What's new

Preferred Way to Watch "Skywalker Saga"? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
When the big 9-movie box arrives 3/31 - hopefully! - I plan to go through the whole "Saga".

But in what order? Chronologically? Episode order? Episodes 4 & 5 then Prequels before the resumption of Episode order?

Thoughts?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'll probably watch them in episodic order, I-IX, but I may just skip the prequels altogether and view them at a later date, since they're my least favorite of all the Star Wars films. I'm in no big rush to revisit them, 4K or not.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
This question came up a lot when the prequels were completed and I've always felt like theatrical release order was the 'correct' method. Particularly if you are introducing the films to children who have no experience with the set. (When the original trilogy was released between '77 and '83 the introduction of new characters was a pretty big deal; and viewing the prequels first just negates that entire aspect of 4, 5, & 6.)

Discussing Star Wars viewing order; life almost feels normal. :)

- Walter.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
This question came up a lot when the prequels were completed and I've always felt like theatrical release order was the 'correct' method. Particularly if you are introducing the films to children who have no experience with the set. (When the original trilogy was released between '77 and '83 the introduction of new characters was a pretty big deal; and viewing the prequels first just negates that entire aspect of 4, 5, & 6.)

Discussing Star Wars viewing order; life almost feels normal. :)

- Walter.

I'm leaning toward the version that uses the PT as a "flashback" in the middle of the OT.

I've seen them in release order - obviously! :) I did Episode order when I got the BDs.

So it might be fun to try something different, and treating 1-3 as a "flashback" after 5 might be cool.

Open to suggestions, though - that's why I ran the thread!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
If you are looking for new viewing orders, then maybe in terms of critical opinion from lowest to highest - that way it only gets better with each film. Probably not the best idea in terms of a cohesive narrative, but something most folks haven't tried - I am guessing.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just watched all nine movies in December. I watched them in chronological order including Rogue One. When I get the set I'll probably do the same thing again as I want to see if I notice an improvement with the discs over the Disney+ 4K streams from December. However, I will also include the Solo 4K disc this time.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As someone who is very familiar with these movies I would go 1, 2, 3, SOLO, Rogue One, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
That's a tough one for me because I feel like I should want to see them in that order but as much as I like Solo and Rogue One, they seem like detours from the main story if I was watching the Episodes all together. Similar to how I love The Clone Wars but I'm not going to watch all of those between AOTC and ROTS.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As someone who is very familiar with these movies I would go 1, 2, 3, SOLO, Rogue One, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
Same.

I doubt I'll rewatch the entire series of films again, since I did that in the days leading up to ROTS. But I will probably watch the sequel trilogy in order, and see if ROTS plays any better for me in context than it did in theaters. That being said, I have the UHD disc preordered from Target, so I'm going to be waiting for that.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Any way that concludes the story with The Last Jedi.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If I’m watching the original versions of the original trilogy, those first, then the prequels. If it’s the special edition versions, prequels first, then originals. Occasionally I’ve done the “flashback” thing. I like seeing ROTS and ROTJ back to back for maximum Palpatine.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I don't plan to watch the spinoffs as part of the marathon. I don't plan to buy the "R1" 4K - already have the 3D and that's good enough - and I don't see "Solo" as important in the grander scheme.

Not a knock on the movie, which I like, but it doesn't really fit with the Saga - and it'd be kinda weird in the "event order", just because it ruins the "surprise" of meeting Han and Chewie in "Star Wars".

If I showed the films to someone who never saw them, I'd save the "stories" for the end...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That's a tough one for me because I feel like I should want to see them in that order but as much as I like Solo and Rogue One, they seem like detours from the main story if I was watching the Episodes all together. Similar to how I love The Clone Wars but I'm not going to watch all of those between AOTC and ROTS.

Yeah, exactly. They're interesting as "Star Wars" but they're not part of the story being told by the "Saga", so they don't fit into that narrative...

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
That would be exactly my take on this.

If I’m watching the original versions of the original trilogy, those first, then the prequels. If it’s the special edition versions, prequels first, then originals. Occasionally I’ve done the “flashback” thing. I like seeing ROTS and ROTJ back to back for maximum Palpatine.

Isn‘t that obvious?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Normally I would watch movies in the order they are released because most of the time. But in this case that would be a time line mess with the story so I will have to go with watching all the 4K discs in storyline order. As far as Star Wars IV goes watching the saga I will have to watch the 1977 Theatrical!

Star Wars_f.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks