually) with two small bookshelf speakers. I'm not sure what to say about that one. Direct to the DVD player isn't really a good gauge because they are fixed outputs and are at a different voltage than what the preamp outs are sending. The problem could be that the JVC has too low of a voltage on the pre-outs, and that would explain why both have the same issue like you are thinking.

Does the amp100 have speaker level inputs? Could you compare those same speakers via a speaker level connection? How about also trying the main L&R preamp outs to the same set of speakers to see if there's a difference?

8. John S

John S Producer

Those amp One/A's have to be bridged and run one speaker only. [​IMG] Plenty'o power then.

It sounds like his current sub compared to his room is like parking a bicycle in an airplain hangar? [​IMG]

9. Serban L

Serban L Auditioning

There are no speaker level inputs on the amp. I believe the front preouts work the same, but I'll play around with them a bit more.
    Thanks for your answers, it's a great forum!