What's new

Premium Cable Movies censored? (1 Viewer)

Colton

Supporting Actor
I was watching Spun on Showtime (or Cinemax) and noticed that alot of the scenes were blurred/censored. Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of paying for premium movie channels? That really pissed me off. Also, this was showing at 10:00 pm. What the hell is up with that?

- Colton

WillG

Senior HTF Member

But even a R rated version would not use blurring to censor out stuff. It just would not be in the cut. Please don't tell me that premium cable networks are starting to self-censor because of fear of the FCC. If it was cinemax, I believe that they get lumped into many packages unlike HBO for instance. Do they still show their "Skinemax" material?

Alex Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
The R-Rated version of Spun does blur and bleep things out. I rented it from blockbuster. so thats what they were probably playing

CharlesD

Screenwriter

But various politicians are making noises about the FCC regulating cable and the new FCC Chairman is not opposed to expanding the Government's regulatory role to include cable. Whether this is just grandstanding or whether such a proposal has much chance of becoming reality is a different question, but the idea is on the table.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Colton, you're not from Utah are you? ;) I have subscribed to Starz and HBO for years and I haven't noticed anything like this.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
As mentioned, SPUN was released in both R and unrated versions.

Showtime (part of the Viacom / Blockbuster family) is one of the more conservative of cable stations. They would only show the R rated version of SHOWGIRLS. They don't show NC-17 movies(although they do show the truly terrible scripted "reality" show FAMILY BUSINESS which goes pretty far). Go figure.

Colton

Supporting Actor
Family Business was scripted? Didn't know that. Yes, you are right - they did show the R version. I need to go purchase the unrated DVD of SPUN. Very good movie.

- Colton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks