What's new

'Prefontaine' vs. 'Without Limits': which is better? (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
BB is currently selling both movies for $5.99.

Could anyone comment of their impressions (story and A/V) of either or preferably both movies?

Without Limits is 16x9 enhanced, but Prefontaine is not.

But we all know that this factor isn't the absolute bottom line in terms of picture quality.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Ouch!

Now I know why both movies tanked at the box office.

I decided to get Without Limits.

It's 16x9, was produced by Tom Cruise's new company, stars Billy Crudup from Almost Famous, and then there's Donald Sutherland.

Without Limits also got a slightly higher user score from IMDb.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Without Limits is an excellent film, written and directed by Chinatown screenwriter Robert Towne. I know nothing about the other film.

Ted

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Just chiming in with Ted that Without Limits is a great film. Billy Crudup gives an excellent performance as Prefontaine.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I never saw "Prefontaine", but I own "Without Limits". I actually saw a screening the day before my first marathon. Excelent movie, BTW. The Munich race is probably the best track race on film I've ever seen.

Jason

Berk

Stunt Coordinator
Without Limits is the more professional, cinematic of the two films. Each film offers a different perspective on the Pre legend, with Prefontaine actually being more accurate historically.

If your a Pre fan, I'd suggest watching both. However, if you're looking for the more enjoyable of the two films, it's Without Limits, without a doubt :emoji_thumbsup:

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
IIRC, Prefontaine is more sports oriented ie. has more races, a longer treatment of the Munich Olympics, and scenes about Pre trying to organize an international meet with Finland over the opposition of USTF.

Without Limits is about Steve Prefontaine the man and focuses more on characterization and his relationships. The girlfriend has a much bigger role in this film than in Prefontaine.

I think Without Limits is the better film but I enjoyed Prefontaine too. It's interesting to watch the similarities and differences in how Billy Crudup and Jared Leto play the character.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Both have excellent performances from R. Lee Ermey and Donald Sutherland as Bill Bowerman, Oregons coach.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I agree with most of the others in that I liked Without Limits better, but I thought they were both good films and would recommend them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks