What's new

Pregnant teen's silly ticket tossed (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I couldn't find the previous thread on this topic. Here is an article to give some closure to that pregnant teen who was issued a ticket for sitting on some subway stairs.

Yahoo News

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
It doesn't sound silly to me, the cop probably asked her to move from the stairwell and she responded by telling him to fuck off.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Carl, there has been a rash of ticketing in NYC for stupid reasons lately. The city is hurting for cash, and the cops are under pressure to ticket for any little offense they can find. One guy was ticketed for sitting in front of his store on a milk crate. It wasn't that he was loitering on the sidewalk, it wasn't that he had a stolen milk crate, it was that he was sitting on the milk crate. If he'd been in a chair, no ticket, if he'd been on a bucket, no ticket, but he was on a milk crate. So do you think that guy, and everyone else in NYC complaining about these tickets, all told the cops to fuck off?

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Because only thugs sit on milk crates?

Actually I think the article covering that case stated the law had its origins in the fact that people often steal milk crates because they're so handy. But from the sound of it he was ticketed for sitting on a milk crate, not for being in possession of stolen property, probably because it'd be extremely difficult to prove that a milk crate was stolen.

Regardless, this is just one in a series of ridiculous tickets given without merit in NYC lately.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
My brother was given a ticket for "causing a scenario which served no purpose"(actual text on ticket) $400 fine. They stopped on the highway to run into the bushes in a designated pullover point.

A lawyer who had dealt with the area court before said not even to bother challenging it, because we would be shot down and slapped with court fees. In 20/20 hindsight, we should have called the ACLU

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
"causing a scenario which served no purpose"
WTF is that supposed to mean? What a bunch of shit. That would have ticked me off so much that I would have disputed it as far as I could handle financially. That cop should have his badge removed.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Yep, there has been a spree of silly tickets in the city lately. Among others, some guy was ticketed for feeding pigeons. You would think Bloomberg the financial genius would have found a better way to bring money to the city than raising subway fares ($1.50 --> $2.00 per trip, $4.00 --> $7.00 for a day pass :angry:), tolls and ticketing for silly reasons.

--
Holadem

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah they even covered NYC's financial woes (and attempt to recoup parts of it via these silly tix) on the news here in Los Angeles, and I had heard about the pregnant teen case.

Come on Bloomberg, there's better ways to generate revenue (like our own Uncle Gray, who will triple the car registration fees and raise state tax 0.5%)! :frowning:

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
And then there's the great story of two store owners smoking outside the front of their own building... taking a brake infront of the store THEY OWNED... since it's illegal to smoke inside, they were ticketed for loitering.

Anyone else think this is rediculous?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I could've sworn those laws were only kept on the books for a good laugh. But I guess I was wrong. Now if they start ticketing people for having an ice cream cone in your back pocket on a Sunday, then I'd get a little worried. (and yes folks, I think that exists in Kentucky law somewhere).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Dome, I know what ya mean! :laugh:

There are some beauts that'll keep you rolling in the aisles for several days. ...... http://www.md.lp.org/weird_laws.html.

My all-time favorite is the hysterical law on the Idaho books .... >> "Boxes of candy given as romantic gifts must weigh more than 50 pounds."

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Another important law in Idaho reads: "It's safe to make love while parked in Coeur d'Alene. Police officers aren't allowed to walk up and knock on the window. Any suspicious officer who thinks that sex is taking place must drive up from behind, honk his horn three times and wait approximately two minutes before getting out of his car to investigate."

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
>> "In Chicago, people who are diseased, maimed, mutilated, or deformed to the point of being "an unsightly or disgusting object" are banned from going out in public."

>> "In Chicago, it is illegal to fish in one's pajamas."

>> "In Chicago, it is illegal to take a French poodle to the opera."

Think these are enforced with an iron billy club?! :laugh:

(Damn! And I was just on my way to the pier in my jam-jams, too!! :frowning: )

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
And for you Buckeyes who are thinking of getting away with murder!! .........

>> "In Cleveland, women are forbidden from wearing patent leather shoes, lest men see reflections of their underwear."

>> "In Columbus, it is illegal for stores to sell cornflakes on Sunday."

>> "In Oxford, it is illegal for a women to disrobe in front of a man's picture."

>> "In Youngstown, it is illegal to run out of gas."

(OK, you guys in Youngstown...better load up on the Pork 'N Beans at the local Kroger...fast!!)

:)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
You're gonna think I made this one up out of wholecloth, but I SWEAR it's on the Pennsylvania books! ......

>> "Any Pennsylvania motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off the road, cover his car with a blanket or canvas that blends with the countryside, and let the horses pass. If the horses appear skittish, the motorist must take his car apart, piece by piece, and hide it under the nearest bushes."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And REMEMBER, don't just use ANY OLD BLANKET! It MUST BLEND IN with the surrounding environs!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
In Los Angeles, a man may legally beat his wife with a leather strap, as long as it is less than two inches wide, or she gives him permission to use a wider strap.

In San Francisco, it is illegal to wipe one's car with used underwear.

It is illegal to cry on the witness stand in Los Angeles courts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks