Preliminary review of my Benq PB6100

Discussion in 'Displays' started by brentl, Mar 4, 2004.

1. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Let's start by saying that the projector looks nice the unit is small feels quite well built for the money.

The included accessories, single RCA, cheap Svideo, and to my eyes a slightly better than average VGA cable. The only thing I've noticed is that they are very short(around 6'). This makes them useless unless you are planning on using the projector on a shelf which is a NO NO considering the rear fans and the required space allowance.

The fans are not very quiet even in econo mode. The projector sits about 4' above my head and about 2 feet back when I'm seated so it's pretty close. You won't notice it when a movie is going, I watched Time Bandits and only noticed it when I thought about listening for the fans.

The fan thing my be partially due to the fact that I'm firing the fans into the insulation tarp(heavy weight plastic) and I may be getting a lot of reflectice sound.

As it sits now I'm stuck with running single rg-6 RCA cable. I found that one of my homemade rg-6 RCA cables isn't sending a signal so the image is green. Great for watching the Matrix but not much else.

The Pixelworks deinterlacer works great, even at maximum zoom I didn't notice any artifacts due to the interlacer.

I DID notice the odd rainbow, but they were very fleeting. If you watch Time Bandits at the part where they are in the cages getting ready to swing you'll notice little rainbows on the bars.

If I remember correctly the the 1:85-1 image is about 76" diagonal for Time Bandits from 12'9" mid level zoom.

The blacks aren't pitch black, you notice this more when you look for it.

I'll admit that I looked for perfection when I bought this, but am very happy SO FAR. Once I tweak the image a little and watch more movies I'll try to give a little better review.

OH I watch a coupla songs from Chicago and was very impressed with the quality of the image. Even the sharpness seems more along the way I expected it to be.

I guess getting something that can show the limits of an older movie is a good thing, but the next time I won't be going for maximum image size.

Brent
    P.s. The package also includes an adpater for ungrounded outlets. Seems strange to me, but if my house was ungrounded the first thing I'd spend my $1000 on would be an electrician.

P.p.s Screen door is just barely noticable from about 10'6" with a 76" image on dark scenes(dimly lit faces stuff like that).

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Finally joined the FP club eh brent? The 6100 is a great projector from what ive read, with the $100 rebate, even better value. How much did you end up gettin it for?

I am loving my X1 (watched LOTR:TTT on it last weekend... awesome), but i wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 6100. If i were buying now, it would be a tough choice between the two (The DCDi for the X1, vs the longer throw for the 6100 as i didnt want to ceiling mount, and the 6100 wouldve given more adjustment for the size of my image).

How large is the image you're shooting in 4:3? What are you planning to do with a screen? My 100' 4:3 image is too large for Blackout cloth without seams, im thinking of painting the wall, then maybe getting some curtains set up.

Check out getting an ND2-filter as well, i got one 2 weeks ago (~$20 shipped from photoco in quebec). It didnt work as great as i'd expected, but it definitely did improve the absolute blacks.

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

With rebate I'm looking at $1400

Thanks Nick. I wonder how you get along with the X1 because I even catch the odd rainbow with this projector.

I'm stuck somewhat by the size of my screen, it's a 63 by 48" piece of melamine(white coated fibreboard). If I remember it's just over 80" diagonal.

Right now I'm using an unfinished basement wall with this board up.

I got kind of lucky when I went to Princess Auto yesterday, I was able to find a pair of all metal speakers mounts for $13 they look like this
    but without the quick release and the extras.

If I remember correctly these mounts are made to take 20KG each.

Today looks to be a really shitty day in Toronto so I'll spend the day inside watching DVDs.

Brent

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Cool stuff...

Yeah, me and my X1 are doing great... I almost never see rainbows in regular scenes now, only very occasionally with credits... Im one of those people who stopped seeing rainbows after awhile. If i had the 6100, by now i'd prolly not see ANY rainbows by now [​IMG]

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Mick, if you have Time Bandits go to that scene in the suspended jailcells and tell me how many rainbows you see.

That was the only spot that I saw multiple very fleeting rainbows.

Brent

How did you mount your projector?