Preferences among 70 hour directivo units?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Charlie Campisi, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Hey guys is there a preference between the two 70 hour DirecTivo units? (I've only seen two advertised at Circuit City, but if there are more or better options, I am open to suggestions.) The two models I've seen are the DTV R10 and the Hughes SDDVR80. Both are $100. Is DirecTV offering any deals that anyone knows of? I have the samsung 40 hour unit currently and just want a second unit with some more disc space. The 40 hour unit will move to the bedroom. I suspect the 70 hour units have all the features I've grown to love on my 40 hr (2 tuners, one touch record, etc.) Thanks for any opinions. I'm happy to answer any questions if I left out something vital. [​IMG]

2. Dave Crane

Dave Crane Auditioning

You should ask that question in the DirecTV w/TiVo Forum at TiVoCommunity.com (Sorry, they won't let me post the URL). It's rarely the best solution to buy one at a B&M. I bought one recently through DirecTV (my first, but I was already a DirecTV subscriber with a stand-alone TiVo) and got it practically free for a one-year commitment add-on. It's a bit of a crap shoot, but you usually win. The local installer ran out of the smaller units and I got a Hughes HDVR2 with additional recording capacity. That's happening all over the country. Installation included adding a drop for the second tuner and dropping two more feeds in my bedroom for the old Hughes tuner, even though it only needed one. (Never know when you might want another DirecTiVo, right? [​IMG])

Lot's of bad comments on the R10 in that same forum. I've never had any problems with my Hughes.

3. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Thanks Dave. I need to check out that forum anyway to get the latest on what happens when the Directv/Tivo agreement lapses. Can you pm me with the specifics of what you got and the price? If I could get a second line to my bedroom, it would be sweet. I already subscribe to tivo tho, so I don't have the new customer angle. Guess I can commit to an extra year if they want to give me a deal.