Preordering Animeigo Titles

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Silverman, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Hey gang,
    That Macross set is calling to me. . .but $250 for a 9-disc set ($28 per disc) seems pretty excessive for a preorder. They say that the retail price will be $360, which is $40 per 100-minute disc.
    (The current preorders * $250 is close to $3 million- I have no idea what the total production costs are, I was just curious to figure that out. [​IMG] )
    I previously preordered their Urusei Yatsura TV set 1, which I am now seeing online for as little as $17 per disc, less than the preorder price! I am really hesitant to spend $250 all up front when I could end up spreading it out in the future and ending up paying the same or less overall. . .
    What do other folks here think about this?

2. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Well you get to have the discs long before they are sold seperatly, I believe that with UY they are only up to TV vol 3 being available through retail, when the 1-5 box pre-order was released almost a year ago. I now have both of the UY sets. If I waited for a lower price through discount retailers it might be another 2 years before vol. 10 was even released.

3. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

Uusually how AnimEigo works is that their preorders usually cover up production charges and are mainly for die-hard fans who want their stuff first and are willing to pay any price point, no matter what (and it is always cheaper than the Japanese DVDs). But with the remastering and spending over $250,000 just to remaster the 36 episodes, they need to recover costs quickly. And currently, they have over 11,000 people on pre-order (or who want to pre-order), so that should cover their cost effectively for the time being when it comes out late September, 2001.
    I already put my credit card on file so when it comes out, I'll get mine. [​IMG]

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Macross has been fully restored from 16mm prints of the show, Shin has been slaving for almost 2 years to get this to be as pristine as the show can possibly be. I just got back from Otakon, where I personally saw the first 8 episodes. It is worth the money. I don't know how much they spent, but I know that the final pass that was paid for by the high pre-order numbers ran close to $100,000
    Jeff Kleist

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Believe me, if $250 was less of an issue for me right now, I'd have pre-ordered the set long ago! (I didn't get the 2nd UY set. . .but I am still considering it, they have a couple of extra copies I think.)

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Aaron, I know where you are coming from. [​IMG]
    FS: One liver, will trade for anime.
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    So, does anyone know whether they'll be selling the discs individually, or only as a set, once it's released to retail channels?

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Only individually AFAIK, just like Urusei Yatsura. Unfortunately, if the release schedule is anything like UY it will take forever to get them. Animeigo is on their third UY box (discs 11-15) but only up to #3 is available at retail yet.
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc
    [Edited last by Jeff Ulmer on August 14, 2001 at 05:37 PM]

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Individually the discs will be $360, and will not start till at least Spring 2002. UY box 3 will be the movies and OVAs (except for Beautiful Dreamer, which CPM has, but there will be a slot for it)
    Jeff Kleist

10. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Jeff,
    Do you know for sure that the MSRP of the individual Macross discs will be $40 each? That's a different price point from pretty much any other single-disc anime title. . .

11. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

According to AnimEigo, $40 is the price point they are going for when the individual discs come out...even with 30% off, you're still looking at $28/disc (x 9 discs is about $252...might as well get the boxset).
    K.C.